PDA

View Full Version : Swap hires for lowres obj?

symko
11-09-2009, 07:40 AM
I have many complex objects to animate. Is there a way to load a low res version of the object into Layout to work with, but, when I render a frame, automatically have LW render the hi res object?

icegiantnewtek
11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
This may not be what youíre looking for but...
...maybe adjusting the display settings of the objects in the Scene Editor would do the trick.

Good luck.

IceGiant.

dandeentremont
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
It might not be the most cache efficient method, but you could have the low rez and high rez objects in the same scene and make the high rez only visible in render while the low rez is only visible in layout.

xchrisx
11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
when I worked on some characters in the past I had a rigged HiRes character in my scene but visibility set to hidden. Then I used a low poly proxy object (that I unchecked from rendering) with a single bone in it and told it to Use Bones From Object: HiRes character. Then I hid that single bone in the proxy and animated with the HiRes characters bones. This manipulated the LowRes object so I could see how it was moving, but when I rendered I got to see the HiRes. I dont know if this would work exactly in your situation, but it can definitely help when animating objects with a lot of polys.

Mr Big
11-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Rebelhill has a working example of a high poly character w a low poly proxy. The file is
called Jerico
www.rebelhill.net/jerico/Downloads/J_rig.zip

skywalker113
11-14-2009, 03:34 AM
You can make another object that has the basic shape of the high rez object, then use the replace with object option to switch them around.

go to the items tab, under replace, choose replace with object.

icegiantnewtek
11-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Hi Symko.

I am a regular Lightwave user just like you and struggle sometimes to figure out some of the complexities of this amazing software and I can feel lost sometimes when Iím working on an important project. Unfortunately Iím not nearly good enough to be able to answer 99% of the complex questions asked on these forums so when I can help out with some of the easier ones I see someone like myself that needs a bit of help and I know what It feels like to be stuck with time running out so...

...just a little note on how the whole forum thing works.
You post a question, lots of people spend their hard-earned time and effort posting helpful replies and then at some some stage you post a reply with either some more input or a big thank you to everyone who helped you out. Itís not rocket science, itís just common courtesy.

I have nothing to do with Newtek, I am just a regular user like yourself. I just wanted to let you know because these forums are an integral part of Lightwave and have been extremely useful to many of us over the years and once people start taking them for granted then weíre all in trouble.

Thank you.

IceGiant.

symko
11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
I think Skywalker's trick is going to work best for me. I've done that in the past, I just wasn't sure if there was a better trick I was unfamiliar with. Thanks folks.