PDA

View Full Version : Furry Ball GPU renderer beta out. For Maya peeps.

Intuition
11-07-2009, 05:52 PM
The Furry Ball renderer beta is out. Its a GPU renderer for Maya.

I downloaded it and tried to install on my xp64 setup but I think it needs direct x10 which is Vista OR windows 7 right? Guess I need to install Maya 2009 on my Windows 7 partition.

Anyways. Here is the links for those interested.

http://furryball.aaa-studio.cz/

I am betting GPU rendering will probably show up a lot more in all apps in the future, even Core maybe (I can dream can't I?) so its cool to see them as they come out.

Titus
11-07-2009, 06:22 PM
I have an eye on this:

http://www.studiogpu.com/

IMI
11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
The Furry Ball renderer beta is out. Its a GPU renderer for Maya.

I downloaded it and tried to install on my xp64 setup but I think it needs direct x10 which is Vista OR windows 7 right? Guess I need to install Maya 2009 on my Windows 7 partition.

Anyways. Here is the links for those interested.

I am betting GPU rendering will probably show up a lot more in all apps in the future, even Core maybe (I can dream can't I?) so its cool to see them as they come out.

Furry Ball, huh? For Maya, but not XSI? What's the matter with people these days? Got their priorities all screwed up. ;)
Looks pretty cool, nonetheless. I think I'll join their forum and spam them with requests for Furry Ball XSI. ;)

Yeah, DX 10 for Vista or Windows 7 only. Actually, Windows 7 uses DX 11, but of course can also use DX 10 and 9. I don't know of anything using DX 11 yet, but it's there.
I think you can get some sort of hacked DX 10 implementation for XP somewhere, but I don't know that I'd want to try it.

Intuition
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
.... I think I'll join their forum and spam them with requests for Furry Ball XSI. ;)

Yeah, its Maya only. I do miss using XSI. Its all Maya these days. I did use XSI in a project back in April/May this year but haven't been it it much since.

I do wish I had a few of the modeling tools in XSI in modo though. Some are really nice. Proportional modeling tool with falloff.... mmm nice. Quick loop slice by pressing ] and right clicking...mmm nice. Maya's loop slicer is fast too though.

Anyways, on topic. I do bet that iRay (mental ray real time) ends up available for XSI though. That will be cool. In the mean time IMI, sign up for the XSI Vray beta. ;D its [email protected]@$$.

edit----

So sad, I even have had my XSI 2010 sitting in my subscription account and I haven't downloaded it to try it out. :( .

Intuition
11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Ok , Just installed Maya 2010 on Windows7 and tried out Furry ball. Really quite amazing actually.

Furry ball still has some limitations like no area lights but its still in beta. Eventually will probably be on par with Mray / Vray and yet Vray and Mray are going the GPU renderer route. Learning CG shading/lighting will probably be fast with real time feed back like GPU renderers. Take time away from rendering development and add it to the front end of modeling/sculpting/texturing.

SplineGod
11-07-2009, 09:16 PM
well the good news is that saslite still works in LW 9.6 :)

doimus
11-08-2009, 02:33 AM
What's the deal with GPU rendering? Aren't we supposed to have all graphics processing back to CPU in few years time anyway?

IMI
11-08-2009, 04:37 AM
[quote]
edit----

So sad, I even have had my XSI 2010 sitting in my subscription account and I haven't downloaded it to try it out. :( .

Well I imagine you're a busy guy. I'm sure I don't have to tell you though that it's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Being that this is a LightWave forum though I have to try to restrain myself from extolling the virtues of XSI... although it's not easy. ;)

My only complaint about XSI and particularly Mray is that all the settings are spread out all over the place in several locations, in several Property Pages, but I've about gotten used to that. And coming from LW, the whole "clusters" thing seems a little strange too. I still prefer LW's way of assigning a material to a polygon selection and creating "parts" and selection sets, but probably just because that's what I'm used to. In the end though it's pretty much the same idea with a different terminology.
Also, I'm thinking about replacing "NoIcon_pic" with something a little less blindingly bright. :D

Oh well, not trying to hijack your Furry thread here. ;)

IMI
11-08-2009, 05:03 AM
well the good news is that saslite still works in LW 9.6 :)

Not if you're using 64 bit LW it doesn't. ;)

cresshead
11-08-2009, 06:53 AM
GPU or CPU realtime rendering is going to splash in 2010 as the new baseline for lighting/material editing and setting up of general 'stuff' in 3d apps...

there's a shed load of realtime previewers arriving for all sorts of 3d apps.

Intuition
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
My only complaint about XSI and particularly Mray is that all the settings are spread out all over the place in several locations, in several Property Pages, but I've about gotten used to that. And coming from LW, the whole "clusters" thing seems a little strange too. I still prefer LW's way of assigning a material to a polygon selection and creating "parts" and selection sets, but probably just because that's what I'm used to. In the end though it's pretty much the same idea with a different terminology.
Also, I'm thinking about replacing "NoIcon_pic" with something a little less blindingly bright. :D

Oh well, not trying to hijack your Furry thread here. ;)

Yeah, it took abit in 2006 to get used to XSi from my old LW habits.

Mray has a a few more PPG tabs then LW and at first it feels like you have 98 ways to make a render wrong and maybe 2 ways to do it right.

Thankfully, in my opinion, if you are learning Mray the fastest way to do it is inside XSI. I did a few things myself like modifying the original light spdl files so that they would default to umbra 0 as well as the default scene having ambient at 0 as well. I hated starting a new scene and having to go around deleting lights, unhiding things, ambience, shadows, mia_tonemap.. etc etc,

The noIcon image is a bit ugly for sure.

Speaking of Mray, since furry ball is kind of a preview for Mray, even though its a standalone, have you tried the Mray tuts for XSI at i3dtutorials.com ?

Sample here... http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/20_global-illumination-and-final-gathering-in-mental-ray

They are hilarious and really break Mray down to its core components so you aren't lost.

Anyways, I am going to post a video showing furryball in use later, maybe tonight even. Don't worry about hi jacking my post. I shamefully get lost on tangents. It will all relate back to GPU renderers and will even tie back into their possible place in Core's future. ;D

pixym
11-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Intuition,

Thanks for the head up. I do not use Maya but any news about a GPU renderer is very interesting for me. The Furry ball Manual (http://aaa-studio.cz/furryballhelp/) is rather well done…

IMI
11-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Speaking of Mray, since furry ball is kind of a preview for Mray, even though its a standalone, have you tried the Mray tuts for XSI at i3dtutorials.com ?

Sample here... http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/20_global-illumination-and-final-gathering-in-mental-ray

They are hilarious and really break Mray down to its core components so you aren't lost.

Yeah, you recommended the i3d stuff to me a few weeks ago, as I recall. I've watched that video before, too. My favorite line: "combining GI and final gather ...a nuclear explosion of rendering goodness" :D
That guy has a real cool teaching style. I'd love to get his videos, but between XSI and some new computer hardware, I've overshot my Geek Budget by several degrees of magnatude. Actually, I've devastated it. ;)
That dude has several free XSI tutorials there too, and I think I've seen them all. I've learned quite a bit just from his freebies, and there were a few times I've literally LOL'd, which is a rare and cool treat in a software video. That sort of thing really helps to break the tension. :)
Yeah, that guy is great but for now I'm learning rigging and hair and dynamics through my Digital Tutors account, which I need to learn for my demo reel I've been working on all this year. But when it comes to start rendering stuff I'm probably going to be buying his entire collection.

Anyways, I am going to post a video showing furryball in use later, maybe tonight even. Don't worry about hi jacking my post. I shamefully get lost on tangents. It will all relate back to GPU renderers and will even tie back into their possible place in Core's future. ;D

That's cool, looking forward to seeing that!

But back to LW - (as you predicted. ;))

I could be wrong about this, but isn't CORE supposed to have GPU rendering? Or was that better GPU calculation of OpenGL? I kinda got lost following that one. I just hope whatever it is they do in CORE isn't some Quadro-specific thing because I'm really not into the idea of spending a couple thousand for a video card.

Speaking of OpenGL, the performance in Softimage 2010 just absolutely screams. I can't seem to throw enough at it to bog it down. :)

Intuition
11-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Ah Digital Tutors, yes, actually I would recommend staying with the rigging tuts then. Its the central reason to use XSI or Maya. Rigging and animation of characters in either one is pure fun.

I did finish the camstudio recording of using Furry Ball. I did like 6 versions. Each one shorter then the last and I am down to 1.5 GB file size. I am trying to convert the last one down but am having trouble. Camstudio makes the files at 99 FPS and I try to tell AE to render out to 24FPS sorensen3 quicktimes but the file ends up even bigger. I know its the FPS conversion in AE I am getting wrong but its late and I'll try again tomorrow.

I will say I am really impressed with Furry ball. Its like F-Prime on steroids. Being able to pan around in a final quality render, change lights, spotlight cone angles, model in the rendered window, change shaders, bump amount, reflection, color, etc all instantly is really amazing. Think F-Prime without the low quality refresh. Its just instantly there.

Matches Mental Ray perfectly until you start using LWF. Which is not implemented in Furry ball yet.... Stress yet.

Will post video tomorrow. I just need to find a good compression.

As far as Core having GPU rendering I am not sure. I think Jay or maybe Chuck mentioned it as a possibility but nothing is set in stone yet as far as they have announced.

Still, Core seems versatile enough to have plenty of room for a GPU render solution which is why I am looking at all the renderers as they come out so I can give feed back on the pros and cons of each one in case the subject comes up for consideration in Core future.

pixym
11-09-2009, 04:34 AM

Still, Core seems versatile enough to have plenty of room for a GPU render solution…
This is what I think as well, and I really hope NT and third parties will not miss that train.

IMI
11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I did finish the camstudio recording of using Furry Ball. I did like 6 versions. Each one shorter then the last and I am down to 1.5 GB file size. I am trying to convert the last one down but am having trouble. Camstudio makes the files at 99 FPS and I try to tell AE to render out to 24FPS sorensen3 quicktimes but the file ends up even bigger. I know its the FPS conversion in AE I am getting wrong but its late and I'll try again tomorrow.

I've made many Camtasia Studio recordings and I always use H.264 .mov at 15 FPS and High quality, and my file sizes have always been pretty nice that way, with really good quality.
But of course, Camtasia Studio offers virtually nothing along the lines of any kind of real editing, color correction, certainly nowhere near as powerful as AE.

And yes, rigging in XSI *is* alot of fun. I've tried their biped rig, but that seems almost as much work as starting from scratch. I suppose though that once one builds up a library of similarly modeled figures that becomes more useful.

Intuition
11-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I probably should get Camtasia. Camstudio is just a free version. Camtasia would probably solve my problems.

Actually the XSI biped rig is pretty nice but, getting a rig to that state from scratch isn't that hard either once you go through the routine a couple of times. In XSI its an "Up vector" in maya its a "pole vector". Same same.

IMI
11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I probably should get Camtasia. Camstudio is just a free version. Camtasia would probably solve my problems.

Actually the XSI biped rig is pretty nice but, getting a rig to that state from scratch isn't that hard either once you go through the routine a couple of times. In XSI its an "Up vector" in maya its a "pole vector". Same same.

Oh, Camstudio - I didn't notice that and just read it as Camtasia Studio. Sorry about that. ;)
I've been using Camtasia Studio for several years now. I bought it originally to make video "notes" for myself as opposed to writing things down or referring back to docs. Helps me remember better too that way. Like for example, if I learn a new technique, I'll often make a brief video of myself doing it and save it out for future reference. But it also has other cool uses like quickly piecing together several short Fraps videos of game moments and encoding them for You Tube. ;)
Highly worth it for how relatively cheap it is.

Intuition
11-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Wow, Camtasia was the answer. 37MB for the same file that was 1.5 GB in cam studio and it was about 4 minutes longer and smaller res.

Anyways, here is the Maya Furry ball video I made from camtasia this time.

In Furry Ball the demo makes water marks on the render. Also, FurryBall uses shadow maps and reflection/Refraction maps to do the GPU rendering which is why you see me fiddle with them. I always ray trace in Mray but for FurryBall I used maps like it requires. Couldn't use Area lights yet so I am limited to directional and spot for now. Also I usually only use mia_archviz materials in Mray but they are not compatible yet so I am using the old Blinn/Lambert setups.

Furry ball keeps up with me though and totally changes my workflow from the old test render, change, test render, change in either Vray or Mental Ray while working in maya. Chaosgroup is making a GPU renderer for Vray as we speak. I can immediately tell I will buy it if it runs anything like Furry Ball. Its like having F-Prime but better.

The video is 10 minutes at 37MB with screen res of 1600x1050 I think.

Link to VID

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2muezjmhm2z/Furry Ball for Maya 2010 Demo.mp4

pixym
11-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Intuition, thank you very much for this video ;)

Intuition
11-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Intuition, thank you very much for this video ;)

You're welcome. Did it play smoothly? On the Windows 7 boot it plays realtime. On xp64 it was dropping frames and was really choppy. I wonder if I need to update my quicktime on xp64?

Core with GPU rendering like this would be fantastic. :D

pixym
11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes, it plays smoothly (Both on mac OX 10.5 and win XP64)

Titus
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
That was great!

IMI
11-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Very cool, man, thanks for that!
And yeah, plays fine on Win 7.

Cageman
11-14-2009, 07:32 PM
The video is 10 minutes at 37MB with screen res of 1600x1050 I think.

Link to VID

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2muezjmhm2z/Furry Ball for Maya 2010 Demo.mp4

I registered on the Furry Ball forum a couple of days ago. I have the beta so I will try it at work on Monday. I'll enjoy your video in the meantime! :)

Thanks for sharing!

furryball
12-22-2009, 02:23 AM
FurryBall GPU renderer for Maya is finally out.
Go ahead and download the 30-days trial here:

http://aaa-studio.cz/furryballforum/
(you have to be registered)

Features, renders and videos:

We would like to know your opinion, so please give us a feedback.

3DGFXStudios
12-22-2009, 03:14 AM
I hope the Furry ball guys will make it's renderer also for CORE. I really like the realtime hair. :thumbsup:

So are you gonna?

Intuition
12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
The only bit I haven't tested in Furryball 3d is its LWF capabilities. Currently you are locked to 1.0 gamma. Though I didn't try to output to exr and see if can be gamma corrected without artifacting in the shadows , etc. Currently there is no way to get the render to display in 2.2 gamma. Still as a single computer render solution it gives you much faster output than you can get with any cpu renderer included or 3rd party. If you are a one man character studio this will give you rendering capabilites that you could get work finished with.

jasonwestmas
12-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Lol Furry ball. Kills me.

jasonwestmas
12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Kick butt! Thanks for the link.

jasonwestmas
12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I registered on the Furry Ball forum a couple of days ago. I have the beta so I will try it at work on Monday. I'll enjoy your video in the meantime! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Yay!