PDA

View Full Version : Don't you guys think there should be a top row for NT forums?

Intuition
11-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Lightwavers.

Even though I haven't used LW alot lately, though we did have an old Subaru project come back to DD and it is currently being done in LW by a fellow artist, still I do often visit the NT forums.

I visit a lot of forums weekly so I can keep up with industry developments, software advances, great CG art posts, and chat with like minded CG people.

When I visit the other forums I notice most of the high traffic ones have a thing called "Top Row" where the best of the 3D artwork posted there gets a highlight spot in a picture row at the top of the forums. This serves as a testimonial bed for the site/software and it also provides incentive for the artists to post great work since it may be "showcased" as getting a slot in the top row is considered as an award of recognition.

Top row can also be used to point users to big announcements or plug-in and software releases and updates. As is common on Zbrush central, where GoZ or Zapplink is advertised in the same top row in a slot next to great pictures where the top row itself links to the thread about said announcement, picture, or plug-in thread.

Having recently browsed the gallery, which I do once in a blue moon, and saw some great work there I felt that NT needs a top row.

Here are sites I visit often.

http://www.evermotion.org/

http://forums.cgsociety.org/

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/

http://www.creativecrash.com/

The area actually has like 3 rows. One for announcements, one for tutorials, free textures, and customer stories, and finally a gallery row.

http://area.autodesk.com/

XSI base has like columns instead of rows which include articles, interviews and best of pics that show up in the forums as well as plug-in releases.

http://www.xsibase.com/

Also, each of these sites keep an archive of the rows so you can check older top row posts (that get bumped off weekly by new posts) in case you need to go find that great pic , announcement, or plug in at a later time.

I think it makes a site feel alive with activity.

What do you guys think? Should NT do a top row or similar?

I have seen the Lightwave product page but I don't visit that daily. Forums are visited daily. I mean top row posts could link to the Lightwave 3d product page but the forum, since its visited regularly, should have the links to such content.

Opinions?

Titus
11-07-2009, 11:14 AM
My vote is for this proposal.

CGI Addict
11-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Yea, that would be great and well justified as there is so much cool work in the galleries.

JeffrySG
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm all for a 'top row' I just wouldn't want it to be too large in pixel height. But I agree that it's a great visual way to get attention to nice artwork, tutorials or announcements.

Cageman
11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah... SpinQuad also have this top row which is great. I happen to have been on that top row both at SpinQuad and at Foundation 3D, which is a great feeling, I might add.

So yes, NT, please... make it happen!!!!

:)

Dexter2999
11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
If the Newtek board were solely about 3D then I'd be on board. But as they are about editing and hardware as well LW then I don't know how hot I am on the idea. I'd certainly like to see something like that on the product page.

OnlineRender
11-08-2009, 05:13 AM
I like the way ZB forum constatly updates image threads , its a nice feeling seeing your work on the top row ! but I don't know if NT will be able to do that , It may involve enablin certain aspects of html code . "which is probably another reason why there's no Youtube or Viemo " it can cause vunerabilites .
# you would need to ask Paul Lara I know the Vbulletin team would help in anyway possible ! .

Iain
11-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I agree-this would really benefit these forums. At the moment it looks more like a tech discussion site than anything to do with art or cgi.

The galleries are sometimes dormant for days and I think this would motivate people to post their work.

IMI
11-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I've always thought the top row idea is pretty cool too. It's not the same thing, but they have the monthly newsletter, although it's kind of buried and easy to miss unless I'm thinking about it and seeking it out.
Then again, it took six months to get rid of the Ajax picture viewer. ;)

Phil
11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Yup. This would, sadly, require MIS to do something useful, so it's not going to happen before the end of 2011.

geothefaust
11-08-2009, 04:24 PM
+1...

Would love to see something like this on these forums. It is rather drab at the moment.

archijam
11-08-2009, 04:56 PM
+1

lwaddict
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Ditto.

biliousfrog
11-10-2009, 03:50 AM
Yes it should have it but I get the impression that this is more of a drop-in centre than a maintained forum so I don't know whether anyone would actually be in charge of creating/updating stuff like that....Would this be another volunteer job for Mr Vost?...Are there actually any moderators or forum leaders on here?

OnlineRender
11-10-2009, 04:09 AM
theres 95,000 registered memeber so far . in my opp

30% are dormant or not used "you know the people that come on for 1 question get the answer then move on "

10 % is made up of bugs spam and so on .

2% will be made up of NT staff including ( Hidden Ones )

8% will be people like AD staff & 3DC "hello Andrew" and so on

7.5% will be made up of duplicate accounts "people who forget there passwords or like to act as a double identity .

40% is probably a legit user estimate .

2.5% people who watch but never post "we call them level 5 "

the last 10% is unknown LOL "too early to think about this shinnzle "

keeping a forum running can be a heavy workload , its not that easy just to edit a page so you can see some nice graphics ontop ,there can be alot of down time .

Thank your lucky stars they haven't enabled post authoring .
"bagzie being the first person for that job " :D

the forum functions fully "if it's not broke ,don't fix it "
granted i would love to see an UBER spanked up forum similar to others but hey what can we do ,again I'm positive the VB TEAM :D would help in anyway possible to make easier but its still alot of work .

PEACE

probiner
11-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Yes it should have it but I get the impression that this is more of a drop-in centre than a maintained forum so I don't know whether anyone would actually be in charge of creating/updating stuff like that

And still we come back for the coffee =)
But i get your point.
Though a top row is one face of a forum concept, so if Newtek doesn't have much focus in showing CGI done with their products behond the newsletter i don't see a point in doing it.

The Lightwave9.6 gallery is full of good stuff. Does it need a top row, a simple banner? hmm ask someone that doesn't come to the foruns :P

But there's probably more of Newtek than what it shows up.

Iain
11-10-2009, 04:48 AM
The Lightwave9.6 gallery is full of good stuff.

I don't actually think that's true. Some of it is great but hardly anything gets posted.
There's probably more decent stuff in the speed modelling threads and I think the reason for that is that people here just don't place much importance on posting in the galleries.

It's secondary to discussion here which is weird, really.

OnlineRender
11-10-2009, 05:37 AM
I don't actually think that's true. Some of it is great but hardly anything gets posted.
There's probably more decent stuff in the speed modelling threads and I think the reason for that is that people here just don't place much importance on posting in the galleries.

got to admit some of the speed models are top drawer .

archijam
11-10-2009, 06:23 AM

I agree, but a top row would add an incentive which has never existed, either at the LW site or on the forums.

Most post at SQ first (or solely).