PDA

View Full Version : WHAT is wrong with NewTek?

Khumii
11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
WHAT is wrong with NEWTEK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from an AVL conference. Before going to the conference, I had all but decided to get rid of my VT-5 and go with Final Cut pro. It seemed that I couldn't get the support and help from VT that i really needed, and I have had so many problems with VT that I wanted out! AFter being at the conference for 2 days, I started rethinking. Maybe FC isn't better? Maybe Mac isn't the answer? Some of the things that VT will do that FC and others won't, had me rethinking. So, with new energy, I decided to see if I could just find a local VT support person and try to find out WHY my VT won't do the things the manual says it should do. I went on NewTek's web site, looked up resellers and found one provider in Seattle. I clicked on the providers web site and guess what I found? A RESELLER OF FINAL CUT PRO!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! They didn't even offer VT stuff!!! HOLY @#[email protected]%!! So, I decided to go to Newtek customer service. Before I could get off the first page, I was done! I couldn't believe that NewTek is still advertising their office hours for Christmas and New Years - FROM 2008!!!!! GIVE ME STRENGTH! So, now I'm thinking, "how in the world is this company (NewTek) actually going to HELP ME when they can't even update thier website to current years, OR get resellers to sale their products!!!?!?!?!? I want to believe in NewTek, honestly, but I am looking for the nearest bridge!

Kuzey
11-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Are you just going to keep posting this until you get banned???

Kuzey

Intuition
11-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Next time, try this tone.

-------Proper Conduct-----------

Hello Newtek, I happened to notice that its hard to find support or resellers for your products up where I live. I always find Final Cut Pro resellers.

--story about conference experience goes here calmly----

I came to your website and saw that the dates were not updated since 2008 which also gave me concern.

Could you recommend any resellers up here where I live and update the website? I want to support the VT but the competition is pulling my strings pretty effectively up here.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

OnlineRender
11-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Next time, try this tone.

-------Proper Conduct-----------

Hello Newtek, I happened to notice that its hard to find support or resellers for your products up where I live. I always find Final Cut Pro resellers.

I came to your website and saw that the dates were not updated since 2008 which also gave me concern.

Could you recommend any resellers up here where I live and update the website? I want to support the VT but the competition is pulling my strings pretty effectively up here.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

ye that may have worked aswell :D admitly if you work for PC World please stay out of my cross-fire

Intuition
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM
ye that may have worked aswell :D admitly if you work for PC World please stay out of my cross-fire

Ducking ;D

OnlineRender
11-08-2009, 10:11 AM
bi bi thread nice knowing you ! goto be some record set this week ?>

shrox
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I'll close this thread by mentioning scientology and Tom Hanks. Really, not just Cruise! Hanks has his own cult too...in fact, all guys named Tom have their own cult.

Khumii
11-08-2009, 11:04 AM
This would be the kind of Non-responsive help I have come to expect from NewTek. I realize you don't work for NewTek, so my rant is NOT directed at you. My "tone" is from 5 years of frustration and thousands of dollars later, I have no resolution in the works. I have been extremely patient and professional for years, but there comes a point when being "strong" is necessary. And, I didn't mean to post this twice...

Khumii
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
excuse me! it was an accident!

cresshead
11-08-2009, 11:08 AM
it is Sunday...let's see what monday and a new week bring to the party.
did you post a Q on the VT forums btw?

zapper1998
11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
excuse me! it was an accident!

You could have, before you jumped, and vented....

Just say " HELP "

ducks and runs for cover.... :)

ted
11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
find out WHY my VT won't do the things the manual says it should do.

In almost every case, this is due to user error or a poorly built computer, again...user error.
Other than a small number of issues with any software, I can't stress enough, have a reputable dealer build your system for a fantastic production tool.

I've spent a large part of my career around computers and I still have a "reputable dealer" build my VT systems.
I have no dealers in my area. The closest is a couple hundred miles away. It's not hard to have a great system built a thousand miles away. If you have a tool that can do so many things, the computer that it runs on should not be bought off the shelf or put together with unproven parts.

Any dealers out there that can help this guy? Or want to even want to deal with him?

Jockomo
11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Despite the guy's tone he has valid points that are hardly new.

My experience with "reputable dealers" has been that those guys don't make enough money off of your system build to be worth their time dealing with your problems unless they charge you a whole lot of money. Usually those guys find it impossible to compete with the likes of B&H and end up finding something better to do with their time, like competing with you.

Now I could be totally wrong, but I don't think that this business model works anymore. It is a hold over from the days whenanalog switchers cost $100k and that was the minimum required to get started. Dealers could hide their fees in those numbers.

Probably the best thing to do is to call Newtek, and keep calling them until all of your problems are fixed. They do offer free phone support so use it.

Khumii
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
it is Sunday...let's see what monday and a new week bring to the party.
did you post a Q on the VT forums btw?

Over the years, I have posted questions. Sometimes it's helpful

Khumii
11-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I would agree that MOST of the time it is user error. That doesn't negate the fact that the help just isn't there for what I need. This morning, I went to the NewTek website in good faith to get to the bottom of my problems only to be "re-frustrated" by what I found (or didn't find, as the case may be). Some on this thread are irrated by my "tone". Without much back ground on my specific situation, I understand that it appears that I am over the top. However, I have spent a lot of time and money on VT. I "hired" two local VT guys (apparently,they were resellers at one time), who came in and worked on my system, sold me more stuff, and walk away without a solution. More money flushed! Still, I stuck with VT. And thanks, Jackomo, for acknowledging that at least I bring up some very vaild issues. Doesn't it surprise some of you that NewTek has a reseller that doesn't sell NewTek??

DiscreetFX
11-08-2009, 02:24 PM
What problems are you having with your VT[5] and what are the specs of your PC? Some chipsets don't work well with VT. The first machine we setup for our VT[2] system in 2002 would not play back DVE's. That was kind of a problem sice we create DVE's and sell them. It was a cheap Compaq machine and had the wrong motherboard chipset. There are 1000's of different PC configurations and they come and go all the time. There is no way NewTek can support all of them. Maybe a high-end TriCaster would work better for you?

UnCommonGrafx
11-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Who are you?!
Most of the people replying here would have helped out over the past 5 years. So your hyperbolics as regards seeking help seems less than genuine.

Probably, all of your points are valid. Trying to work up the crowd into the frenzied froth you seem to be enjoying, though, isn't going to get you what you say you want. From my vantage point, you seem like someone out to do damage to NewTek. More power to you on that but I have to admit: bigger than you have attempted and not done so well.

Spell out your problems and let's see if NewTek's REAL support group, us here in the forums, can assist you. Otherwise, flush and fill: get rid of the thing that gripes you and spend more money trying to get what you say you want.

cresshead
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
...should have bought an iphone....
or should have used twitter...
should have said youtube...
should have googled it
gotta facebook it me old mate!

there ya go now were back up with 99% of the 'tech' subjects on the net, podcasts,tv....

ted
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I "hired" two local VT guys (apparently,they were resellers at one time), who came in and worked on my system, sold me more stuff, and walk away without a solution. More money flushed! Still, I stuck with VT.

Doesn't it surprise some of you that NewTek has a reseller that doesn't sell NewTek??

I hope you realize they were not resellers and more obviously, con artists?
Again, you need to learn that resellers or sales types are often sleezy. Rarely a reflection on the product they sell. There are some GREAT re-sellers out there. I know several.

Sorry if I sounded harsh on my first response, but I was reacting to your tone on what I saw as your first post. Along with others who have made similar complaints only for us to find they went cheap on the computer system, configuration or had not made serious attempts to solve their problem before saying VT/NewTek is XYZ.
Many of us here have had great success with NewTek and their tools or we wouldn't be here.

I really do wish you luck and hope you find the success we have had with our several systems and products.

Shnoze Shmon
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Just a little atmosphere for this thread.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Bjeasy3.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/IvyMikeC1024c10.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/IvyKingB1024c20.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/IvyMikeF1024c20.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Ukbadger1.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Ukgrable2.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Ukclimax1a.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/BravoC1024c10.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Cromeo2.jpg
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/TruckeeA882c20.jpg

There we go! Now everyone can have a chilled spine to go with their warm face.

radams
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi All,

Love the photos :)

Back a bit to the original rant and issues you brought up.

To be very honest...there are many of us here who have years and lots of knowledge to help you deal with most issues. I lost track along time ago of how may NT systems I created.

Plus there is Blain and Jef along with others here who are dealers that can make miracles happen if you give them the chance.

There is alot to be said about putting the right motherboard together with the proper components..and with the proper install.

Also don't use this system for your personal system...use it for Video production only!!!! So no games, no little plugins or desktop backgrounds etc....

One time I went to an international broadcaster...who couldn't get their VT system to boot with VT in it...nothing would work.

The Tech guy who put the system together had never put a VT system together before...he was used to linux systems...He had 4 gigs of memory in the system...I pulled two gigs...and everything worked perfectly.

Then there are systems you need to work with the bios and drivers to get things to work without issues...it just depends.

I don't know anything about the system you're having issues with...but may I suggest several things.

1) make a complete list of your system (including drivers etc...) and the issues you are having and contact NewTek.

2) Post this info onto this forum...but in the VT section.

3) I would also suggest contacting Blaine or Jef...for they may have some suggestions for you..or help build a system that would work.

4) Contact NT to see if you can switch from VT to a tricaster...and how much that would be....then you'll have a dedicated system.

5) I would like to know more of what you needing this for and how you wish to use this...VT may not be the right tool for you.

6) When dealing with video/production tools...go to someone who uses them and knows what that means...don't go to a computer shop. You are needing a production workstation...not an internet game machine.

There are so many options and toolsets out there...get the right ones for your needs and budget.

Cheers,

radams
11-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Just a suggestion to the NT moderators...

I think this needs to be moved to the VT forum..and the title should be modified...

Cheers,

Paul Lara
11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, this thread is being moved to VT-Troubleshooting, and the title is being changed to something a little less aggressive.

I am here to help you in any way possible, Ken

Paul Lara
NewTek Video Evangelist

SBowie
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
It's not all that hard to become a little overwrought when everything seems to go wrong.

It does appear that whoever recently did a copy and paste from last year's holiday hour announcement forgot to modify the dates, sorry (no eggnog for them). Thanks for pointing it out.

I don't think this notice is 'left over' from last year though - it was just reposted recently (as year-end is approaching). In any case, right below it on the same page you will find the following:

Hours: 7 days a week, 8:30am to 6:30pm CST
Telephone: (US) 210-341-8444
Fax: 210-370-8030 24-hrs day
Email: Click Here to Email

Hope this helps.

frantbk
11-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Seeing that the originator of the thread hasn't bothered to post what VT-5 has done what VT-5 is suppose to do (per VT-5's manual); what is the point of his rant?

There are X number of pages of people posting in response to this rant. Now I didn't read all of the post, but the first page and a half not one person asked what was wrong with VT-5?

Talk about knowing how to push the buttons of this community to create a thread about nothing.

Great pictures though. I think they tell the whole story of this thread.

SBowie
11-11-2009, 09:37 AM
what is the point of his rant?I think sometimes people just feel like blowing off steam ...

digitalpost
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
yes... I hate to add to this thread, but it certianly reminds me why I don't hit the forums very often!

frantbk
11-12-2009, 08:42 AM
I think sometimes people just feel like blowing off steam ...

I don't see anything wrong with blowing off steam. The rant about VT-5 not working, or it's not doing something it should could be operator error, or it could be machine related. While it is easy to dislike many of these software companies for their lack of updates, call backs and easily accessible information. I don't think the rant has much meat to it about the VT-5 problem. NewTek hasn't updated its Christmas office hours since 2008 on its web page. NewTek has never been web page centric with its business model. NewTek isn't a Internet driven company (like that of Luxology) so I'm not sure what the point about the web page not being updated is. NewTek's business uses the internet as an addition to its regular methods of sales to customers.

SBowie
11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
NewTek hasn't updated its Christmas office hours since 2008 on its web page. I actually don't think that's correct. I'm pretty sure that the page was updated post-Xmas 2008. I hit that page from time to time and am pretty sure I'd have noticed if it was like that all year. I think someone recently updated it for this year and simply forgot to change the dates.

Either way, it's not like the phone numbers don't work - so if someone had an issue, they were not being asked to build a time machine before dialling. :p

radams
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
yes... I hate to add to this thread, but it certianly reminds me why I don't hit the forums very often!

Hi Brian,

Long time no hear...hope you are doing okay.
I agree that both the rants...and some of the aggrevative responses don't help many to enjoy this forum...

Saw that you heard about Eugene, (gone too young)....You and I and a handful are all that is left from the original beta team.

Hopefully things will improve on these forums.

BTW, last time we meet was at the 06 Christmas party...my date, Charlotte, that night is now my wife ;)

Cheers,

jcupp
11-13-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm pretty sure http://www.awpdigital.com/ the other Elite Partner covering Washington State is very NewTek centric and could probably help.

Khumii
11-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Thank you, Paul. I do feel bad for my original post... at least the "tone", but that doesn't negate the fact that I am frustrated. I still WANT VT5 to be my system, but I don't have anyone local that can show me what the problems are. It is very tough to do this over email. Do you have a phone? BTW, I am NOT a tech guy. I was a producer, director - editor for 15 years, but always had a tech guy to work out the kinks.

Khumii
11-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Ray,
I have printed the post so I can go each iteam offline. I am just part time right now with our church, so I am not in the office enough to responsed frequently. Thank you for your help.

Stooch
11-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Hah, isnt it ironic that your forum participation is limited to threads like this? Stop lying, you love the drama.

bbeanan
11-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I always say try and build a system for 3 times the money you spent on yout VT-5 that does everything the VT-5 does and is more stable than the VT-5. once you have done that come back and complain...

I personally just had to do that and ended up with a system that crashed every 30 min. or so took 3 people to run and cost 4 times the price of a VT-5 set-up. Personally I will take my VT-5 that maybe crashes once every 8 -10 hours (if it crashes at all) and cost 25% of the price...

Mutley Eugenius
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Wanna learn to really love & appreciate VT?

Start using Avid.

You will have a whole new outlook on heaven & hell after using Avid for 500 hours. :newtek::thumbsup:

radams
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Wanna learn to really love & appreciate VT?

Start using Avid.

You will have a whole new outlook on heaven & hell after using Avid for 500 hours. :newtek::thumbsup:

Now that's funny :)

But you do need to give the A credit for their latest software...they did fix a bunch of stuff...and for long form and managing assests it still has its uses.

But for live broadcasting...well they can use some help with that part.
Though how many stations are using Deko, and their still/clip stores, etc...but nothing integrates with each other...and they have their own hiccups etc...

Though for CG effects etc...Deko does some nice things....

Cheers,

Brian Mirrlees
11-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Now that's funny :)

... But for live broadcasting...well they can use some help with that part.
Though how many stations are using Deko, and their still/clip stores, etc...but nothing integrates with each other...and they have their own hiccups etc...

Though for CG effects etc...Deko does some nice things....

Cheers,

Still/Clip stores/servers?... as in the THUNDER? or as it is "fondly" referred to as... "THUNDER... It ain't lightning"

(I can't take credit for that... it comes from a top TD in the San Fran area, Danny Skarka... but it always makes me laugh...)

edmellnik
12-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I was told by newtek that VT is dead. No new releases are expected. The board is SD so there is no real future in this system.
Granted many of us will use it for years to come but HD is taking off in a big way. Most are shooting in HD even if the project is getting edited is SD.

I am still waiting to hear if they fixed the proc amp in VT5.

Looks to me like all their resources are going into the Tricaster. WIth a measely three inputs on the new HD product.

SBowie
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
WIth a measely three inputs on the new HD product.VT started out with less than that, Ed.

Paul Lara
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I am still waiting to hear if they fixed the proc amp in VT5.

I believe that this bug has been squashed, Ed.
Get in touch with Tech support.

Looks to me like all their resources are going into the Tricaster. WIth a measely three inputs on the new HD product.

Actually they are three HUGE inputs. :D