PDA

View Full Version : insert keyframe into color channel without moving others??

Johnny
11-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I need an object to be black until a certain frame in the time line.

then I need it to go to another color instantly (next frame).

when I try to click on the Red, the Green and Blue curves to insert a keyframe, the curves change!

I dont' want them to change, just sit still and stay put while I do my surgery.

Can anyone think of a way I can do this? Locking the existing keys doesn't help.

thank you very much for any help.

J

toby
11-04-2009, 04:57 PM
How do they change? Could it just be the autofit thing is on? (GE options, 'fit values when selected')

Johnny
11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
How do they change? Could it just be the autofit thing is on? (GE options, 'fit values when selected')

I don't think it's autofit...I could be wrong. nothing else moves or changes, but the instant I click the mouse or stylus to insert a key, I can see the curve change it's shape or slope, or curviness..however you want to phrase it.

r

SplineGod
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Why not just use the value procedural in 2 layers.
Use the opacity envelope to suddenly change from one layer to the next.

Johnny
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Why not just use the value procedural in 2 layers.
Use the opacity envelope to suddenly change from one layer to the next.

I tried altering the opacity and it made no difference upon F9...

I have 8.5d; does it have the tools your referring to?

J

SplineGod
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Those tools have been in LW for years.
You create a texture layer using the value procedural of one color.
Add another layer using the value procedural of another color.
If you make the opacity of the top layer 0 then the 2nd layer only will be visible.
You can even do this with Viper active.
Make sure you are changing the texture LAYER opacity and not the object opacity.

Johnny
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Those tools have been in LW for years.
You create a texture layer using the value procedural of one color.
Add another layer using the value procedural of another color.
If you make the opacity of the top layer 0 then the 2nd layer only will be visible.
You can even do this with Viper active.
Make sure you are changing the LAYER opacity and not the object opacity.

ah..ok..my bad. in my harried state I didn't recognize what you referring to.

the kink in this sitch is that the color changes with time...hence the curve in the color envelope.

up to frame 69 the object I need changed is black. frame 69 and beyond, it must have the same color, (which changes) as the other object.

when I click to insert that keyframe, the curve of the changing color changes FROM what it had been, so I can't be sure that after frame 69, the two objects colors will be the same.

close, perhaps, but not the same.

J

SplineGod
11-04-2009, 05:39 PM
You stated:
"need an object to be black until a certain frame in the time line.
then I need it to go to another color instantly (next frame)".

What I proposed was to place the Value procedural on your surface and make it Black. The create another texture layer under the black layer.
In the opacity envelope on your black layer place a keyframe at 0 frame at 100% opacity. Then another key at frame 68 at 100% opacity. Then a key at frame 69 at 0% opacity.
This will make the object stay black and change instantly to the color in layer 2.

Johnny
11-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I apologize...I am not seeing it.

I think i get the idea but I don't see where to put in this value layer.

is it the T button?

that only gives procedural, gradient and image map.

J

toby
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Value is one of the procedurals, you'll find it in the same list as fractal, turbulence, etc.

toby
11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think it's autofit...I could be wrong. nothing else moves or changes, but the instant I click the mouse or stylus to insert a key, I can see the curve change it's shape or slope, or curviness..however you want to phrase it.

r
So autofit is off? Generally, as long as the key values (including tcb, etc.) don't change, it doesn't matter how the curves look anyway.

SplineGod
11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Its the T button right next to the E button.
E = envelope
T = Texture

In the texture editor you can add image maps, procedral textures and gradients.
You can add more layers just like in Photoshop.
Change the first layer to procedrual and select the value procedural out of the list of procedural textures. Change the color to the color you want to change TO. Add another layer. Make it a procedural and select value procedrual again. Change it to black. At the top of the texture editor is the layer opacity control which will control the opacity of each layer using an envelope.
BTW this is all very basic LW stuff covered in the manual. :)

Johnny
11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you to both you, SG and to Toby...

yesterday, I was way into tweezing the minutiae and I just wasn't connecting with what you were trying to tell me...but I have found it, set it up, and about to do a test render.

thanks for hanging in there with me and making it clear!

J

Johnny
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
So autofit is off? Generally, as long as the key values (including tcb, etc.) don't change, it doesn't matter how the curves look anyway.

I honestly can't tell..when I pull down the menu, it isn't checked. and if I select it, it doesn't BECOME checked...I don't see what the indicator is for its on or off states.

if it is off by default, then it was and is off, bcs I've never messed with it.

thank you!

J

SplineGod
11-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Cool, it should be easier at this point :)