PDA

View Full Version : Help Growing Object into surface skin texture

jp206
11-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a bone I modeled and skinned that I need to show growing from small to big. The problem is when I use Motion Mixer to shrink the object down it also shrinks the skin texture. I need the surface skin to stay at its original scale to keep the texture correct. If I edit the models size in Modeler the surface is projected at the right scale but, when I use Motion Mixer it scales the skin along with the object and then the skin is out of scale.
Thanks for any ideas on solving this!

jp206
11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Also any tips on loading a .mov to this thread?

toby
11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a bone I modeled and skinned that I need to show growing from small to big. The problem is when I use Motion Mixer to shrink the object down it also shrinks the skin texture. I need the surface skin to stay at its original scale to keep the texture correct. If I edit the models size in Modeler the surface is projected at the right scale but, when I use Motion Mixer it scales the skin along with the object and then the skin is out of scale.
Thanks for any ideas on solving this!
So you need the texture to stay the same size while the object grows? Try adding a null and setting it in the Reference Object drop-down list in the texture layer. It gets tricky if the textured object has to move though, since the texture will follow the null. It might be easiest to keyframe the texture's scale manually.

jp206
11-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks,
I'll try the null thing then the resizing of the texture if that(null) doesn't work for me.

SplineGod
11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
If you use world coords then the object will move thru the texture otherwise the texture is stuck to the object and will resize with it.

jp206
11-04-2009, 05:54 PM
That's what I was looking for, World Coordinates-
Thanks it's working perfectly now!

jp206
11-05-2009, 04:37 PM
OK, now I have a new problem- when I rotate the object in the Layout scene the global coordinates skin texture doesn't rotate along with the model as it grows and rotates. Here's a small .mov to view.

SplineGod
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Thats because when using World Coords t he texture "fills space" and the object moves thru the texture.

jp206
11-05-2009, 05:00 PM
OK, that makes sense. Then how do I get the texture to stay the same size/in the same place on the object while I use the Motion Morph to re-shape/grow the object larger?

jp206
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm gonna try to animate the texture scale to make it seem like it is staying at a stationary size while the object grows. And take it out of Global coordinates. We'll see what that does.

SplineGod
11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
What does your animation look like?

jp206
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I read you can attach a texture to a null object but, I've never done that before. It sounds a little easier than the scale thing. Gonna give that a shot and I'll post some results.

Thanks again everybody!

toby
11-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Well like I was saying it gets tricky if your object moves, which it apparently does, because the texture won't move with the object, same problem as with World coordinates. You'd have to use Channel Follower in the null's translation and rotation channels, to have it follow the textured object.

SplineGod
11-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Its possible to use a morph to grow the object in a way
that would work with a texture. This would all depend on
how you need the object to be animated.