PDA

View Full Version : Will the ATI Radeon HD 4870 give me any performance boost?

OlaHaldor
10-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm struggling through a project here with loads of points and polygons. Is it all just down to CPU power, or will the GPU do its part as well?

Currently the default GeForce 8800GT is installed. But I've come to think that an upgrade might do a tiny bit of magic ?

OlaHaldor
10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I should've mentioned it.. I'm talking about Modeler. I have a few models here with loads of details. I've got them in IGES file format, recently bought a seat of Moi3D to convert them to LWO, and I can convert in any detail level I want, so I'll be exporting in low and high res to save polygons wherever I can by combining the two models which means loads of selecting, cutting and pasting.

The PC with the GTX 275 is a Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, so it's not really comparable to a beast of a Mac Pro with two Quad XEON 2.8GHZ CPUs.

JonW
10-27-2009, 06:17 AM
GPUs don’t make rendering any faster (& its best to take them out of the boxes on render nodes). A good card will only redraw the screen faster with a large quantity of polys. LW only uses 1 core for everything other than rendering. So for tasks other than rendering. A Velociraptor or SSD will speed things up together with an over clocked CPU with one of its cores screaming like the new i7.

In Layout if you have any of the view ports displaying other than “bounding box” LW can very easily swallow up gigabytes of ram. In this case change view ports to bounding boxes, save & restart Layout to clear the ram. This is also good to do when you are ready to render. When using view ports other than bounding box try to keep to a minimum, one with textures & one with wire frames. don’t go through the whole gamut of changing every port to textures then wire frames etc, or you ram situation will be stuffed.

Stacks of CPUs &/or cores only comes into play for rendering.

DrStrik9
10-28-2009, 12:33 AM
On a single Intel quad core Xeon Mac Pro (2008), I went from an ATI Radeon HD 2600 to an ATI Radeon HD 4870, driving an Apple 30" Cinema Display, and I experienced NO perceivable increase in performance. What I did appreciate about the newer more capable monitor card was an absence of OGL errors, which had frustrated me about the 2600. Other than that ... meh.

OlaHaldor
10-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Allright. Thank you for your input guys. Guess I'll have to settle for CORE to take care of the rest, whenever it comes.. IF I'm getting it..

OlaHaldor
01-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Just gotta update and say, the performance issue I had was related to "Legacy OpenGL". I had enabled it for some reason, so loading and working with 100k+ polygons was a headache big time. So now I'm thinking: "shoot, should I maybe convert the STEP and IGES files in better quality and don't give a rats *** about the amount of polygons?"

One model file took about 1 to 2 hours to convert. Long wait for the Mac to calculate import -> scale -> export in Moi 3D under Windows through Boot Camp. Hmm...

Would you guys go crazy if you had one LWO with about 600k+ polygons ? It's probably going to be the only thing in the scene, worst case: all of the 11 modeles are gonna be rendered together.

caesar
01-11-2010, 04:02 PM
all of the 11 modeles are gonna be rendered together.

They need to? No composition at all? Do you know Virtual Render (http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-ins/VirtualRender) or Janus (http://janus.faulknermano.com/)???
Maybe they can help you...and be sure to use LW 64!

OlaHaldor
01-12-2010, 12:50 AM
FPrime won't run with LW x64, so I won't use it until it does.

And yes, I need to render all the models in one go, due to camera motion and lighting. I'm no crazy compositor, so I prefer doing it the way I know how to, rather than spend a month without pay to figure out how. :)

Also, the mentioned plug-ins seems to run on Windows only??