PDA

View Full Version : Constant looping animation.

jgoodwin
10-29-2009, 07:40 PM
We use a Tricaster Studio for a newscast.

Now we had an older switch that we replaced with the tricaster, on our older switch you were allowed to have two overlays at once. What we used to do was have a constant animation sidebar, then a text overlay over that. That way we could have animation within the sidebar and when we switched sidebars the animation wouldn't jump.

What would be the best way to do this within Tricaster?

I have heard trying import my animation layer into a liveset foreground, then don't have a background and use that. I'm not sure if this would work because when I tried making the liveset with my animation the newtek liveset constructor only takes picture files, therefore no animation. Is there something I'm missing here?

Basically what I'm asking is: How can I have a constant looping animation with changing text in Tricaster?

Thanks a lot.

joseburgos
10-29-2009, 08:58 PM
LiveSet will not pass an alpha channel and you are correct, LiveSet Constructor only uses images. That leaves keying via LiveMatte with or without a LiveSet. In other words rendering your animation on a solid color background that is not in the animation and then keying that color out. If you did this and then selected the DDR on the Live bus (with the DDR in loop), anything in the Effects bus would show in the background. Then you could also Overlay on top of that. This leaves you with a TAKE only production via the Effects bus.
A LiveSet could be created using the LW or Aura plug-in that would reverse the bus switch by allowing you to place the DDR with the looping animation in the Effects bus and then switching via the Live bus but you are still in a TAKE only production.
Another way involves having enough inputs to split your device into the TriCaster. Basically taking camera one and placing a splitter on it's output and using one feed to TriCaster Cam 1 and the other to Cam 2 input on the TriCaster. Then enabling the LiveSet on one and not the other. This would allow you to use the Fade transition to switch from Cam 1 to Cam 2 and this would fade on and off the DDR but this is dependent on how many inputs you have to use.

Bill mills or myself could construct a LiveSet to do this for you if you are interested.

Take care,

jgoodwin
10-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Lost me a little bit in there, I think I'm getting the overall message though.

Basically what your saying is have my animation as a liveset ontop of a solid and key out the solid color so that I can have transparency still? or something to that extent? and then if I still wanted a fade feature I would need to split the output of the camera and double up each camera into 2 differnt inputs (which we would actually have the perfect number of slots to do)?

Would that be the best way in your opinion of doing it?

if it helps at all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-H7cp3Fuw is what we are doing, so I'm fine with the TAKE only thing, but would I be able to switch to the other anchor with sidebars on the other side properly?

joseburgos
10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
You got it. The fade feature is for the DDR with the looping animation. The Overlay/DSK is always available and is independent to the switch.
Example;
Setup- Camera 1 output split to TC Cam1 and Cam2 input. DDR has looped clip playing and DDR has Loop enabled. DDR is selected on Effects bus. Input setup has LiveSet and LiveMatte enabled on Cam1 and nothing on Cam2. Overlay has TXT selected with title ready.
Production;
Black on Live is transitioned to Cam2 from Preview. Cam1 is selected on Preview and transitioned again. This time because Cam1 has the LiveSet enabled, the DDR will be included since the shot has the Effects input built in. Now Fade Overlay to have a camera, looping animation and overlay.

As I think you already know, the Overlay/DSK is on top of everything. This means you have to plan where the looping animation is placed on the screen when it is created or move it via the LiveSet when you create it. Guess it matter how large the looping animation is as far as screen space is concerned.

Take care,

jgoodwin
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks a lot for your help, seems like it is going to be a lot more trouble then it was with our old switch where you could just put up two DSK's, but we can expirament with it a little and see if we find it to be worth the trouble or not.

Once again thanks.

jgoodwin
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
not sure if you care or not, but I thought I'd show the begining steps of our animation incase anybody was wanting to see the results of doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qWj1srdu4

We are currently working on a lot more with the bottom bar, but there is the basic concept proven.