PDA

View Full Version : Scale/Size of Objects in Lightwave

wtdedula
11-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Hello All;
I have a question for all you experts out there.

When designing an object, say a SpaceShip interior, do you use real-world dimensions in Lightwave or just draw it to scale and not really worry acout real-world dimensions ?

I am going to be designing some interiors and other objects and I need them to fit together properly (Ie. one can't be very large and the other very small).

Tim

RudySchneider
11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
It's my understanding that lighting characteristics (especially for refraction, caustics, shaders, materials nodes, etc.) take into account actual dimensions.

wtdedula
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
That makes sense. Unless anyone else suggests otherwise, I'll plan to make my objects real world dimensions. I will use lighting for one thing.

Tim

Iain
11-03-2009, 03:11 PM
It makes sense to always use real world dimensions so that you can get a sense of scale and perspective in your workflow.

For example, if part of a model pencil is 20m long, you then have to think in fractions of a meter to model what you know to be a 2mm tip.

opensource
11-04-2009, 01:18 AM
[GENERAL]

get the idea of just making and object and hitting H to scale ! out your head asap ,always work with real world dimensions ,trust me there's nothing worse than going into a studio and they say we need 3 -1 scale here are the schematics go and model ...........

"and you go can I just make it then scale it "
the'll hunt you down and kill you :)

wtdedula
11-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks fellas for all of the great tips and information.

Tim