PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica VFX tutorials and howtos.

djlithium
11-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Lightwave Kats!
Just a quick note, I am producing a series of Videos for Shuttle Computer (www.shuttle.com or http://us.shuttle.com) using the assets from Battlestar Galactica.
You can find the videos at http://www.battlestarvfx.com for those of you who are interested in how we did shots on BSG and how the shuttles worked out for us (really well) on season III when I started deploying them across the farm and the artists desktops.

This is an on going series of videos and I will be adding more every few days.

Enjoy and if you have any requests, let me know!

JeffrySG
11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Very cool! Thanks Kat. :)

The Dommo
11-01-2009, 05:33 PM
awesome :D

virtualcomposer
11-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey thanks Kat. As usual you're awsome!!

Stooch
11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
i started reading your website but quickly got annoyed by all the *****ing and whining about being a "poor misunderstood guy that no one listens to" - so i moved on.

if you really want to teach people, it helps not to come across as a whiner, just saying.

also your little quip about how maya and 3dsmax people are all sad losers because they dont use lightwave and fusion to do everything was just laughable.

hrgiger
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
While I'm rarely inclined to agree with Stooch's eloquent delivery, I gotta do it here. I dont' see the need for bashing other software or methodologies. You may have some good information to share there and its cool you feel the need to share but that's not the way to do it.

LazyCoder
11-01-2009, 08:27 PM
GEEZE you seem a tad bitter at everyone you work with. :lol:

MooseDog
11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
i've learned a sh!t-ton from your old tutes, and am again. many thx!

never ever be afraid to speak in the active voice. so many folks in this world speak, act adn behave in a passive voice, and don't put themselves out there and don't accomplish anything.

keep speakin' your mind, keep sharing. thx again.

nikfaulkner
11-02-2009, 02:53 AM
thanks a bunch

allabulle
11-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Thank you. I learned from your tutorials in the past too and will be checking your site again.

dee
11-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Stooch
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
never ever be afraid to speak in the active voice. so many folks in this world speak, act adn behave in a passive voice, and don't put themselves out there and don't accomplish anything.

Thats just it, im inclined to believe that he didnt say anything to the people he worked with and instead vented all his frustrations online... pretty passive if you ask me.

Hey i had issues when i worked on projects too... i solved them by talking to my bosses/coworkers and resolved them quickly, thus eliminating the need to post about it on my website... besides, i would think that if you vent on a website you might burn some bridges...

CC Rider
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
It was unfortunate that there was some really great info in the tut that I read, but to get to it, you had to read through all the sour grapes (or whatever you want to call it...)

It would have been a great improvement to the flow of the teaching to skip all that and save it for a blog or some other venue more suited to "the gripe".

Great information (and much appreciated!)
Bad delivery

GregMalick
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for putting together this tutorial - probably took quite a bit of your personal time. Looks excellent.

Venting doesn't bother me at all... I just read right through it.

Intuition
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Thats just it, im inclined to believe that he didnt say anything to the people he worked with and instead vented all his frustrations online... pretty passive if you ask me.

Hey i had issues when i worked on projects too... i solved them by talking to my bosses/coworkers and resolved them quickly, thus eliminating the need to post about it on my website... besides, i would think that if you vent on a website you might burn some bridges...

Yeah, there were stories when I got there (BSG VFX) about Kat.

I wont go into them because they are lame and boring. :sleeping:

I will say that I understand both sides of the argument. There is trying to do things the way you feel they should be done, like Kat is making his case for.

Then there is the way the boss has set things up to be done (Production pipeline) and when you argue against that you often lose.

Sad he rips on Gary Hutzel. Gary is really cool.

In Kat's defense I often got looked at strange when I mentioned setting up the shots for Linear Workflow. Since most Lightwave houses haven't even heard of it. I now am starting to see threads about it in NT forums which is great. None the less, I went ahead and rendered some passes of the original cylon U-87 with LWF for the final shots of the first Caprica episode.

People thought it looked great. So. In the end I made the shot and its methodology went through unnoticed since the final quality made people happy.

Lesson? Get it done and make it look good and no one will care if you use two tooth picks and toilet paper.

On the other hand, the BSG guys are great to work with and its a bummer Kat had such a sour experience because I had a blast. Its some of the last LW work I did.

Andyjaggy
11-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I don't care how talented you are, no one likes to work with a whiner and a prima donna.

Riff_Masteroff
11-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Kat: thanks so much for: posting, your creative efforts and your tutorials.

Battlestar Galactica is so far away (lol) from my work (messing with definitive 3d models for use in construction). Using lightwave, I need to in(or out) with or actually use some strange applications such as Tekla, Catia, Revit, ArchiCAD, Navisworks and AutoCAD. That being said, there is much commonality: I often use a lightwave/exrtrader/fusion workflow, keep company with a cat, have a Shuttle box (among others), and I deeply agree with your included rant.

I interface with many professionals. Some are highly paid, have great responsibility, and consider themselves important. I would hope that my environment is software neutral and results oriented. It is not. Simply put, I get a whole lot of grief for using lightwave and, more recently, fusion. So far, exrtrader or Jovian has not taken a hit. That criticism comes from every wheres, here on the NT forums (I should get a real CAD program), IRC lightwave channels (Fusion is a cheap program to do amature or grade C production work). Or from architects: I should delete lightwave and a) get sketchup/max or b) get a wooden drafting table with T-square and paper. And that after I cause a project(s) to be big time re-designed (constructibility issues: your design doesn't work), or help the company I work for win a $35 million lawsuit, or help acquire multiple new work awards (contracts, some valued at a billion dollars or more). And that using the above mentioned work flow.

Ok, consider this post to be a whine. Why not cave in and get rid of LW? Well, these 3d apps are simply not interchangeable. Its best for a construction design to be worked out before you build it. The use of LW excels, I don't think I can replace it. So what do I do? Well, I feel bad and I mostly hide my use of LW from others in my workplace community. And hopefully rarely, but sometimes, I vent and rant.

MrWyatt
11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
wow the level of bile your website contains is really amusing, but also very sad and pitiful, and I cannot believe anyone would want to be seen that way. so if you want people to think of you as a pro, tone it down a little. It really looks childish and weak.

other wise, nice tuts. thanks for them.

manholoz
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I have not gone through all the tutorials, but they look mighty interesting, as I don't do movie stuff, but more archviz stuff. I'm not sure I understood all the ranting, as it sounds a bit too local (Starbucks at corner X, for example).

I'm not sure about the ranting. On one part, it reads as a human being writting exactly what is on his mind, and not some ridiculously squeaky clean comments that look as if they've already been approved by an army of PR consultants and lawyers.

But, I suppose a little bit less complaints would make the website a friendlier place.

Still, I'm grateful for all the info he is sharing.

Wickster
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Cool tutorials...I'm still reading/watching, and will be for a awhile. Again, many thanks for this.

I hope I'm not intruding or anything but, do you have a tutorial on that famous hand-held camera zoom effects that is widely used in BSG and Firefly? I know it looks so easy but I just can't get a grip on it. lol.

Thanks.

dwburman
11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm watching the videos (which was the main subject of the first post) and he doesn't rant in the videos.

The compositing/shot break-out tutorial has been there a while and he was definitely venting when he wrote it. :)

Titus
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
The HD BSG tutorial helped me a lot with an important movie project.

cresshead
11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
interesting vids!...nice!

radams
11-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Hi KC,

I agree that we should all be working in a linear pipeline these days...but still many people don't get it or understand it...

I've been a fan of Stu's concepts and thoughts on it for sometime.

Doesn't it make life easier...and the images look better?

Cheers,

Andyjaggy
11-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I've never personally understood the linear workflow all that well.

Then again the majority of the time I am taking my 3D into AE and adding motion graphics, I'm not compositing onto a film plate or anything, so from what I understand I really don't need to mess with it, so long as it looks good. :)

shrox
11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I just want to remind everyone that I am the Prima Donna. Officially labelled so by an expert in mediocrity.

GraphXs
11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks,and so far a good read. I don't mind a little ranting, but it would be nice just to get to the great stuff that LW has done/can do. I too deal with people who are clueless to LW. I'm glad I get the power to still use it in my pipeline. Max is our main app and we love to rant about Max and its issues. The Maya guy and me try to make Max a weird combo app that has the functions of Maya and LW. He can script some kick *** stuff to make Max more user friendly. Anyway thanks for the tutorials. It great to understand the workflow of LW one high-end shows. It will improve my knowledge of LW. I would love to use LW as an alternative to Max/Vray. VRay is nice, but can also have issues. The LW render engine is fast and easy to use. :thumbsup:

Q:When you render to through a network, is there any easy way to set the output folder to a network folder? (example: 10.2.19.24\\Lightwave\Renders) through the renders settings?

littlewaves
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I like the ranting. I want to see more ranting in LW tutorials.

Liber777
11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
...(Fusion is a cheap program to do amature or grade C production work)...

I've never heard that one. That's fing hilarious! I've sorta heard this from some peeps about After Effects, which is also unfair.

Liber777
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I like the ranting. I want to see more ranting in LW tutorials.

Every tut should have a reference to a '*****y compositor.'

toby
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
wow the level of bile your website contains is really amusing, but also very sad and pitiful, and I cannot believe anyone would want to be seen that way. so if you want people to think of you as a pro, tone it down a little. It really looks childish and weak.

other wise, nice tuts. thanks for them.
Couldn't have said it better, he's shooting himself in the foot.

djlithium
11-06-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah, there were stories when I got there (BSG VFX) about Kat.

I wont go into them because they are lame and boring. :sleeping:

I will say that I understand both sides of the argument. There is trying to do things the way you feel they should be done, like Kat is making his case for.

Then there is the way the boss has set things up to be done (Production pipeline) and when you argue against that you often lose.

Sad he rips on Gary Hutzel. Gary is really cool.

In Kat's defense I often got looked at strange when I mentioned setting up the shots for Linear Workflow. Since most Lightwave houses haven't even heard of it. I now am starting to see threads about it in NT forums which is great. None the less, I went ahead and rendered some passes of the original cylon U-87 with LWF for the final shots of the first Caprica episode.

People thought it looked great. So. In the end I made the shot and its methodology went through unnoticed since the final quality made people happy.

Lesson? Get it done and make it look good and no one will care if you use two tooth picks and toilet paper.

On the other hand, the BSG guys are great to work with and its a bummer Kat had such a sour experience because I had a blast. Its some of the last LW work I did.

Well you see Gary is cool. I still respect the man and miss him greatly, but at one point he stopped making sense completely. Stress? Sure. Misinformation being fed his direction? ABSOLUTELY! And that was my big problem with it because he originally tasked me with the job to make sure we did things his way and I stuck to it as much as humanly (kat) possible.

It wasn't Gary's fault what happened to us in Vancouver, but he was the man in charge and should have seen it coming from a million miles away and put the brakes on it. That's still a really big head scratcher for a few of us in the department who were there before I left and after. It would have been a much more enjoyable experience for all of us and really it was just two people, one an artist, one not - who ripped the department in half. That was done for whatever reasons (fame? Glory? Work permits?) but in the end my reasons for sharing this stuff is that Gary and Doug taught me a lot of stuff and I want to share it with people. But there are somethings that even those two had for information and passed it on were based in very old production techniques. That's not to say those are bad production techniques, quite the contrary - it was that they could be made in to modern techniques and work very, very well when dusted off and put into a modern pipeline with modern rendering technology and some tricks that were largely based on things we all came up with. Unfortunately some of the assets were in such bad shape that it wasn't directly possible right off the bat and I was working through that at the time when I left.

Everything else that took place is history, sure, but I remember everything about how it went down and frankly it was all because of dis-information being moved around by one person.

You have to remember I wrote the original tutorial there almost immediately after I left. And I was very, very pissed off - because the situation wasn't (and still isn't) resolved. But instead of editing it - I left it because I don't believe in revisionist history.

In the mean time I will have more stuff come out and post it online for people to check out. One of the reasons why I started doing this was so that I could get more people in Vancouver interested in LW so that more LW shows could be done directly in Vancouver for the VFX. Which in turn means more work for more LW people including myself. Not a bad thing. Throughout season II and III it was always a "who can we get to do LW in Vancouver?" and we kept coming up short because they were all working else where (atmosphere, rainmaker, stargate franchise ie brick house, etc) and that was a major problem. It's something I am trying to correct.

Anyway, if you see Gary, tell him i said "Meow".

I don't hate the guy I just think its pretty lame that he wouldn't phone me up himself to say "thanks for everything, but..."

djlithium
11-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Cool tutorials...I'm still reading/watching, and will be for a awhile. Again, many thanks for this.

I hope I'm not intruding or anything but, do you have a tutorial on that famous hand-held camera zoom effects that is widely used in BSG and Firefly? I know it looks so easy but I just can't get a grip on it. lol.

Thanks.

Yes I will be covering that in a side video kind of thing. It's not an easy style to do. You would think it is, but its not. Everyone who has done it on the show was more or less pretty awesome at it almost all the time but occasionally we would even loose it and have to start over.... Some days it just comes to you other days its a disaster and you have to throw it out and start over and then you nail it after resetting your brain.

Here is a tip though -

The best approach I have found is to "not" try and replicate it as a "style" at all - but instead just be loose about it with a general area of interest you want to hit with the frame and keep it from locking "dead center". Let things drift and open up that graph editor and tweak just slightly. Don't make it "perfectly" sloppy. Know what I mean?

djlithium
11-06-2009, 06:58 AM
While I'm rarely inclined to agree with Stooch's eloquent delivery, I gotta do it here. I dont' see the need for bashing other software or methodologies. You may have some good information to share there and its cool you feel the need to share but that's not the way to do it.

Yeah well whatever happened to defending your territory? Like your love of software app? Maybe if we had a little more of that in a more aggressive tone and then dropped the goods in front of people and said - HERE LOOK! DONE WITH LIGHTWAVE! then maybe some of those max and maya people would stop steam rolling us LW users for using some "crappy app" that no one uses - because hey, look... this was all done with LW...

djlithium
11-06-2009, 07:01 AM
The HD BSG tutorial helped me a lot with an important movie project.

You are very welcome - I am happy it helped someone out who is making shots using some of these techniques :)

Mike_RB
11-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Kelly, whatever went down was also the push for the union stuff to start creeping up into Vancouver VFX land wasn't it? I mean the BSG in house dept was the main target for IATSE and their desired entry into VFX. Shame that you guys got mistreated to the point of wanting to support that. I read the outline of what the union wanted to do for VFX artists in town and I really hope it never happens. If you guys had just walked it would have tanked BSG or cost them a TON of money to fix, seems a preferable solution to me.

m0184you
11-06-2009, 07:23 AM
@djlithium

Keep up the good work man!!!
Thanks A LOT! Lot's of interesting informations.
Mean also NewTek LW AD section need more aggressive approach. LW users to!
Cheers! :)

djlithium
11-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Kelly, whatever went down was also the push for the union stuff to start creeping up into Vancouver VFX land wasn't it? I mean the BSG in house dept was the main target for IATSE and their desired entry into VFX. Shame that you guys got mistreated to the point of wanting to support that. I read the outline of what the union wanted to do for VFX artists in town and I really hope it never happens. If you guys had just walked it would have tanked BSG or cost them a TON of money to fix, seems a preferable solution to me.

Hey Mike. We should probably take that portion of the discussion off line (the union stuff) but the reality is that the situation WAS THAT BAD and we had no one to turn to as our department in Vancouver - even though it was on the lot at the VFS and how we were treated was "hidden" from production with great amounts of effort put into keeping the situation away from the producers. The whole situation was a cluster fsck well before I left and well after. I wasn't the only one who got screwed over. Several people got fusked over in Vancouver well into season IV.

Anyway... this is about how we did the VFX on the show, not the screwballs who screwed up the experience of doing the VFX.

Mike_RB
11-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey Mike. We should probably take that portion of the discussion off line (the union stuff) but the reality is that the situation WAS THAT BAD and we had no one to turn to as our department in Vancouver - even though it was on the lot at the VFS and how we were treated was "hidden" from production with great amounts of effort put into keeping the situation away from the producers. The whole situation was a cluster fsck well before I left and well after. I wasn't the only one who got screwed over. Several people got fusked over in Vancouver well into season IV.

Anyway... this is about how we did the VFX on the show, not the screwballs who screwed up the experience of doing the VFX.

Fair enough. If you want to email me I'd like to hear about it: michael AT elementvfx DOT com. I worked at the Andromeda in house dept so I have some idea what can go down in those kinds of places.

djlithium
11-06-2009, 07:49 AM
It does seem to be a pattern in Vancouver doesn't it?

shrox
11-06-2009, 07:59 AM
It does seem to be a pattern in Vancouver doesn't it?

I applied oh so many moons ago, but since I was not a Canadian citizen, I was not accepted. Maybe a good thing, I have had my fill of office politics.

archijam
11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
But instead of editing it - I left it because I don't believe in revisionist history.

.. at least put a big fat date on each page, or write exactly as quoted above.

You may know when it was written, but how does the reader?

History has to be treated as history.

Otherwise - great work and a great resource! :)

djlithium
11-06-2009, 08:18 AM
.. at least put a big fat date on each page, or write exactly as quoted above.

You may know when it was written, but how does the reader?

History has to be treated as history.

Otherwise - great work and a great resource! :)

I have considered that... The site is going to be redone completely with a bunch of things changing (layout primarily and PHP instead of HTML).

There will be more vids though first and this thread has given me some great ideas. :P

djlithium
11-06-2009, 08:23 AM
I applied oh so many moons ago, but since I was not a Canadian citizen, I was not accepted. Maybe a good thing, I have had my fill of office politics.

Indeed, but based on some of your reel material you could have helped out a lot with some "here is how we do it info" and then let loose on shots. That is indeed why I am doing this stuff. Sharing the knowledge so that more people can get work doing good work in the best way possible. Not to say that everything I touch on is the best way possible, its just how BSG was designed and the people who designed how it worked made the show in terms of VFX sing - but there is always room for improvement.

Props!

MooseDog
11-06-2009, 08:34 AM
.....The site is going to be redone completely with a bunch of things changing (layout primarily and PHP instead of HTML)....

that should really snazz things up :thumbsup:, consider for readability changing the bg to white.....pls :D or at least some mild grey.

really helpful, and put in place here, stuff. stick with the attitude: THIS WAS DONE WITH LW! respect.

Intuition
11-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Well you see Gary is cool. I still respect the man and miss him greatly, but at one point he stopped making sense completely. Stress? ........................... edited for brevity..........

Anyway, if you see Gary, tell him i said "Meow".

I don't hate the guy I just think its pretty lame that he wouldn't phone me up himself to say "thanks for everything, but..."

No worries Kat. As I mentioned, in your defense, I also got strange and confused looks when I mentioned "new and improved" methodology.

Sounds like you are square with Gary now though, which is great in case you ever get a chance to cross paths again professionally.

To add to your story I asked if it was ok to use Fusion for some stuff and they said it was cool and actually had a couple copies around for me to use as well. I had wondered where these copes had come from since the pipeline at the time of my arrival for output to combustion. :D

djlithium
11-06-2009, 07:21 PM
No worries Kat. As I mentioned, in your defense, I also got strange and confused looks when I mentioned "new and improved" methodology.

Sounds like you are square with Gary now though, which is great in case you ever get a chance to cross paths again professionally.

To add to your story I asked if it was ok to use Fusion for some stuff and they said it was cool and actually had a couple copies around for me to use as well. I had wondered where these copes had come from since the pipeline at the time of my arrival for output to combustion. :D

HA!
Well, yes those copies would have come from Vancouver. I think one of them might actually have been mine as the dongles got mixed up. That's sorted now though but I didn't realize it until about a year later.
I do miss Gary and Doug - although I don't miss doug's laugh! (well I do a little bit! maybe---).

Interesting though about the fusion bit. I introduced Gary to EXR format in early 2006 and he loved it at first but then freaked out after getting some bad information about it and how to use it (for some reason exrTrader was confusing??) Did you eventually render stuff out with proper buffer usage or was that a challenge for them to understand as well? I fought HARD to get them to use render buffer export and exrTrader. I hope they worked with it after I left because it cut our time down for renders huge since before then they were not using render buffers but instead opted for "spec and diff" passes rendered out separately. uh... guys.... uhmmm.... you know LW has this function right????

Anyway. I do miss gary and doug. I do hope they are doing well.

djlithium
11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok I thought about it really hard. I don't miss dougs laugh. :P

Stooch
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah well whatever happened to defending your territory? Like your love of software app? Maybe if we had a little more of that in a more aggressive tone and then dropped the goods in front of people and said - HERE LOOK! DONE WITH LIGHTWAVE! then maybe some of those max and maya people would stop steam rolling us LW users for using some "crappy app" that no one uses - because hey, look... this was all done with LW...

hmm... well I happen to like lots of software apps, lightwave and maya being some of them. There is a distinct line between a fan and fanboy though.

Stooch
11-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Not really. It's subjective depending upon the person providing the opinion.

im sure you are an expert in the field, but here is my subjective take on it.

if you make personal generalizations about users because of the app they use.. then you know you are a fanboy.

chco2
11-07-2009, 03:27 AM
This is getting:offtopic: :)

Just wanna say thanks for the great inside look on how you did this with BSG. Very interesting!!

Stooch
11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Actually. I thought YOU were the expert since you bring it up much more than most I've observed here. "He's a fanboy, she's a fan"boy" you're a fanboy..." :)

I certainly don't make any personal generalizations about people because of the software they use. Seriously, how could anyone?.

hey genius (sarcasm). this isnt about you. i suggest you read the actual website in question, and you will see the generalizations for yourself.

realgray
11-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the video tuts and sharing your LW knowledge.
Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Intuition
11-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Did you eventually render stuff out with proper buffer usage or was that a challenge for them to understand as well? I fought HARD to get them to use render buffer export and exrTrader. I hope they worked with it after I left because it cut our time down for renders huge since before then they were not using render buffers but instead opted for "spec and diff" passes rendered out separately. uh... guys.... uhmmm.... you know LW has this function right????

They had the exr trader when I arrived. It was setup for rendering out multiple passes at once. There were still instances where Manny (render watcher/breakout guy) would have to open scenes up and breakout separate passes manually due to Lightwave not seeing certain things in reflections, refractions, but I think the EXR method was adopted fully by the time I got there in June of 08. Probably due to people fiddling with it after you left and realizing what it was capable of. But, don't quote me on that, I am assuming and don't really know.

Stooch
11-08-2009, 12:24 PM
And "I" say.... perhaps YOU misread the generalizations. As I have said previously in THIS thread (had you bothered to read), I believe Kat was just saying to all of those other NON-LW users - for those of you users of OTHER software packages who always put down LW or think it's not being developed, THIS is what it can do without any help from programming.

That's all. If YOU choose to read it one way as opposed to another, then that is YOUR choice - and... does not necessarily make you right. So I guess I AM the genius. :thumbsup:

No sarcasm here at all - just straight talk.

OK there straight talking genius.

kat changed his website so maybe there was a valid point that i made aferall.
as far as not reading your posts, i tend o skip over them because I just dont like reading your posts much. now go tend to vista, genius.

perhaps you mistook my original posts as an attack worthy of a fanboy defense, where in fact i was just saying a plain crit, using some of that "straight talk" you are so proud of.

but since you are such a genius instead of just a loud mouth, you totally missed the point... and now we have extraneous posts... that have nothing to do with his website anymore.

Cageman
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Check out Janus (http://janus.faulknermano.com/) as well. Janus+exrTrader+Fusion = love it!

:)

djlithium
11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Well it was never intended to completely replace the entire break out process. It was to simplify it partially while opening up more things in compositing and reduce the amount of clutter in file management. I love the fact that exrTrader will save to either individual files for each buffer or inside of a single exr layered file, but now also supports a mix of both AND, AND! it also will allow you to create your folder names automatically, which is super handy. What used to take 5 scenes in some cases would take 3 in most situations. Now with the refraction buffer + alpha it makes life a lot easier. But it's still not a total solution as you know. Still it's an awesome tool and it really does make things a lot easier and introduced the ability to increase the quality of the composites. Of course that assumes the compositor knows what they are doing with the material that comes out of render and that was highly questionable at times.

Cageman
11-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Ok... I have looked through the videos now. Pretty cool stuff, and the trick with DP Domelight is something I have to try myself. However, I'm not that impressed with the renderspeeds and there are certanly ways to make things render alot quicker, especially when rendering with motionblur. I'm certain that you know about this, so this isn't me trying to tell you how to make things go quicker; what I am saying is that it would be great if a future video would show the rest of the world how quickly things can be rendered if optimized.

Here is also where I think you would start to like Janus very, very much, since, from within a single scenefile, you can setup passes that have different settnigs on AA and motionblur. Lets say that one pass really benefits from being rendered with PRMBlur (a high speed ship passing by uplcose to the camera), while another pass would benefit from being rendered to exrTrader motionvectors (slower moving ships in the background) and make those sing later on in the compositing application (yes it works).