PDA

View Full Version : Help! noob alert

ninjajok
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
:help:
Basically i used lightwave to create a 3d model of my graphics project last year and i have completely forgotten everything! And now i have to create a model for this years...
I have attached the orthographic so you guys can see the shapes i need, if you could just mention the tools i need or the order in which i need to make it it would be great. I realise its a very basic shape so im sure it wont be too hard to explain.
Thanks in advance.

Sensei
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Use Create > Box tool, then select left edge, and press l to Construct > Connect tool - it will split them, then do the same with right pair. Then offset them a bit in left and right. Alternatively you can add points using Create > Points tool, then make polygon from it by pressing p, then Multiply > Extrude or Extend..

Myagi
10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
There are many ways to get to the same result :) One would be if you make a single poly with the shape of the base first. Using the Pen tool for example. Then you can Bevel it to get the volumetric body.

This would leave the base end open, so you''d have to either keep a copy of the original poly (flipped) or create a new one.

I'm not sure exactly what the rectangle in the middle is, if it's just like a "label" or a hole. Both could be done with one of the boolean/sold drill operations and a box in another layer.

ninjajok
10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
There are many ways to get to the same result :) One would be if you make a single poly with the shape of the base first. Using the Pen tool for example. Then you can Bevel it to get the volumetric body.

This would leave the base end open, so you''d have to either keep a copy of the original poly (flipped) or create a new one.

I'm not sure exactly what the rectangle in the middle is, if it's just like a "label" or a hole. Both could be done with one of the boolean/sold drill operations and a box in another layer.
the rectangle in the middle would be a built in screen haha, how would i make this separate? as it needs to be flat along the surface.

Myagi
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Depeds if you want the screen poly to be "merged" into the model, or you just want to "tack on" another poly. To get it merged into it, I personally find the easiest solution to use Solid Drill - Slice, allthough that requires knowledge of working with layers and how boolean/sold drill works.

For that you just have make a box in another layer, make the box at the right positon (you can select your original layer as a BG layer so you can see where to place it) but make the box stick through the entire shape. The box will be used to "cut" through the polys of your model. When that's done select your original model layer as FG, and the box as BG, then use Solid Drill (in the Construct panel) and use the Slice operation.

If you just want to tack on a flat poly (which may cause Z-fighting or other rendering issues, depending on how you will use it), you can just use the box tool to create a flat recangle, and then move it into place.

ninjajok
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Ok thanks you both for the help i will have a go soon, the cutting business is coming back to me :) although for the most part i am still lost in the interface ha

ninjajok
10-29-2009, 02:02 PM
using the bevel tool, does that just make 2d sides around the pen shape i have drawn? do i not need to use extrude?
The screen part really is not working, so do you think creating a UV map is a better idea for the details? If so, is photoshop the best program to use?

Myagi
10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
They have some similarties, Extrude will work too and save you from the missing poly. But for the second segment at the top of the main body, Bevel would be more suitable, unless you use the Knife tool to make the segment afterwards.

I just use the Bevel tool most of the time myself so I ended up suggesting that. You can do both (or all three) with bevel, if you drag horizontally and/or vertically it will extrude and/or epxand/contract. A tip would be to hold the ctrl key while you drag the mouse along one axis, that locks the operation to either extrude or "expand/contract".

A texture would work too if it suits your needs. Can pretty much be done in any image editor you want.