PDA

View Full Version : Edge Bleed in baked maps?

Revanto
10-28-2009, 05:30 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to get some sort of edge bleed when baking colour maps using the surface baking camera. I want to be able to have pixel blending on for the resulting map and NOT have black around the edges.

Anyone know how to do this?

Cheers,
Revanto :P

zardoz
10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
hmmm, that's a good question since the bleeding that lightwave provides is really bad.
For some time I've been also looking for some way of doing it in photoshop, but couldn't find any.

Myagi
10-28-2009, 07:38 AM
keep in mind I haven't used the surface baking camera, but isn't that what "UV Border" is for?

Revanto
10-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I just found it and it solved my problem. However, Zardoz brought up a good point in regards to dealing with edge bleed in Photoshop. I could probably come up with a pseudo solution in Photoshop but only if the UV border pixels are not anti-aliased. It's just a matter of making an action that will handle all the right steps.

Thanks anyway, Myagi.

Cheers,
Revanto :P

GraphXs
10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
It's not the end all solution, but in Photoshop I copy the layer and Gaussian Blur it then keep copy/pasting the layer to make the pixels more visible.

zardoz
10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
graphx, I just tried and it's really good. Not perfect, but good and in certain situations solves it perfectly.
tx for sharing

probiner
10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Well if it is for not perfect solutions i prefer to use Effects>More>Minimum in a Texture Map with empty space as Transparecy (i.e. saved as something like PNG32 in LW).
Just put a duplicate in the Background and to kill the AntiAliasing in the Alpha (if it has), Ctrl+click in the layer sample over Layers Panel to load the selection, go to QuickMask and apply Image>Adjustments>Threshold, Exit Mask, Invert Selection, Delete, and then Minimum :tongue:

You can apply values like 1 or 2 , more than that the axis in wich the effect is applyed start to show up badly. You can always apply the Gausian blur Layers over this, but you will need much less layers.

Cheers

GraphXs
10-29-2009, 08:47 AM
No Problem!:thumbsup: Hey, It feels good to help someone!:D

djlithium
11-01-2009, 03:51 PM
If you are ever concerned about what you are going to get with the surface baking camera, you should know that it works very well with Fprime! :) Give it a worley and see what you get!