PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech to build G5 Super Computer Cluster?

Ed M.
08-31-2003, 02:30 PM
Virginia Tech to build G5 Super Computer Cluster? Sure sounds like it and what's more, it will be in the top 5 fastest in the world.

I kicked off a discussion here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29850

If you want, we can also discuss the news here on the NewTek Mac-forum too if you'd like. Sounds like some really good stuff.

--
Ed

Beamtracer
08-31-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi Ed. The ThinkSecret website broke that story yesterday.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/virginiatech.html

It's very interesting. It seems that instead of sending the first G5s out to the customers who first put their orders in, Apple has instead routed them to this University to build the supercomputer.

I guess 1100 units is a big order.

At least anyone who's G5 order has been delayed now knows where their machine is!!!

Ed M.
08-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Yeah, beam, I caught that. I linked to the original article in the thread that I posted on AppleInsider.

I got a feeling that Apple will be taking on clustering in a very big way. I have some ideas. Let's wait to see how it pans out.

--
Ed

Beamtracer
08-31-2003, 07:26 PM
What? Ed? You mean there's more to this than meets the eye?

For the last couple of years I thought that Apple was working on clustering as an OS feature. I was surprised when Panther was previewed there was no mention of clustering. Maybe a future OS?

Ed M.
08-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Beam, You have ALWAYS been able to cluster Macs -- dean and Project: AppleSeed are evidence of that. As I've mentioned some time ago, I've always suspected that Apple had plans to get into clustering in a really big way. Do you remember any of the discussion that took place here involving clustered computing? Some tidbits can be found in what Dean was saying. Use your imagination. ;)

--
Ed

Beamtracer
08-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Also, a couple of years ago an Apple speaker at the Paris Mac Expo let slip that Apple was working on clustering at an OS level. He later said that he shouldn't have released that information.

Ade
09-01-2003, 01:53 AM
Lets all wait for the doubting pc lovers comments we have come to enjoy...

Lightwolf
09-01-2003, 03:29 AM
N.C.
Cheers,
Mike - fan of paradoxes ;)

munky
09-01-2003, 04:36 AM
Clustering?

mmm....

isn't that something they do to get the nutty bits to stick together in choccy bars?

paul

Beamtracer
09-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Michael Linde made a valid point in a different clustering thread that there is a bit of overhead when using clustering. That is, a bit of CPU power is used to achieve the clustering itself.

For an application like Lightwave, clustering (in theory) may not be as efficient as allocating each CPU a different complete frame to render (that is, if you're rendering an animation with many frames).

If you're only rendering one frame, then it's hard to split that frame among many CPUs unless you're clustering. In this case clustering is the most efficient way to go.

prospector
09-01-2003, 10:24 PM
clustering is not what you guys are thinking.

panini
09-02-2003, 02:50 AM
And Opterons are already #2 or 3.

What does this prove anyway. You can get to #1 by using slow chips too, just use a few thousand more.

edited by moderator

Panini, reserve the platform flame bait for some other forum, please

Ed M.
09-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Hey, someone hear something? Nah, it must have been my imagination.

--
Ed