PDA

View Full Version : Can we do the Network Rendering combining 64bit and 32bit?

rickson_tak
11-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi all, now I'm facing a biggest problem to do network rendering.
Please let me write down my current situation.:help:

My host machine is windows7 64bit installed Lightwave9.6 64bit.
And my node machine are 32bit windows XP machines.(I have 3 "32bit" XP machine....)

I didn't know launching "64bit lwsn.exe" on "windows32bit" is impossible.
When I see this alart on 32bit machine, I screamed a lot,,,,lol8~

So, is there any good ideas to clear this problem??
And if it's impossible to launch "64bit lwsn.exe on 32bit machine", what would you do?

I'd like to know your opinions.:help:

Thank you very much in advance.:)

Lightwolf
11-01-2009, 05:54 AM
The simplest way is to use the 32-bit on all machines, that will work for sure.
You could mix as well, but that is a lot harder to set up and chances are that the renders will not be completely identical.

rickson_tak
11-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you, Lightwolf,

That sounds fine!!
Actually, is it possible to install 32bit LW and 64bit LW at the same machine??
I think it seems posibble.
Now I installed LW9.6 64bit to my "W"drive.
The folder name is "LightWave_9_64".
I'll try to install LW9.6 32bit to the same drive.
Probably the folder name will become "Lightwave_9".
And also, config file name is gonna be different between 32bit and 64bit.

If I remember correctly, the name of config file of 32bit is "lw9.cfg", but 64bit is "lw9_64.cfg", so Is there any possibility to overwrite 64bit LW files when I install 32bit of LW??
I'll try to do that.

Now I'm thinking the best work flows.
Here are what I came up with;
when I have to do modeling and setting the scenes, I would use 64bit LW but, when I need to render using LWSN, I'm going to launch 32bit LW and load files I made in 64bit LW.
If I can do this, I can use my 64bit machine for compositing using AfterEffects and so on,,,.

But I don't know whether I can install both version of LW at the 64bit machine.
I have to check it out.

I'm going to report this result tomorrow.
And I would be glad if someone who did the same things before gave me advices about this.:bowdown:

Lightwolf
11-01-2009, 09:03 AM
But I don't know whether I can install both version of LW at the 64bit machine.
You can. Just make sure you use different directories. And the config files are using different file names, except for one, but that isn't crucial.
As long as the plugin config files (lwext.cfg) us a different file name - which they do - you're fine.

Cheers,
Mike

3DGFXStudios
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
You can mix up 32 and 64 bit nodes on a farm. I do it sometimes and I never had any different looking frames. But there is no way you can run 64bit software on a 32bit system. Only the other way around.

djlithium
11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi there.
As someone who has extensive experience with mixed 64bit and 32bit LWSN (controlled via smedge 2.x) farms I can say that I have successfully done it without much issue and have used a mixed farm on a number of occasions to ship production shots.
The biggest issue is ram. More so than potentially different output, ram limits in the 32bit environment are a major concern, however depending on your scenes its very doable and frankly I can't think of another application that actually works well over the network for rendering in a mixed environment other than Lightwave and Fusion.

rickson_tak
11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi there, thank you very much for the advices!

Actually, today I installed 32bit LW to the same machine, and finally I was able to do the network rendering with other 32bit windows machines.

I just made diffrent folder and installed LW32bit to it. As everyone advised, the .cfg file name is different and seems there are no troubles now.
I think dual(32bit and 64bit) LW installing is very easy and comfortable.

Now what I want to do is to synchlonize the 32bit folders(images, Objects, scenes) to 64bit folders(images, Objects, scenes).
Because I'd like to use 64bit when I need to do modeling and setting up scenes. I'd like to use 32bit LW just for network rendering.
If 32bit folder files always copy(synchlonize) 64bit LW files automatically, it would be great!!

Anyway, I can finish up this 64bit and 32bit problems now!
Thanks a lot, everyone!!:)

Sensei
11-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Actually there is no sense using 64 bit for modeling ;)
Before you would end up running out of memory, there would be so much geometry, that any editing would not be possible with so slow OpenGL refreshes..
And with 32 bit Modeler you can use much more 3rd party plug-ins.

DanD
11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm in the process of getting a 64 bit workstation and have a 32 bit renderfarm. My question is: Does 64 bit LW come with a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of LWSN render node or just a 64 bit version? If there is a 32 bit version that you can run on the renderfarm machines this would solve a lot of problems.

pixym
11-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Actually there is no sense using 64 bit for modeling ;)
Before you would end up running out of memory, there would be so much geometry, that any editing would not be possible with so slow OpenGL refreshes..
And with 32 bit Modeler you can use much more 3rd party plug-ins.
Agree with that. Usually I run Modeler 32 bit and Layout 64 and let the hub on.

wsantiago
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I think the only problem might be plug-ins. if you use a layout plug-ins that is needed for rendering(surface effector, HD instance, sasquatch, etc...), then you must have it installed in both the 32 and 64 versions of lightwave if you are going to mix render nodes.

calilifestyle
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I have to ask . why do we need to point the config file to a different folder for 64 and 32 bit. my installed 64 and 32 config files are labeled lw 64 9 for all files. But my lw32 are just labeled lw9 config.