PDA

View Full Version : Wave Filter Image and Special Buffers

txbob
08-31-2003, 01:17 AM
I'm trying to de-saturate the colors in 3d a object while leaving the background image alone. I see that wave filter image has the ability to de-saturate, and also allows you to do it based on several criteria.

One option is to affect objects only. This affects everything.
Another is to affect the background only. This affects everything.
Another very interesting option is to affect based on surface. This also affects everything.

I understand how to set up the special buffers and everything, although the manual doesn't really say much other than to turn it on. I know that the first buffer numerically will work on the first image filter in the list.

In this case I'm just trying to get it to work, so I'm setting up a scene with one object, one surface, and one special buffer. I understand that buffers have changed for some reason and are no longer using 0-255 as input, and are now using 0-1, so I have mine set at .5 ( been a long time since I buffered.....)

Obviously this effect could be easily done in another program, but the animation will be using a few other trick from wave filter, so I guess I'd like to do it in one pass.

BTW I know I could just make the surface the right color, but there are some colored lights in the final scene, and all I need to do to make this one surface look right is pull out about 60% of the saturation..

I appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.

richpr
08-31-2003, 01:32 AM
I think I saw a thread on that on CGTalk recently... with an architectural design... ah the bookstore (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78360&highlight=special+buffer)

txbob
08-31-2003, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the info richpr... it let me know I was doing things the right way, but I'm still having the same problem. None of affect options seem to be working. Here's how I'm testing.

Load any colored background image. Load any single colored object. (I'm using a default sphere, obnoxious purple.) Load WaveFilter image as the only image filter. Set saturation to 0%. Render, and as you would expect the whole image is grayscale. Now go the the affect tab, and select objects. I get the same result, no color in BKG. Select Background, and the same result. The object is still gray. I tried High/Low color, usuing the appropriate settings, and still totally de-saturated.

Tried selected surfaces, and went to the correct surface and set the first special buffer to .5, which I assume should pull out 50% of the color, and still same result. I tried all 4 buffers set to 0, 1, and even 800! (why doesn't it default back to 1 if 0 to 1 is the acceptable range?)

Next, just to prove a point, I loaded a second object set both objects to 100% reflective, turned on ray tracing, and selected Ray Trace and spherical mapping on the enviro tab. They were both reflecting. Then using special buffers and the soften reflections image filter worked fine. I set one surface buffer to 1 and the other to .5, and one was totally affected, the other half as much.

I used to use this all the time, but am kind of worndering if I've got software problems, or does this just not work?

Thanks all.

lasco
09-01-2003, 05:17 AM
I sometimes use special surface buffers and wold like to help
you but am not able to understand your trouble,
due I guess to the fact I don't know that wave filter.

Are you trying to apply a wave filter using the buffer as a kind of an affectation setting ?
There's nothing wrong in the fact that buffers are differently affected
depending on the values you gave them (.5 for one and 1 for the other),
but that's not really your problem is it ?

Can't get itů
maybe if you post some image I'll understand better.

munky
09-01-2003, 11:42 AM
just a thought but why don't you duplicate the coloured lights make em white and switch em to only affect the desaturated objects and get the original coloured set to only affect the background. Then you don't need to muck about with the wave filter (of course it might have got to the I won't let it beat me unless it kills me stage and it's always nice to figure new stuff out) but if you are in a rush this trick might help.

regards

paul

txbob
09-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Lasco: I'm speaking of the Wave Filter Image Image filter that comes with LightWave (PC Only?) It has brightness/contrast etc, a nice blur, some cool edge smoothing, film grain, and what I need... de-saturation!

Munky: I know how to get around by rendering multi pass, but yea, you're righ, it's more of a "just trying to see if anyone else can get it to go..." thing. Awsome idea about the lights... It's just that, you know... this one surface looked exactly right, but just needed to de-saturate a bit. I fiddled with the surface, but nothing was getting it just right.... Wave Filter "should" have been an easy fix....

Is Wave Filter and any affect selection criteria working for anyone?

UnCommonGrafx
09-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Ok,
I was befuddled by this, too, but seem to have figured it out.
You still listening?

Which wavefilter are you using? There were two versions out and about at one time. The one I got to work says "WaveFilter Image - Preliminary L[6] Edition" and it does work with special filters.
Here's how I got it to work:
The object you want affected should have a special buffer set to 1. Then, with "Selected Surfaces" selected it should all work.
The big thing is that the Special buffer and the order in the Effects panel -- these to have to coincide.

Also on this version of the WaveFilter you can set it to come up after the Render to adjust to taste. This was invaluable for figuring this out.
Hope it works for you.

txbob
09-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by UnCommonGrafx
Ok,
I was befuddled by this, too, but seem to have figured it out.
You still listening?

Which wavefilter are you using? There were two versions out and about at one time. The one I got to work says "WaveFilter Image - Preliminary L[6] Edition" and it does work with special filters.
:
:
:

Also on this version of the WaveFilter you can set it to come up after the Render to adjust to taste. This was invaluable for figuring this out.
Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.. I am using a version marked 6.5, and it 1.) doesn't support the buffers, and 2.) doesn't open the post render screen.

I've been using this filter since the amiga days, and never saw that. You can import your own image into the tiny thumb nail.. like that helps alot....

Again thanks for the info, and I'll be on the lookout for the older version.

:D :D :D

Simon
09-02-2003, 03:37 AM
I tried the one that came with 7 & and it doesn't work for me either. The top few options blur/sharpness seem to work fine with the affect tab, but anything further down the list doesn't. Mmmm.

UnCommonGrafx
09-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Yeah,
The WaveFilter guy posted HIS version at some point during the Nasty Times and I snagged it. But, of course, I have no idea what I have on my system now. hehe, it all gets carried over to the next incarnation.

The one I was using had four of them available, i.e., WaveFilter 1, WaveFilter 2, etc.
Here's what I get and the result...This is from a testbed scene someone shared:

p.s... This is gonna be a multi-post post...:rolleyes:
p.s.s That didn't work....

Ok, instead, go here:

WaveFilter Example (http://uncommongrafx.com/WaveFilterEg.htm)
Here, you will see:
- LW during a render
- Adjust panel and WaveFilter Requester that is to the left. Notice the Alpha info in the upper right
- Render in hold mode
- Final Render with only one item affected.

Ok, I'm back to getting focused for work. Later.

WCameron
09-02-2003, 07:01 AM
theres some versions stull up at:

http://www.wavefilter.com/

- Will.

txbob
09-02-2003, 08:52 PM
UncommonGrafx, WCameron.....

You guys rock!

Thanks!