PDA

View Full Version : IKB ridiculous

clagman
11-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Just fantastic. I have never tried this system and since the new project involves quite a bit of character animation (and only two of us running the show). I thought I would test it out just to see if I was missing out on something. I have been to say the least. Going to use a massive amount of mocap so this seems an easy way to copy motions around.

Thanks Larry for the introduction...

tyrot
11-03-2009, 08:47 AM
dear larry

did i miss the DVD for IKB mocap? kurv?

best

SplineGod
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice to hear its working out. I use it all the time when dealing with mocap and its saved me a lot of time and money. Thanks!

I know Wes has a backlog of webinars to edit and thats one that should be done soon.

m.d.
11-04-2009, 10:32 PM
i'm surprised how little I knew about IKB....
I thought it was a hack job, but now i realize the error of my ways....it's actually quite powerful...
and i own licenses of mya and motionbuilder as well....
I hope newtek can keep this and expand on it in CORE....

SplineGod
11-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I doubt it. Very little has been done to it since LW8 and
CA tools in Core are very likely a long ways off.

allabulle
11-05-2009, 02:58 AM
The whole IKB "thing" is weird. The apparent lack of support from NewTek (at least there's a lack of promotion, one could say) is a pity and, among other weirdness, now ikboost.com is down (well, it says it is.)

We will see what happens, but if it's dropped instead of "evolved" I hope it is for the best. Still it was a great system with even more potential.

SplineGod
11-05-2009, 03:11 AM
Right now the best CA tools Ive seen that are also affordable are in BLender.
The nice thing is Blender can export fbx,collada or mdd files to LW.

allabulle
11-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Right now the best CA tools Ive seen that are also affordable are in BLender.
The nice thing is Blender can export fbx,collada or mdd files to LW.

It seems so, Mr. Shultz. I'm eager to put my hands on Blender 2.5 once it's out (no time for me now for another beta/alpha software).

m.d.
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
well lets put the screws to Newtek to include a CA system in Core that follows along with some of the ideals of IKB....

I hate to say it but this day and age probably the fact that IKB had kinda not so flashy interface was probably it's biggest detriment to popularity...

Things tend to go unnoticed until the interface becomes a little more flash

SplineGod
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree. It does blend in very well.
Unfortunately a good CA system has so many dependcies on
various aspects of the app that it will probably be one of the last things
to be implemented. I think it will be a long time before we see such a thing.

Surrealist.
11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
It seems so, Mr. Shultz. I'm eager to put my hands on Blender 2.5 once it's out (no time for me now for another beta/alpha software).

It works quite well now. The time spent now will pay off because the changes are not going to be as fundamental as most people fear/hope. Everything you learn about Blender 2.49 will apply to 2.5. From there you'd most likely be adding to the knowledge rather than spending time starting over.

allabulle
11-06-2009, 03:13 AM
It works quite well now. The time spent now will pay off because the changes are not going to be as fundamental as most people fear/hope. Everything you learn about Blender 2.49 will apply to 2.5. From there you'd most likely be adding to the knowledge rather than spending time starting over.

After writing my last post I started to think about what you said later. Maybe it's worth the effort to try more seriously Blender now. I have the impression that parts of Blender's functions are hidden unless you know beforehand the key shortcut (which wouldn't be a shortcut at all if it's the only way of doing something, one may presume): I'm only hoping the new interface because of such scenario. I think I rather call me lazy than coward: I'm afraid of getting lost and in a few more months it could be solved for me. The tricky part is that I'll be a few months behind the actual ability to use the software by then.

You have a point there. I'll think of it a bit more (instead of doing it?) :--)

Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and since we're here, I also thank you for the nice modeling tutorials you share too.

Surrealist.
11-07-2009, 10:49 PM
You're welcome for the tutorials.

I understand about the time factor with Blender. It took me only a few days full time to understand the interface. Then about 3 weeks was spent going over the manual cover to cover.

Many of the keyboard shortcuts are also in the menus.

The main thing - and the reason for my post - is to realize that Blender has a different way of handling data. It is actually very logical. Once you get your head around that, ALL of the functions are tied into this same way of handing data.

So the same button you would hit if an object is selected to see the surface attributes is the same button you hit when a light it selected to see the light properties of color and so on. The button is always in the same place all the time in the interface no matter what type of object you choose. This in LightWave would be similar to P in layout to get Light Properties or Object Properties etc.

The difference is that in Blender these buttons are all universal. They are all in the same place all the time. No separate panels to open up. And each button will handle either the same or similar attributes for Lights, Camera, Object Surface and so on.

The entire interface is like this. So this is why - when you take a little time to get it - it speeds up once you get it. And you also realize how much faster and intuitive it is.

The same applies to Key Shorts for translations and so on.

It goes like this through the entire interface. Simple and logical and everything always where you expect it will be.

One of gthe strongest things about 2.5 is that they are going to expand on this universal approach to data and even more things will be universal throughout the program than are not now available.

Should be a very exiting release.

I think all of the talk about the interface - from what I have seen - is that it will be just more customizable and flexible. But as it is it is already very flexible. I think much more so than even LightWave. Once you learn what it can do you'll see.

Again the point being. If you don't first understand the power of how it handles data, customizing the interface won't make much sense.

More food for thought.

allabulle
11-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Thank you for your explanation. You nailed it: my fears are vanished :--)

I think I'm buying a book on Blender and I'll give it a shot on weekends.

Surrealist.
11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Cool. The onine manual is free:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual

I suggest starting from the beginning, get a history on it and dive right into the section on the Interface.

For questions become a member of the Blender Artists forum.

http://blenderartists.org/cms/content/view/12/30/

Answers usually come pretty quick. Between the forum to fill in any not-obvious gaps and the manual as well as the plethora of free tutorials - not to mention the free content from any of the Blender Foundation short films - you have quite a bit of information at your fingertips. You can actually download and study ALL of the scene files from these films:

Elephant's Dream (http://www.elephantsdream.org/)

http://orange.blender.org/wp-content/themes/orange/images/media/gallery/s7_both.jpg

Big Buck Bunny (http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/media-gallery/)

http://peach.blender.org/wp-content/uploads/its-a-trap.png

There is one before these two as well but I forget the name of it off hand.

This project however was also created in Blender.

Lighthouse (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128330)

Pretty cool.

From what I have seen, the rigging tutorials are pretty awesome too.

Good luck!

allabulle
11-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Thank you so much. Next weekend it's going to be something! :--)

dwburman
11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Those large pix make this thread very difficult to read.