PDA

View Full Version : Edge Transparency Tribulations!

B_Free
11-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm working on a scene of the Solar System, but I'm having problems with Transparent Edges. The Sun has a Transparency gradient to make its edges transparent (kind of like the Edge_Transparency shader, but done with Nodes)

If I apply this surface to a new, very simple scene the Transparency works exactly like it's supposed to. (Please see first image below)

However, in my main scene it appears that this same surface stopped working right. (Please see second image below) If you look carefully, the planet Venus is getting cut off by the edge of the Sun, rather than gradually fading behind it like it should. The surface of the Sun in this scene is the exact same surface as in my test render (the first attached image)

I also saved the Alpha image of my scene, (third attachment) hoping it would shed some light on the problem. As you can see, the edge of the Sun does fade to black like I would expect, but it doesn't allow anything behind it to show through either. :confused:

Does anybody have any ideas on why this isn't working right? Or better yet, how to fix it??? :)

Addendum: Something else I noticed is that none of the Transparency in the scene seems to be working right. Saturn's rings aren't Node based at all, they're just a transparency image map, and yet you can't see the planet through them at all! If you look at the alpha map, you should be able to see the planet through the rings at least a little bit, but in the RGB image it's all black behind the rings.

(Btw: I'm using a Perspective Camera, running LW 9.6 UB for Mac.)

Tobian
11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Have you checked in your render globals and activated 'raytrace transparency'? Could be the cause if it's working in one scene, but not another?

B_Free
11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
:jam: Rock on! That totally worked!

Thank You!!! :)

Tobian
11-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Ahh goodo, glad it worked! :D

Andrew March
11-14-2009, 06:47 AM
D'oh!