PDA

View Full Version : Select Intersecting Polygons

dandeentremont
10-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Maybe it's the sleep deprivation, but as I work on modeling this machine, I had a weird idea.

Say I have a big piece of the machine with many bolts and pipes and stuff. If I wanted to move that piece somewhere else, I would have to select every separate bolt and pipe, which can become very time consuming. Sometimes I get around this by connecting all the pieces with 2 point polygons. The problem with that (besides also being time consuming) is that I often have to kill off 2 point polys that are hidden in geometry after a merge.

So my idea is, what if there was a selection option that could select polygons that are intersecting? I don't know of any software that does this, but i think it would be pretty cool to have.

Dionysios
11-05-2009, 05:21 AM
You know, I've been thinking about the same thing. I wish there was some way to select intersecting or hidden geometry (I do a lot of modeling with biological proteins that are just a cluster of spheres, but not all the polygons of each sphere are visible. It would be nice to be able to delete those). Or as a way to quickly make sure that no polygons are intersecting.