PDA

View Full Version : Gear tool problem

czesiu
08-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi,

I have got problem when creating a Gear.
Actualy I found it impossible to create some special gear shapes.
See GearPic.

On GearPic in black frame there are another Gear shapes which I could not create with the Gear tool.
Above that I found that it is impossible to apply the SubPatch Tool
on a Gear.
On GearPic there are two gears the yellow one is not edited with any tool.
The red one is after applying the SubPatch tool.

I tried with deleting the both sides of a gear and then selected all point on one side at a time and used the Tool Create - Elements - Make Pol. But the result was the same as on the red Gear.

Does anybody know how to create other Gear shapes?
I would appreciate it.
However I am not looking for a manual shaping of a Gear this is to hard to make by hand.

Cheers
Pawel :confused:

UnCommonGrafx
08-30-2003, 04:36 PM
My question is simple: why are you trying to subpatch the gears? For me it would seem obvious not to

do that for such an object as it's not really designed to be a subpatched item.

But as I've done similar things, I'll share my understanding of the situation.

LW wants polygons intended for subpatching to be 4 point polys, optimally, but will accept three point polys, as well.

Do you have a manual to glean some of this from? This question truly deserves a rtfm reply.

Anyhow, that big poly WILL NOT work based on the description in the manual. Look at chapter 29 in the manual for more info on Subpatches.
Connecting it yourself might be a great lesson for you to undertake.

czesiu
08-31-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi Robert,

Although you have answered fast to my mail, thanks for tht, but your answer is not helping me.
I know what SubPatch is and hot it works.

Therefore I repeat:

How can I create the Gear with another custom shape than the, as shown o GearPic3

If you still insist to know why I want to SubPatch a Gear, the answer is very simple. Why not. Maybe I just want to have roundsided gear for ome reason.

Cheers
Pawel C:confused:

evenflcw
08-31-2003, 05:22 AM
I must agree with UnCommonGrafx. Although it could be usefull, just like a "Make Cool" tool could be usefull, this is sort of a silly request to me.

It is however a good point to make that LW could have more options for making things work better under SubDs. Like for example the edges of boxes should be changed to an all-quads solution, just as someone has already requested. Gears however I feel are to specific and they can easily be created manually.

If you want to be able to subpatch a standard gear easily and quickly, bevel the large faces once (or more) and then set their (points) subpatch weight to 100%. This clever little trick was revealed about 6 month ago and works great for situations such as this (big flat nGons). See attachment for example.

If you want a custom gear you can build one quite easily by creating one cog and using radial array.

Things could perhaps always be created faster with automated tools but imho it is silly to think that we should have a tool for every type of object that can handle every type of situation/request. Better then that we get more powerfull less specific tools that could aid in situation such as this.

czesiu
08-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Hi evenflcw,

I am not at all agree with you.
Actualy I have used Gear creation tool in the past.
In Aladdin 4D the Gear creating tool was integrated in the Arc tool. Arc is equivalent to the Disc tool in LW.

However in the Numeric Window there is more parameters to choose from, se enclosed picture AladdinGear1.

Those parameters correspond to create different shapes of the circular shapes like; ordinary Circles, Gears, Stars, Circel-Saw blades, etc.

As you can see it is not even necessary to have a special tool to create Gear.
As I mentioned in my earlier meil to forum. The only thing that needs to make is to make the Numeric Window to more flexible and more extensive.

Cheers
Pawel C

UnCommonGrafx
08-31-2003, 08:09 AM
But Pawel,
That example doesn't have anything to do with subpatching and that's the issue I was dealing with mostly. There are ways to do what you want without NewTek having to add more things. That you don't want to spend the time on this endeavor seems to be the new issue.

EvenFlcw reinforced some things I had learned and actually gave you all you needed to accomplish your stated goal: making subpatched gears. And yet you disagree...? Try what he suggests and let us know if it worked for you. We've all spent enough time here for you to have done a few gears already. :D

czesiu
08-31-2003, 08:20 AM
Well Robert,
Subpatching was for me the way to get as close gear shape to the shape I need.
However the real way to get different gear shapes need more, like more radii than two and by simple changing radii you can decide what dimensions and what shape your Arc - Gear will have.

This is no a new issue as you write his is just describing the way to get the tool that ould work.

Cheers
Pawel C

Mylenium
08-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Maybe the gear tool could be integrated into the disc tool to make it work interactively, but it's not top priority (It started out as an LScript back in LW 5). Actually it is much more efficient to use a different approach when modelling gears (real gears that make sense in a technical way, not just as decoration) so the Gear tool is not really a time saver.

Mylenium

koryhz
09-02-2003, 03:38 PM
try using a radial array of the shapes you want.

czesiu
09-02-2003, 03:50 PM
to koryhz,

Will try, thanks for the tip.

Cheers
Pawel C

BeeVee
09-03-2003, 07:56 AM
If you really want to use the disc tool you can. Or even the ball tool as long as you only draw it out in two dimensions. Make sure it has enough sides for your gear (if you want a square toothed gear with 16 notches, then you will need 64 sides). Draw out your circle using CTRL to make sure it is circular. Select every two out of four points, make sure that the mode is set to Action Center:Selection, select the size tool and move the points in or out. You've got a flat gear. If you want to make a circular saw do the same thing but take every third point and move it in, then every point directly after that and move it in slightly so that you get a nice curve. Now you can extrude or bevel your gear as you like to create the cross sections you have shown. As for subpatching, use the subpatch weight method already discussed to get a smooth edge to your gear, if you want it.

Another hint, using the middle mouse button will add to a selection without having to hold down shift.

B