PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter...

virtualcomposer
11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I was wondering if it mattered about having a 8Mb cache Harddrive vs a 16Mb cache Harddrive as the main drive if I'm streaming from another Harddrive that is faster. Basically I want to go with Snow Leapard bit I have other program that I can't afford to upgrade yet that may not work with snow leapard yet. I have a hard drive that is 8Mb cache And 160GB I was thinking of using as my Snow Leapard main drive with all my applications on it. On a second drive that is 16MB cache & 500GB I was going to use that to store and stream all my audio and virtual instruments from and the 3rd Harddrive is also 16MB cache at 500Mb as well that I was going to keep with all the program and Leapard just in case. So will the 8Mb cache matter if it's my main drive and I'm streaming all the heavy lifting so to speak from a 16Mb Harddrive? I always heard to store everything onanother Harddrive and just keep applications on the main drive. Can anyone "enlighten" me?

virtualcomposer
11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Anybody know???

calilifestyle
11-04-2009, 07:11 PM
well i would get a harddrive with 32mb cache

virtualcomposer
11-05-2009, 02:56 AM
But I cannot afford it right now so I am working with what I got. What do you recommend as far as what I have? Does the cache mean a whole lot if I'm not streming from it and I'm streaming from a different drive? I always heard to load only the applications on the main drive and load all the extras on another drive.

IMI
11-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Not an easy question to answer. ;)
But you should be fine doing it the way you are proposing, i.e., all applications on the 8 MB and streaming from the 16's.
Have a look at this for more information than you ever wanted to know about hard drives, and there's a section on cache as well:
LINKY (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/understanding-hard-drive-performance,1557.html).

It's not Mac OS-specific, but I don't think that would matter much.

virtualcomposer
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Not an easy question to answer. ;)
But you should be fine doing it the way you are proposing, i.e., all applications on the 8 MB and streaming from the 16's.
Have a look at this for more information than you ever wanted to know about hard drives, and there's a section on cache as well:
LINKY (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/understanding-hard-drive-performance,1557.html).

It's not Mac OS-specific, but I don't think that would matter much.

Hey thanks. That's encouraging to know I can work with what I got. Eventually I will get 4 32 cache harddrives at 2TB a piece and a 4 TB external back up drive. But that's when the economy gets better. ( :