PDA

View Full Version : recent sci fi offerings...

cresshead
10-26-2009, 06:03 PM
so...
moon..
was okay..now 'wow' but okay for sure

stargate universe?...
well it's 'ish' i don't care much for the bandwagoning from avatar with teh comm stones..i'm hoping it doesn't become a monster/obstcle of the week and we get a full decent story arc...i'll stick with it for that hope..

defiying gravity
seems a usa version of the bbc 6 parter and even seems to use the same cg/practicle props...the story however is truly out of this world..and not a good thing..the characters are simply silly for the most part..i'll have a hard time to justify continuing to watch it...but i probably will just to se some of the fx...the character story 'stinks' though.

the bbc's survivors season 2 is due up soon
i'm looking forward to this...i'm a big fan of the 70's version and the new 'pc' version was okay though not as gritty and realistic as the 70's show..i'm hoping the bbc take note of saeon 1 and up the action abit.

Mike_RB
10-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a buddy working in SG:U. He's just happy that it's 'darker' and somewhat more watchable. :) I've been following it and it's been 'ok'.

shrox
10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I was surprised by SGU, I like it. SG1 is just too cute at times.

Shnoze Shmon
10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I loved SG Atlantis. SGU has the potential to be that much and more. Can only hope.

Jockomo
10-26-2009, 07:50 PM
We did a SyFi original movie that aired last week called Wolvesbayne.
The 3d work in that was done in lightwave. I did much of the end sequence where the vamp queen gets sucked through the roof.

colkai
10-27-2009, 03:58 AM
I gave up watching SG:U last week, just doesn't do it for me, I see it more as SG:BSG same iffy camerawork, same morbid characters and perpetual agruments, not my thing.

I'm more light-hearted in my TV, I get enough 'grittyness' in my daily life, don't need to see it for "relaxation". ;)

I was a sucker for SG:1, the banter etc, not to mention Amanda Tapping of course, thankfully I can watch Sanctuary for my fix of that little joy. :)

bugzilla
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Have to disagree on Moon. I thought it was fantastic. A "they don't make 'em like that anymore" throwback to the scifi films of the 70s that made you think about moral issues. Sam Rockwell deserves best Oscar nomination.

I haven't really paid any attention to any of the scifi shows on TV other than SW:Clone Wars and Lost so I can't review them. I am looking forward to "V" though.

crashnburn
10-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Moon was pretty good. A bit different to the norm.

Defying Gravity is ok, but I'm just finding it's pace to be very sssttteeeeaaaaaddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyy. Like they came up with and idea, sent em off in to space and thought 'oops, we have to write more? I thought that was it'.

I love the original stargate film, but just can't get into the series at all.
And Battlestar Galactica, a female Starbuck, what happened there? Although I do need to give watchiong that a try. I think that maybe Stargate put me off watching BSG. It may seem like I'm abit behind on these series but I just can't bring myself to watch series created from films, I love my films too much. :)

crashnburn
10-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Hi bugzilla, what's happening with 'V', a remake or another follow on series?

cresshead
10-27-2009, 09:48 AM
looking at a 'V' fan right here...hope they don't mess with it too much...i have 80's V on dvd and really liked diana's 'shape'!

Red_Oddity
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I liked all incarnations of Stargate, SG:U is nice, I really liked the last episode. Though i must admit i miss the silliness of SG:A's stories and of course Rodney McKay.
I liked Defying Gravity, though it was often too improbable and often tried to explain stuff that didn't need explaining (the gravity on the ship for example), but discussing that show is pretty much moot seeing it is canceled.
Moon didn't premiere yet, so i can't comment on that.
Haven't seen District 9 yet, so can't comment on that one.
Same for Avatar.
Star Trek by J.J. Abrams was a lot more fun than i first would have thought. Watched it 3 times now, so that's got to count for something, atleast it was much much better than the heavily overrated Cloverfield.
I don't even dare to watch Surrogates, even the trailer screamed 'mediocre'.
Richard Kelly's The Box i'm probably going to watch, loved Donnie Darko and Southland Tales (heavily underrated flick in my opinion)
The Road, don't know yet, it has a certain seen it done it feel.
The Book of Eli, the trailer looks okay, the fight choreography looks terrible though.
Franklyn was a pleasant surprise, absolutely not what i was expecting.
Daybreakers, feels like a mix between Underworld and 28 Days Later, probably going to entertain me anyway.
Predators is probably going to suck big balls.
Pandorum looks interresting, probably going to see it.
Splice might be entertaining, from the first footage i saw, though the main characters look like brainless morons even though they are supposed to be scientists.

CC Rider
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Had to abandon SG:U last episode...just wasn't doing it for me.
I like Atlantis a lot. The new show just doesn't feel like a Stargate show to me. I didn't feel that it needed a "re-imaging" type of makeover.
Liked BSG a lot, but to me, SG:U doesn't fit that style at all.
The fun has been completely drained.

Looking forward to V though...

CC Rider
10-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Yep that's right...already got the DVR set-up.

:D