PDA

View Full Version : change rotation on pivot points

3D girl
10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to change the rotation on a pivot point. Under the "modify" tab I select rotate pivot. The pivot won't stay in the new position. It always reverts back to it's opriginal position. I've tried keyframing...nothing....
what am I doing wrong?
thanks!:

Dodgy
10-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Works for me. What item type are you trying to adjust the pivot of?

SplineGod
10-26-2009, 07:22 PM
You can also try parenting the object to a null and using the null as your pivot point.

Mr Rid
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah I always got weird results trying to rotate pivot, and could not tell if it was a bug or it was picky about something or other.

Depending on your situation, you may want to use Parent in Place to parent the item to a null at a specific position, as SG suggested.

jasonwestmas
01-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Is it just me or does an object's pivot point not respect local space of the geometry. The pivots only seem to respect world space. Any way to change that other than using a null?

Mr Rid
01-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Is it just me or does an object's pivot point not respect local space of the geometry. The pivots only seem to respect world space. Any way to change that other than using a null?

Under 'coord system' you may switch to 'local' for the scene. Otherwise you need a null.

jasonwestmas
01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Under 'coord system' you may switch to 'local' for the scene. Otherwise you need a null.

Yeah it's weird, in 9.6 and 10 I think, I change the coord system to local and the object's pivot just stays in world mode. Of course parenting the object to a null works ok though, just another step I wouldn't want to have to deal with for larger scenes.