PDA

View Full Version : What would I need to Render "other peoples work" Online ..hence OnlineRender

OnlineRender
10-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Buisness Proposal :
Core Concept :

One of the main reasons I grabbed onlinerender in most web formats YT .com Facebook and so on was to have a buisness that rendered work over the internet "another crazy take over the world,Pinky ideas but "............for example .

PC USER ]]]]]]]]] not enough time to render all scene files .

Uploads .lwo .obj and image maps to www.online(under-con)render.com and we do the work and make it avilable online for download, AVI or whatever .

"I've been over thinking about it ,and would like to hear your views ",since your my TARGET AUDIENCE :D

Whats would be the scope of the project ?
Audience
Cost
would you use a service of this nature ?

software ,Law & tech issues ,that kind of thing .........

I know you should keep your cards tight sometimes but the offers on the table ! if your interested ?

MY ball park figure came to 200,000 :( But research show's you can do it for 50K )

Im talking uber machines ,networking speed, the whole shinnzle :D

The question remains " why would you use this service ?"
Peace !

geo_n
10-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Isn't this a rendernetwork service?
I've received lots of emails from different companies offering this kind of service. The best price is from China. No need to guess why.
If you can have a network service using the most popular software and less cost, fast turnover, I'm guessing that would be competitive.

archijam
10-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Best research is looking at the services out there.

Come back with your first assumptions and findings, then we can help you with uneducated speculation :)

cresshead
10-29-2009, 04:57 AM
what renderers do you want to cover?

is it just a rendering service that basically uses YOUR cpu time on your render farm that the user pays for...he/she just uploads the lightwave scene, max scene that's been setup to just hit F10 and wait for the images files to be created?

you'll still need to load up each scene and re direct them to your render folder and once done the client can gain access to that folder to download the images sequence.

so basics:

you'll need el blanco installs of lightwave, 3dsmax etc
plus installs that have some plugins/scripts

with lightwave you'd need alternate installs for lw 7, 8, 9 and 9.6 and basic and plugin versions...
you might also need fprime and kray

with 3dsmax if you offer that you may need alternate renderers such as vray, brazil, final render

other things you may look into would be a generic lighting studio that you can drop in models for people to have rendered out...maybe a zbrush model dropped into a lightwave studio scene for a nice render..

lots to think about and setup i think!
also you may need to setup a email tracking system where a client gets sent an email once the renders have completed and also if frames fail you'll need to pick up those frames.

image file formats will probably be png and tga/tiff as they are lossless and have alphas.

biliousfrog
10-29-2009, 05:04 AM
I've looked into it before for very large/short turn-around projects but generally I'll just spend the cash on some new hardware....1000 to render a project or 1000 to buy some new render hardware for myself?

RenderCore seems like one of the more organized net-rendering companies, upload from desktop application, 24hr MSN support, simple payment plans. It's still money down the drain though unless you really need very heavy renders done in a short time.

There's also the issue of transferring the rendered files. I average 2mb here, I wouldn't want to download several thousand EXR's...I could probably render the frames in the time it would take to download them.

JonW
10-29-2009, 06:09 AM
The hardware will be out dated very quickly. I bought two identical boxes 7 months apart, the second one was 30% cheaper.

If I got a job tomorrow that needed more horse power. I’d honestly just go & buy half a dozen boxes & have them ready in a day or so.

The benefits for me is not the hardware, its having the rending power on tap the very instant I’m ready to go.

Re-rendering stuff-ups & the inevitable last minute changes, & it impresses customers when they see a stack of computers & they are running off 100 % green electricity. I also have a very large UPS that has saved me so many times its not funny.

I just can’t see any money to be made in CPU horse power. 24 hour supervision, security - hardware, software, viruses & all the administration.

You just can’t compete with 24 hour slave labour. You would be better to do something else that adds value to the product that is more difficult for other people to do.

cresshead
10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
i believe render companies are low profit, large thruput
i'd say it's a struggle...but then again i'm not doing it so it's just speculation on my part!

oobievision
10-29-2009, 08:12 AM
most render farms usually do good locally. as its easier to pick up and and drop off files with out having to upload/download. though im not sure how that would work over the net as I have never used one that wasn't local.

OnlineRender
10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
So in short " It's a bad Idea " , as I said earlier it was just one of the mady pinky & the brain moments --("}-{")--

radams
10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi OnlineRender,

Hope you and the family are doing good :)

As for your brain rush...and desire.

This kind of business takes big pockets to start...has a higher than expected overhead. With the economy a lower than desired return. A lot of mine fields of problems and issues await you as well.

This isn't the first time this idea or concepts have been thought of...there are several services that are out there.

But from my experience...the orignal companies that started this concept are no longer in business...and they started when hardware and software (and render times) were even larger and longer...which they could more easily leverage...

There just wasn't a huge need or cash flow. And that was working with Maya (alias), softimage, Lightwave, etc... for renderers.

As for a strickly Lightwave online rendering...well there is even less market out there...most of us LWers...are a more do it yourselfers (and generalists)...limited budgets more than time...and tweak out as much locally as we can.

It doesn't mean there isn't a need for it...just that it isn't as large as you might wish or expect....

I know several who will add $$$ to their budget...buy 10 or more of the latest and greatest computer systems...then after the project will sell off the systems....then the next big project do the same thing...then they don't keep old technology and leverage the technology they do have.

When you have a locked in renderfarm...you are locked in to that technology and if you can't leverage it over 1 - 2 years...you're losing money.

Don't want to burst your bubble...but these are some realities that this kind of business brings.

Along with that, there are legal issues...if a render is incomplete, not done in time, or has a bad quality...who's responsible....how can customers monitor and get materials to and from...with security, etc.

I wish you good luck and success in what ever your endevors are!

Cheers,

geo_n
11-07-2009, 07:56 PM
This has been posted by Jure at kray
http://www.rebusfarm.com/
It supports kray and I'm going to try their 10euro free campaign.
There's a plugin you can install that will compile and send the scene for you so they can render it in their farm automatically. You can see the images being rendered and finally it will save on your local directory.