PDA

View Full Version : LW Core Sculpt Video at CORE site

silviotoledo
11-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Tried to see it at Newtek CORE page, but it has an error message.

Also the file format seems to be so big. Why not VIMEO or YOUTUBE?

Hope we will have good things to share after saw it!

hrgiger
11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
It won't play for me if I just left click it. Try right clicking and choosing open in new window or tab.

silviotoledo
11-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Finally saw the video.

Sculpt seems to be good.

The problem is that it sculpts with the mouse icon.

There's no Brush shape showing fallof and influence area, what is bad as feedback and interface.

Let's see the next update :)

CGI Addict
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Can you post a direct link? I've been over to the CORE page but can't find that video.

Thanks.

silviotoledo
11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
The link is broken for left click.
so RIGHT CLICK on it and Choose open link on a new window.

CGI Addict
11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Send a direct link please, can't find video you're referring to.

Thanks.

silviotoledo
11-09-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/paint.swf

silviotoledo
11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
and for comparison:

MODO SCULPT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGu9fOmo68o

ZBRUSH SCULPT AND HAIR SCULPT IN MODO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOyYULN79bE

CGI Addict
11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks! Man someone please tell me I'm not looking at a stripped down version of Modo. I know the UI is undergoing revisions but even the sculpt tool uses the same conventions as Modo sculpt.

silviotoledo
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
No Problem for me if they copy MODO

The problem is that it seems to be so above.

Modo and XSI uses VECTOR MAPS what allow us to do complex sculpt without heavy geometry.

It seems lightwave Core is not using DISPLACEMENT wich is less than VECTOR

VECTOR MAP allow displacement in 3 axis, what give you more control around the shape with low poly object.

It seems lightwave is displacing heavy geometry, now a subpatch model. I Hope no.

Cheers

CGI Addict
11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
You never know. Like Chuck and others from NewTek have pointed out, revisions and additions are a natural process for building CORE or any other app for that matter. Vector maps could indeed wind up being part of CORE. I was just surprised at how close it resembles Modo but then again, Chuck also alluded to that UI not being the end all for the final release.

Silkrooster
11-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Please don't judge too harshly with how core looks or performs as it is constantly under development and can change at any time.

CGI Addict
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
You call the above comments harsh? Seriously?

Silkrooster
11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Not what I said. I said keep it under advisement as it can and probably will change. Hence don't judge too harshly. It had nothing to do with anybody comments.

OnlineRender
11-10-2009, 03:10 AM
The UI can be edited to your specifications , IE SKINS and so on .
I love motion builder when you first load up , which shortcut keys do you want to use and it lists them all , click LW thank you very much ,ahhh things seem a little easier , I hope they implement that in CORE that would be my only wish .

IMI
11-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Looks cool. I guess that answers the question of whether or not CORE will have scultping. ;)

silviotoledo
11-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Yeah, SCULPT hability on CORE is really great!

I just want to remember that:

a) We need to work with low poly subpatch objects, not heavy geometry
b) Displacement map is an old technology, although still usefull
c) Vector Maps are better. Hope to see it on core!

and

Brush shape with fallof is important on user interface
Hope sculpt will work with all the other tools, Endomorphs included.

hrgiger
11-10-2009, 12:27 PM

This is what retopolgoy is for. And as far as sculpting in CORE, its no secret that CORE will handle higher polygons counts then classic LW. As to whether CORE will have any retopo tools, I either don't know or can't say. But you always can export to your preferred retopo program as well.

caesar
11-11-2009, 06:16 AM

So what´s Zbrush is all about????

IMI
11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
So what´s Zbrush is all about????

ZBrush is great for extreme poly count meshes if you're doing stuff in ZBrush alone, but for all other program's usage, people use normal maps and displacement maps, since even the Mghty Maya can't handle 15 million polygon meshes. And I guess vector displacement... whatever that is.
Not to mention, Zbrush topolgy isn't at all suited for posing figures or animating deformations.

silviotoledo
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
ohhhhh

I use to model low poly objects with correct edge loops on it.
So I'd like to add details on that low poly geometry.

If the sculpt system allow me to create normal/displacement/vector maps over that geometry it's better. But if It's necessary to subdivide the geometry to sculpt, and we will have to do retopology again latter, we're doing a step in the past.

I think Lightwave doesn't need sculpt this way 'cause z brush does it better.

yeah, z brush also have fine tools that allow we to modelate a base mesh with correct loops to sculpt over and if I would have to use ZBRUSH for retopology, of course I would use z brush for organic modeling too. Nothing compares!

IMI
11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I might be missing your point, but I believe the whole idea is to sculpt in order to create the normal/vector/displacement maps to use on the lower poly mesh.
And of course you have to subdivide to sculpt, unless your object is very high poly to begin with. Nothing can change that.
Now if CORE doesn't have retopolgy tools as well as a way to bake the high res details into maps for use on lower res versions, that would be woefully incomplete, but I would imagine it will.

silviotoledo
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
agree IMI

so let's wait till core will be commercially available.

moc
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I think core's scuplt wokflow should inculde the sub-D to heavy polycount,so you just sculpt them,and you can sub-D backward the sub-d level when you need,like what zbrush/mudbox/silo do .Don't do it like mxdx,they just can sub-d to heavy geometry,when the sculpt finished,you need retopo a low geometry and bake map, absulte a old school flow.

Nemoid
11-13-2009, 01:31 AM
From this video it seems sculpting its only at an initial stage within the app, actually. Looks promising, when ready maybe good for surface detailing rather than real sculpting.
The main point for sculpting is great and smooth performance, and so far i didn't see any traditional 3D app having the same power of Z Brush: even Modo is slow compared to it. Dunno about Blender.

About retopology:
the main point i think would be having a really good background constraint feature, with possibility to have sculpted mesh into a layer, lock it and make it visible as shaded, and be able to use LW tools like make poly or extender, some slice polygon and btw all other tools (even dedicated ones)one may need, to build the new mesh over the old one.
another good feature could also be something similar to XSI shrinkwrap.:)

IMI
11-13-2009, 02:35 PM
agree IMI

so let's wait till core will be commercially available.

I have been waiting. Seems to me you're the one who's more interested in knowing about this now. ;)

Intuition
11-13-2009, 02:41 PM
IMO I think the video is showing mesh sculpting which is different then Zbrush but no less valuable. In Maya and XSI you can use soft fall off to sculpt meshes. Its a great way to block out terrain, add damage to metal plating, shaping character faces (especially if it can scult symmetry).

There are many uses for mesh sculpting. I often use modo for mesh sculpting. It acts liek Zbrush but isn't making any kind of displacement map it is litterally just adjusting the verts. Invaluable in my opinion. Glad to see core will have it.

Now if it can also create multi level meshes and export normal/displacement maps with fine detail like Zbrush that would be fancy too.

IMI
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Now if it can also create multi level meshes and export normal/displacement maps with fine detail like Zbrush that would be fancy too.

I think it would be tragic if it *couldn't* do that; it would just seem incomplete.