PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave9.6 to zBrush

ebouchoc
11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I need some help with getting geometry into zBrush from Lightwave 9.6. I don't use zBrush, but is there anything that I need to know about zBrush to get the mesh in clean. What is happening is the mesh, in certain places flips the polys backwards.

Does it handle tripled polys?
Does it handle non-planar polys?

Help!

IMI
11-05-2009, 05:16 PM
You'll get that poly flipping thing if you're modeling in SubD in LW and not occasionally going out of SubD to see if everything is going neatly. Modeling only in SubD can create quite a mess, actually.

If that happens you can try the Unify Normals tool, but it might not catch them all and you might have to flip some manually.

ZB will handle tris as well as quads, and combinations of both. Personally I (and many others) prefer all quads, or as many quads as possible.

Non planar polys are really very common, especially in organic meshes. The only way to avoid them is to use all triangles, but it doesn't take much to make a quad non-planar. You should *always* avoid n-gons when using Zbrush, but non-planar polys are just par for the course when using quads, and are fine in ZBrush. Although I would fix any in Modeler that are showing up black, before sending the object to ZBrush.

Note though that in LW, in SubD mode, there's no such thing as a non-planar polygon, so you have to go into regular polygon mode to see them or have them listed in the statistics panel. But severely non-planar polys will be black in Shaded mode in Modeler. And chances are if not fixed, they will render badly.

ebouchoc
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
That did it...thanks for the help!