PDA

View Full Version : Core

Eroneouse
10-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I sent an email off to CS a couple of days ago about getting access to Core which comes along with my purchase of LW9.6. I am not too fussed at the moment about leaping into Core immediately as I am still getting my head round lightwave itself so this is not a whinge please hurry up post :)

The main point I want to get cleared up is that my Core subscription will not begin untill I download it, at least thats the impression I get from the scarce information I have found thus far, is this correct please can an official confirm this for me IE If I do not DL Core for 3 or 4 months then that will not waste 3 or 4 months of the 12 month free access will it ?

Kuzey
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
That's the first I heard of that but I'm not in the Core.

Usually the Core subscription or any subscriptions for that matter start when you payed for the product...not when you download it.

Kuzey

Eroneouse
10-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I was just going off whats said by newtek here... http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/

Just under the pages title it says " Join the HardCore " in red the second point is what leads me to believe that the subscription to Core itself starts timeing down from the point a person gets the first build on their machine < delivered rather, and I assume that delivery can be digital DL, > or am I misunderstanding it. The second point being... Membership begins immediately, and will be valid for one year after delivery of first LightWave CORE build.

So if I have it right then thats great as it will give me time to learn lightwave as it currently is, which will help a lot in regards to seeing what CORE is and how it differs. If I have got it wrong then I will likely miss out on this CORE thing as I will be devoting time to lightwave which is where I hope an income will come from eventually.

cagey5
10-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Eroneose. Your Core membership will have already started. The quote you mention arose because Core wasn't available immediately after the launch, so people had signed up and paid but didn't have anything to play with. The mention of 'delivery of first Core build' was confirmation that early adopters wouldn't have their clock ticking until after that initial release was generally available.

As yours is available to you. Your clock is ticking.

I'm fairly confident that is correct but by all means seek verification from Newtek direct.

Kuzey
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Membership begins immediately, and will be valid for one year after delivery of first LightWave CORE build

The first build has come and gone...that was back in April. It was the first public build....not the one you download at a given time.

Now, Newtek might be getting into difficulties with the "one year thing", they haven't explained that one too well. People who join Core today, should in theory get a one year subscription. That means the gold release of Core1 at the end of 4Q this year and access the the beta of Core2....but not the gold release, because subscription runs out before then??????

Should be interesting to see what happens...I'm sure Jay or Chuck will jump in soon.

Kuzey

Eroneouse
10-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Cagey5 and Kuzey I understand what you are saying and it makes sense too in that context and yes I hope an official jumps in soon to clarify because if the clocks ticking down then CS are keeping me waiting by not replying to my query. Though as I say it wont be a huge issue anyway as I have to devote my time to learning LW9.6 as is. Thanks for the responses thus far :thumbsup:

Eroneouse
10-26-2009, 07:58 AM
I think its still early ish morning in the USA atm. I did not expect much of an official answer over the weekend but hopefully now Mondays here I will see an official answer to my original question about the timeing and with any luck I will get an email answer from Customer Services about how to go about joining CORE.

Eroneouse
11-02-2009, 09:32 AM
All fixed by Customer Services Thanks muchly for the help :thumbsup:

hrgiger
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Now, Newtek might be getting into difficulties with the "one year thing", they haven't explained that one too well. People who join Core today, should in theory get a one year subscription. That means the gold release of Core1 at the end of 4Q this year and access the the beta of Core2....but not the gold release, because subscription runs out before then??????

I think we're actually still waiting for an answer to this one. The last I heard, Chuck was going to check on it and get back to us. In theory, our memberships started in April when the first build of CORE that was available on all platforms was released (the one released on March 31st didn't apply because there was no Linux version yet) and should end in April 2010. Going by that, I would assume that if CORE 1.0 is released at the end of this year, we'll have 3 or 4 months beta into CORE 2.0 before we have to renew our memberships. I know that you are guaranteed a release version of the software for each membership you purchase. So, if somone buys now, they'll get CORE 1.0, be in CORE 2 beta until next November and would not receive CORE 2, even if it's released a day after your membership ends next year. If you wanted CORE 2, you would either have to buy a new membership or pay whatever the upgrade price is then.

Eroneouse
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I can not really add much to hrgiger's comment as when I say all fixed I mean basic access to the forum/DL. When I bought LW9.6 though I know the blurb did specify access to beta and a copy of the first CORE 1.0 version from that beta, with upgrades to that to be paid for in the normal fashion.