PDA

View Full Version : Forest Island

yaschan
10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
This is my first environmental modeling attempt. I used HD Instance 2 for mac to distribute trees & rocks. Render time is about 15 minutes / frame.
I didn't get rock surface right, and I wanted to add more plants etc, but the scene was becoming render heavy and I just wanted to get this done.

Amurrell
10-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Put a displacement on the water and it would look really good. As it stands now, you've done really well.

adrian
11-11-2009, 05:58 AM
The grass looks really good but as already said, you need to displace the water.

How did you do the trees? Import from Vue, Xfrog? Clip maps?

yaschan
11-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Thank you for replies. I will try the water displacement. The grass is just a texture map I created.
Trees are 200k poly trees from Turbosquid, some of Xfrog's ones. I actually bought two series of trees. I will work more with this and put more various kinds of trees there.

adrian
11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Hmmm, as the trees are so far in the distance, why use such high poly ones? Seems an ideal situation to use clip map ones (unless of course you're planning a fly-over/thru scene).

yaschan
11-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Here are two more renders.

probiner
11-19-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry i don't have nothing technicaly constructive to say, in order you improve it, wich it can be.

But just wanted to say that i like the ambience. Some clouds or a mist would do great i think.

Cheers

3DGFXStudios
11-25-2009, 03:14 AM
I like the ambiance!
Maybe this helps to get more realism.
In the first one I'm not missing the displacement in the water so much but I think you need more variation in the grass. And all the trees look the same. In the second one the lake or sea seems to stop in the distance. Stones need a bit of dirt too.