PDA

View Full Version : PC or Laptop buying suggestion

alifx
11-01-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi all,

im willing to put my low budget which is 800$ on a laptop or a pc, so guys any advice?

I saw acer aspire, T6400 2.0 Core 2 Duo, Nividia 9600 GT CUDA 1 Mb i think its actually 512 but shared, 16 inch screen , 3 Gb DDR 2. and its a bit under 800$

but im thinking also find the best pc i can get or to assemble a custom pc within that range for the maximum power to use it with lightwave and good rendering speed.

:help: please

cheers

DiscreetFX
11-01-2009, 08:26 AM
We were surprised SpeedEDIT even ran on our dual booting Aspire One. This Netbook boots into Google Android in 14 seconds. You also have the option to switch to XP. We are not recommending this Netbook for you though, it's just cool SpeedEDIT even loaded.

Ratboy
11-01-2009, 08:42 AM
The Aspire should do fine. I've been using LW on an HP G60 120US for the last year or so with similar specs (2.0Ghz Turion x2, 3 gigs RAM, Nvidia 8200M G (shared memory), 15.4" screen) and it's done the job pretty well for a cheap laptop.

In fact, it's done well enough that I've considered selling my dual-quad system...

radams
11-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

im willing to put my low budget which is 800$ on a laptop or a pc, so guys any advice?

I saw acer aspire, T6400 2.0 Core 2 Duo, Nividia 9600 GT CUDA 1 Mb i think its actually 512 but shared, 16 inch screen , 3 Gb DDR 2. and its a bit under 800$

but im thinking also find the best pc i can get or to assemble a custom pc within that range for the maximum power to use it with lightwave and good rendering speed.

:help: please

cheers

Hi alifx,

So is your focus on LW...or a more general production system?
Are you needing it to be portable...or is a desktop going to be okay?

I've been setting up systems...that have a little bit more than your budget...but have double the throughput...for 1,200 or so.

But there are so many options today...

Are you also looking to work in 64 bit ot 32 bit?

Cheers,

alifx
11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi alifx,

So is your focus on LW...or a more general production system?
Are you needing it to be portable...or is a desktop going to be okay?

I've been setting up systems...that have a little bit more than your budget...but have double the throughput...for 1,200 or so.

But there are so many options today...

Are you also looking to work in 64 bit ot 32 bit?

Cheers,

I will do some archi work with lightwave, mostly villas and houses, and will use high resolution textures, mostly medium poly count, and the rendering speed is important.

i prefer it portable but a desktop is totally okay with me.

im looking for the cheapest and best that i can get with this low budget.

thanks alot for the help :)

radams
11-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I will do some archi work with lightwave, mostly villas and houses, and will use high resolution textures, mostly medium poly count, and the rendering speed is important.

i prefer it portable but a desktop is totally okay with me.

im looking for the cheapest and best that i can get with this low budget.

thanks alot for the help :)

Hi,

Well, I understand the need for portable :).

It will be a trade off though.

For High resolution textures and Polys...the more memory the better...both system and GPU...shared memory(that most portables do) takes away from the throughput too.
Also something that most don't think about ...is the Temp or swap space needed...since there is a limited amount of memory...many process will go to virtual memory, thus use the hard drive...it is best to have a stand alone fast drive or raid to deal with that...so on a laptop...you'll have a slowdown with that.

Nvidia would be my choice for GPU...not always the fastest...but better drivers IMHO.

Then that leaves the CPU...well, you need something that can scream through those GI calcs...the CPU you mentioned is on the lower end. Not bad...just don't expect it to kickin any afterburners through your frames.

What you've spec'd isn't bad...just not the level I'ld want to work on.

Don't forget about power supply and cooling...you'll be leaving that unit on for awhile to render :)

I know you stated that you have a $800 budget...

For $1,000 - $1,200 I'ld put together a desktop with a 24" screen that would run over that laptop.

Cheers,

alifx
11-01-2009, 12:56 PM
useful information radams thanks for the advice,

i will go for a desktop then, i think i'll take core 2 quad and 4 gb ddr2 then find a good nvidia card and assemble them all together.

=)

JonW
11-01-2009, 02:09 PM
As said above. Go for the desktop, unless you need it for other reasons.

The larger the screen the better for complex architecture drawings. 24” would be the absolute minimum. You so often need to see a plans, section & elevations simultaneously. There is nothing worse than real estate shortage.

Architectural projects need high res images (5000x 3500) & have lots to transparent & reflective surfaces, lots of textures, you need to throw as much CPU resources as possible at it & enough ram.

Down the track add at least a second 24”. it will make life so much easier.

cresshead
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
laptops are still cool..i run a acer laptop with a 24" monitor hooked up..that way i get huge screen and it's still portable if i need it to be..that way i have 2 screens to work with.

i'd add i do have a few pc's...including a quadcore desktop but i'm using laptops for my day to day work mostly and leaving the quad for rendering.

SBowie
11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
laptops are still cool..i run a acer laptop with a 24" monitor hooked up..that way i get huge screen and it's still portable if i need it to be..that way i have 2 screens to work with.I'm in much the same boat, using a laptop as my primary system in a 'destkop replacement' config for now. I've got two 24" Samsungs connected to it, and normally leave the lid closed, rather than using the third screen.

CC Rider
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
If you go with a laptop, be sure you have proper airflow underneath it if you plan to do any all-night renders. I've heard horror stories of processors frying themselves in that type of situation...running all night at full blast...

:D

cresshead
11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
If you go with a laptop, be sure you have proper airflow underneath it if you plan to do any all-night renders. I've heard horror stories of processors frying themselves in that type of situation...running all night at full blast...

yeah i have my Acer raised up on three sanding blocks:D...they're light and have excelent friction!:)...lo tech but it works a treat!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs275.snc1/10233_138242682870_553887870_2508722_908211_n.jpg

CC Rider
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Is that your "rescue" kitty?
Looks like he has settled in to the new home nicely.
Looks like he is a big "help" with computer tasks just like mine!!

cresshead
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Is that your "rescue" kitty?
Looks like he has settled in to the new home nicely.
Looks like he is a big "help" with computer tasks just like mine!!

yeah she's cool..she perfers the trackpad to the mouse!:)
she's actually pointing at the 'off button' so i play with her rather than surf the web!