PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Skull

pdp editor
10-22-2009, 08:18 PM
based on the attached image, which method would you use to model this Skull? Box or Spline? Is the top image needed? should the jaw teeth and head be in different layers? I desire to texture and animated the finished product. All tips and tuts welcomed.

SplineGod
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
You could use any of those methods or a combination of both. A method that all of my students Ive taught over the years have had good success with actually starts with a single polygon and follows a very traditional approach. You can see some exerpts from the DVD here but its enough to get you going.
I would also separate the lower jaw and model it separatly.
Another option might be to sculpt it in something like 3dcoat and export a mesh.
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/char_mod/
Modeling a head part1

Algae998
10-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I would think box and/or build out method for the skull would be best, which ever is more comfortable. Like SplineGod mentioned, separating the lower jaw would probably give you better results, along with making the teeth separate objects. For modeling initially, I would build the skull, jaw and teeth in separate layers then, depending on how youre going to rig and animate the model, I would put everything back into one or two layers.

SplineGod
10-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Splines could work too. I would use them to create the overall form and flow with them and once theyre patched to create the polys, switch to subds and go from there.
Splines work great as general layout tools for polys. Its easy to get the basic form and flow and start detailing from there.
Heres a source of some good info on voxel sculpting with 3dcoat. Once youve sculpted the shape the retopology tools are great.
http://www.vimeo.com/5567435

pdp editor
10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
You could use any of those methods or a combination of both. A method that all of my students Ive taught over the years have had good success with actually starts with a single polygon and follows a very traditional approach. You can see some exerpts from the DVD here but its enough to get you going.
I would also separate the lower jaw and model it separatly.
Another option might be to sculpt it in something like 3dcoat and export a mesh.
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/char_mod/
Modeling a head part1

I been working through your tut and it does not work for me.
there some steps/ things that are being done that dont match whats being said. At 6:34 (second tut) you say "I'm gonna take these two)
these two what? you have 12 polys selected so its hard to follow what you mean. At some points it's like there are 2 tuts to follow one visual one audio. It take guess work to keep the two together. Most of the time it's not hard to figure out, I think it just frustrates the learning process. You did a merge point I followed to find that "no points were eliminated"
I cant tell if that happened on your end because that part of your screen is not shown. So again guess work to follow.

I learned some good tips, and I will follow the rest.

SplineGod
10-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Its possible that the sound isnt syncing on the video. Once it awhile it does that and I have no idea why.
Sometimes I merge points just to make sure that they are. If you get that msg it just means that everything was ok.
Those videos are exerpts taken from my Character Modeling DVD.

pdp editor
10-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought I bought that one I'll have to check, I did not think of the old syncing issue,
thanks.

SplineGod
10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Definately let me know :)

biliousfrog
11-03-2009, 04:45 AM
I've yet to watch a video on VFXCast that is in sync, some of the longer ones are several seconds out by the end.