10-28-2009, 08:01 AM
I found this rather interesting. :king:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NzDXHMwUoE

OnlineRender
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
going to be huge cg works da bomb

borkus
10-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Too bad the movie itself is going to suck. Don't get me wrong, I'll end up going to see it. Can't pass up the chance to see that much destruction in a two hour sitting... But, I just wish that they would look at it and say, "Well, we have all this. Maybe we should put a good story to it as well". Money-monger chimes in, "**** that. That will cost money. The people will still watch it as is. Why waste the money...?". And, the sad part is that they are right on the money with a scary proportion of people...

LazyCoder
10-29-2009, 06:38 PM
I love Roland Emmerich movies. It seems like every one of his big movies has awesome effects and a weak story, but that doesn't bother me.

It doesn't matter how good of a story you could have, nothing could ever really justify that much destruction in a movie, so I accept that.

I only go to those movies for the awesome effects. I have Independence Day on DVD and I've watched the main destruction scene hundreds of times, and it doesn't get old for me.

Basically, his movies are great for visuals, but don't expect a great story because that's not what the movie was made for. They're purely for entertainment, and I don't mind that a bit.

EDIT: @borkus, so these insane special effects aren't expensive, but a good story is?

crashnburn
10-30-2009, 05:40 AM
I agree, you watch a film for what it is. There's no hype around the story, the hype is behind the effects in the film. We have the power to chose. If we wanna watch it we do, if don't wanna watch it we don't. It wont be the only film released this year lol.

As long as you watch a film for what it is,knowing what it, especially with Roland Emmerich involved, there shouldn't be a problem.

If the special effects turn out to be crap......that's a different matter :)

probiner
10-30-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't know the movie, if it sucks or not but its funny to quote the guy from the video:

"What you have in the end, is a fully computer generated, piece of..." :D

crashnburn
10-30-2009, 06:48 AM
raofl :D

LazyCoder
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
uh... he said "Film" not... something else... But really, when I watched the trailer, I had absolutely no idea that any of that was CGI (apart from the obvious of course).

The Dommo
11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm going to see the movie just for the effects - that quality is just astounding

realgray
11-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Here's another 2012 vfx video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNRPMXIwj2Y&feature=channel

at 1:52 it shows 3ds Max with what looks like a fluid solver (they were talking about the tidal waves) does Max have a fluid solver I don't know about or do you think its fumefx? Also, is that Fusion next to it? Just thought it would be interesting to know.

digefxgrp
11-01-2009, 10:32 PM
I expect it to be nothing more than a 2 hour long "demo reel". If there happens to be a story along with that...cool.

LazyCoder
11-02-2009, 12:14 AM
I expect it to be nothing more than a 2 hour long "demo reel". If there happens to be a story along with that...cool.

That's what I'm gonna see it for! :D What I don't get is people who say "ah, I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD"... really? This is the type of movie that you NEED to see in the theaters, unless you just have an awesome basement.