PDA

View Full Version : NewTek's site and system: horrible.

zerocrossing
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
OK, today I decided to update my copy of Lightwave 9. Where is the update? Oh! Under "registration." Nice. That makes no sense at all. Took me forever to find it. How about a "log in" link on the main page and a "downloads" link from the user area?

Anyway, I download the 32bit Mac OSX PPC version and it tells me it can't find a license key and there's no registration app in the folder. I click on the help link in documents and I get a nice two pane blank webpage. Awesome. There's a mention about "Note: The 64-bit version of LightWave uses a permanent license key which is different than the key for the 32-bit version. Be sure to enter the necessary Lock IDs in your Registration Account." but there's no place to enter any Lock ID in my registration account and the link I clicked on clearly said, "32 bit."

Come on NewTek. Autodesk is eating your lunch and it's stuff like this that make it possible. I like Lightwave but during times like this I think it's time to give up and move to another app. This is basic customer service 101.

Matt
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Sorry NewTek, but I have to agree, the registration area on the site is in dire need of some lovin'. Every time I go there I have to fill in my Country / language etc. bugs the hellouta me!

The updated LightWave / CORE / TriCaster / Toaster etc. pages were good, just need the rest to follow.

cresshead
10-29-2009, 06:51 PM
we used to have a download page once upon a time...

have to say the whole process of geting updates is abit like going to the dentist...you know you need to do it but it's going to be painful!

hrgiger
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I dont' have any problems but I guess I'm just used to it by now. Admittedly, it could be better.

JonW
10-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, its like trying to find a needle in a haystack & you can’t even find the haystack.

Once you have been there its not too bad, but thats not the point, mind you, with age I have to think about where to look, it would be better to have a bleedingly obvious link.

Its definitely not a good look & wastes everyone's time trying to find it.

Oedo 808
10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Sorry NewTek, but I have to agree, the registration area on the site is in dire need of some lovin'. Every time I go there I have to fill in my Country / language etc. bugs the hellouta me!

You select Customer Care\Registration from the forums to get to the Registration page, then on the Registration page you select Customer Care\Registration to skip passed those questions.

I mean honestly Matt, how much more intuitive could it be? :D

Matt
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
You select Customer Care\Registration from the forums to get to the Registration page, then on the Registration page you select Customer Care\Registration to skip passed those questions.

I mean honestly Matt, how much more intuitive could it be? :D

Oh of course, that makes perfect sense, what a fool I have been!

:D

erikals
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
true, it could be a bit better.

ingo
10-30-2009, 02:48 AM
OK, today I decided to update my copy of Lightwave 9. Where is the update? Oh! Under "registration." Nice. That makes no sense at all. Took me forever to find it. How about a "log in" link on the main page and a "downloads" link from the user area?

Anyway, I download the 32bit Mac OSX PPC version and it tells me it can't find a license key and there's no registration app in the folder. I click on the help link in documents and I get a nice two pane blank webpage. Awesome. There's a mention about "Note: The 64-bit version of LightWave uses a permanent license key which is different than the key for the 32-bit version. Be sure to enter the necessary Lock IDs in your Registration Account." but there's no place to enter any Lock ID in my registration account and the link I clicked on clearly said, "32 bit."

Come on NewTek. Autodesk is eating your lunch and it's stuff like this that make it possible. I like Lightwave but during times like this I think it's time to give up and move to another app. This is basic customer service 101.

If you are already complaining about this just wait until you want to access that Core thingy ........ :goodluck:

Chuck
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM

MIS is planning an overhaul for Registration in the future.

The "My Products" page is not where you register products, it's where you can refer to the data about the products you have already registered. To register a product go to the "My Home" page and use the Product Registration product list dropdown and the Register Now button. If you have the serial number handy, you should be able to enter it and add new platforms and Lock IDs to your requested keys, if only 32-bit is regitered for you currently. After that, those platforms, Lock IDs, and the license keys for each will also appear on the "My Products" listing.

erikals
10-31-2009, 03:48 AM
If you are already complaining about this just wait until you want to access that Core thingy ........ :goodluck:

yes, absolutely, that should be fixed as well.