PDA

View Full Version : V

danielkaiser
11-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Network Television rarely fails to disappoint.

RudySchneider
11-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Tonight's episode seemed to me to be pretty much an updated verson of the original 1983 series (dating myself?). I guess I shouldn't have expected anything more, but it was still a fair hour of mindless entertainment.

Dexter2999
11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Interesting that they update the story line with a subtext of terrorism.

Didn't care for the "universal health care" line tied to what will be exposed as evil aliens. Having a tough time passing health care reform as it is. Don't need to sublimate a negative connotation into the general public.

Nice seeing two FIREFLY alum on the show though. Always like seeing them work.

Soth
11-04-2009, 04:54 AM
Network Television rarely fails to disappoint.

We all living in America!

Sorry, just had to do it. :)

Still not sure what Network Television is, does not google very well.

cresshead
11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
i'll wait for the dvd set...as longas it doesn't get cencalled in mid production that is!

love the origional..have all of the dvd's on that inc the tv show

Chris S. (Fez)
11-04-2009, 05:49 AM
I don't remember what life was like before DVR. Gonna take a "long lunch" today and watch it without commercials.

Two sick but entertaining shows: True Blood and Dexter.

danielkaiser
11-04-2009, 08:43 AM

In America we have three maybe four major broadcast networks NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox. ( google, the big three
) In general most shows are produced for the lowest common denominator i.e. inbred Ned and his Wife/Sister/Daughter/Cousin from Mississippi, in other words, content created for people with a maximum of a 6th grade education that drive a pickup truck with a gun rack and that think a family reunion is a great place to meet girls. This is Television produced by committee, then passed through the marketing department and finally squashed by general management because, and "I don't know what it is, but there's something in there, that makes me have to think" and we can't have that now,,,, can we...

BigHache
11-04-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't want to ruin my memory of the original "V", but if this has some decent FX shots I'll be down.

I caught an episode of "Dexter" last night, the VOs are pretty great on the main character.

warmiak
11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
In America we have three maybe four major broadcast networks NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox. ( google, the big three
) In general most shows are produced for the lowest common denominator i.e. inbred Ned and his Wife/Sister/Daughter/Cousin from Mississippi, in other words, content created for people with a maximum of a 6th grade education that drive a pickup truck with a gun rack and that think a family reunion is a great place to meet girls. This is Television produced by committee, then passed through the marketing department and finally squashed by general management because, and "I don't know what it is, but there's something in there, that makes me have to think" and we can't have that now,,,, can we...

Inbreds , driving a pickup truck with a gun rack ?

Man you really are full of yourself, aren't you ?

shrox
11-04-2009, 08:54 AM

Network television in America is basically a few companies (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and a few others) that produce shows, then they send the shows to local broadcasters that service areas a few dozen to a few hundred miles across. The local stations are affiliates of the network run by one of those companies.

biliousfrog
11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
haha...someone hit a nerve!

I had high hopes until I saw FlashForward then I remembered how a good show can be made so bland with the wrong team behind it...I only watch the last 5 minutes now as nothing happens in the rest of the show and it all wraps up neatly at the end of each episode so that simpletons can talk about it at work. They marketed it as, 'From the channel that brought you Lost!'...in the same way that Ferrari's are from the company that brought you Fiat.:rolleyes:

I don't know what the deal is with 'V' in the UK, it will probably be bought by Sky and shown a year behind the rest of the world so I'll download the torrents like I have with Lost for the past few years. I hope it's as good as the original before it turned into a soap.

Intuition
11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I liked the original V. My dad and I watched it when he got home from work.

The cool gag back then was that you didn't know what the aliens were really.

So when its revealed what they really are it had this creepy effect.

Since I already know how this new V is going to play out, more or less, it didn't grab me last night.

I understand that writers in Hollywood try to immerse people in a show by using material from current cultural events, like the health care issue and global warming, but in V's case it felt very tacked on. It was like watching some distilled version of Independence day, D-9, and War of the worlds.

We all gather out to look at the visitors with a curious and hopeful eye and then they kill, eat, enslave, and/or annoy us.

I did like the "eye" reveal in the fight scene near the end but it didn't have the impact that the original V had when they did the reveal. I realize the effects will be much better but after watching the preview of the next episode I felt like I was watching BSG season 4. Lots of Desperate Housewife style mellow drama with a possible chance of sci-fi showing up.

JohnMarchant
11-04-2009, 09:26 AM

So similar to the UK then. We have all the same crap here, mostly made for fat couch potatoes who leave their brains on the pillow to sleep longer whilst they get on with their day. No wonder i spend so little time watching tv now. Only catch the occasional documentary and the news and thats it. Got rid of sky some time ago.

The up side is it gives me more time for LW knowing that im not really missing anything on tv. Im afraid the day that good cgi could attract me to watch something i wouldnt normally watch are long gone.

JohnMarchant
11-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Ouch !! :):):)

danielkaiser
11-04-2009, 09:33 AM

Yup!!. And besides, who better than me to be full of?

There was more in that list but I didn't want to insult everyone in the south. I have to live here you know.

warmiak
11-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Yup!!. And besides, who better than me to be full of?

There was more in that list but I didn't want to insult everyone in the south. I have to live here you know.

Talk about being insecure ... you should embrace your heritage instead of denying it.

aurora
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Honestly I thought it sucked. Just another batch of trash proving that people grown up on IM and text messaging have no clue how to write complete sentences or paragraphs let alone complete, decent scripts.

Seriously lets take 4 hours of material and condense it down to 40 minutes. Lets make the entire world stupid morons. Lets assume all viewers know everything. Oh wait we do when it comes to scripts now a days.

Wow, I'm cranky and its not even Thurs.

danielkaiser
11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Talk about being insecure ... you should embrace your heritage instead of denying it.

Sorry I'm not actually from Memphis, but I'll give you a hint.
I grew up playing with a very large talking mouse, my neighbor was Richard Nixon, the Beach Boys were on the radio and the sky's were filled with helicopters and blimps.

I am resplendent in divergence.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Hum. Maybe with the sloppy "pilot show" exposition out of the way...

warmiak
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Sorry I'm not actually from Memphis, but I'll give you a hint.
I grew up playing with a very large talking mouse, my neighbor was Richard Nixon, the Beach Boys were on the radio and the sky's were filled with helicopters and blimps.

That's even worse then ... what are you doing over there?

Studying them natives or perhaps that's the only place where you can actually shine ?

cresshead
11-04-2009, 07:11 PM
so V is heading the the sci fi channel on uk..mean it won't surface on proper tv till what 2011 or 2012....

i'll get it on usa dvd then if it turns out to be okay...let me know eh!

aurora
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Ah but the original had a fluid, cohesive story that was a lot more believable in its telling and people reaction. The new one has zero character development. It's all, here we go aliens and then people going one way or the other instantaneously. And wheres the Wiley clone? I liked Wiley in the original. Oh wait Diana => Anna so Wiley => illy?

Then there's SGU which is so slow and predictable in its story telling. When are we going to get something 'new' that floats between the two writing styles?

Here's hoping James Cameron is back in old form and makes me happy with a good story!

Wow even crankier and Thurs is only a couple hours away. Going to have to self ban myself till Friday.

Shnoze Shmon
11-05-2009, 07:46 PM

Both of your brain cells on opposite sides of the universe. Yep yer divergent.

danielkaiser
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Both of your brain cells on opposite sides of the universe. Yep yer divergent.

It's called Quantum Entanglement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement).

cresshead
11-06-2009, 07:59 AM
had to add this to the thread!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/3703190261_5030089e48_b.jpg

warmiak
11-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Ahhh... go soak your head. Most people here would NOT disagree that network TV is watered down for the lowest common denominator to understand. And his description OF that lowest common denominator is pretty much the on-the-money stereotype. You give most people a question on WHERE schooling is the worst and give them four options - northeast, south, midwest and west coast.... and guess which one they will pick EVERY time? Oh yes... it's the south.

Nice try but if you are looking for the worst of the worst -you don't have to look far ,certainly no need to head south.

http://www.walletpop.com/mortgages/worst-performing-public-schools

danielkaiser
11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice try but if you are looking for the worst of the worst -you don't have to look far ,certainly no need to head south.

http://www.walletpop.com/mortgages/worst-performing-public-schools

That big hot spot on the East Coast, why that's South Carolina.

danielkaiser
11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
had to add this to the thread!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/3703190261_5030089e48_b.jpg

She looks more like she's from Nashville.

aurora
11-07-2009, 08:55 AM
OK Thurs over, Fridays over its Sat and I gave a few of you the benefit that I have clouded judgement so, sadly, I just watched it again.
Sorry I was not cranky I was simply right. BUT, I will continue to watch in hopes I'll be proven wrong. Alas I have higher hopes that 2012 has a decent storyline to match the VFX and since I know the storyline for 2012------
At least its a pretty watch I'll give it that and I do like pretty.

[EDIT]By pretty I meant 'V' but I guess it will probably apply to '2012' as well.

cresshead
11-07-2009, 09:37 AM
OK Thurs over, Fridays over its Sat and I gave a few of you the benefit that I have clouded judgement so, sadly, I just watched it again.
Sorry I was not cranky I was simply right. BUT, I will continue to watch in hopes I'll be proven wrong. Alas I have higher hopes that 2012 has a decent storyline to match the VFX and since I know the storyline for 2012------

[EDIT]By pretty I meant 'V' but I guess it will probably apply to '2012' as well. pilots or ep01's are ususally 'shaky' as the crew and actors get to grips with the production and the script writers and directors see what/how the actors come across...

the only shows to really hit the ground running on episode 001 are battlestar galactica new show and lost really.

robertoortiz
11-07-2009, 09:39 AM
pilots or ep01's are ususally 'shaky' as the crew and actors get to grips with the production and the script writers and directors see what/how the actors come across...

the only shows to really hit the ground running on episode 001 are battlestar galactica new show and lost really.

Amen!

biliousfrog
11-07-2009, 09:42 AM

[EDIT]By pretty I meant 'V' but I guess it will probably apply to '2012' as well.

If it doesn't compell you to watch then it has already failed, very few shows actually get better over time, if anything they get worse (ie. Heroes). Unfortunately shows like V are so sure to get viewers at the start that the producers don't feel the need to put any effort in. It's a franchise that already has a cult following, it has some well known actors from other cult TV shows such as Lost and it's a format that is popular with the prime-time audience. You only usually get gems when the show has great writers on board from the start rather than hiring whoever they can with the budget that's left over.

There are some great shows coming out of the US networks at the moment, they're not neccessarily using A-list actors or have gigantic VFX budgets but the writing's solid and the concepts are original. It's easy to think of US network TV shows as all being bad but there are some outstanding ones, Lost, House, True Blood, Dexter, Hung even shows like Chuck and the sadly departed Reaper. I wish that 'The Nine' was given a fair chance because it had some potential but was cancelled before the 1st season finished because it was shown mid-week in the early hours of the morning and it never got decent viewing figures (duh!). It's unfortunate that shows like V and Flash Forward are given the right kind of attention.

aurora
11-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Its not the story line that I have issues with its the story telling that bothers me. In my opinion character development and proper event unfolding is absolutely critical. The first hour of V should have expanded to 2-3 hours and given proper treatment to both. Instead its is more like lets look at what would make a killer series based on talk, ratings, ect over the past couple of years. Lets write them down on a post board. Then someone came in thinking the idea post board was the story board and being anal about staying with what they saw in order to keep their jobs they ran without and then nobody bothered watching the editing before showing. Either that or as in all things Hollywood it was purely a money decision to post all the main sellers together and let people piece it together like one would an older comic book.

I do think all the elements are there, I like the actors in it, mostly, I kinda like the terrorism take over the Nazi/Holocaust theme although this will probably come back in. I like the effects, for the most part. Its just the rapid fire who cares about the characters treatment that eats at me. Call me old school but proper story telling must come first. This is the very reason why BSG, Lost in the beginning, SG1, Dexter, SuperNatural, ect were/are such mega hits, the story and characters come first.