PDA

View Full Version : Ship Building

Eroneouse
10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
I posted this link on Mr Feeneys ship building post but I fear it will get buried and missed by many as links sometimes do so with that in mind I thought I would give it its own thread, seeing as it leads to loads of free resources and advice for 3D ship modeling, where does the link lead to. Well basically to a game web site hosted by Flying Labs for their game Pirates of the burning sea. One of their forum sections < the one I have linked to > was set up so players could submit their own 3D models of ships to be included with the game. I even gave it a go myself a couple of years back :D The forum in question has many links to plans and other resources useful to anyone engaged or wanting to be engaged in 3D model ship building.

http://www.burningsea.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

I hope this proves useful to some I have to admit I just rediscovered this forum today and am quite looking forward to useing lightwave to model some shipping. Not for the game I might add but more for my own fun and practice with LW.

R.Feeney
10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Good on ya :)

Eroneouse
10-23-2009, 08:45 AM
No problem, happy to help :) I did spend a couple of hours yesterday going over old posts and checking links out on that site and sad to say a lot of links are broken especially in the archive section. However a lot of the links are still active so thats something I suppose, it just needs a little ploughing through posts to find good links. Saying that I did find a couple and am going to start modeling a ship myself this weekend approx 40 guns in total so a little smaller than the ship you are building Richard mine will be more akin to the ship as seen on the classic first colour rendition of Mutiny on the Bounty. So more of a converted trader than a ship of the line like the Victory was.

Edit - Though the original Bounty was a converted coal carrier and only sported about 10 guns in all her comparative size was similar to a 40 gun frigate type ship 20 guns to a side on two gun decks of 10 guns each

R.Feeney
10-23-2009, 09:21 AM
I have a few photos of the HMS Bounty that was built for the film if you are interested, a couple of weeks ago she was docked here in Galway.
They are night shots though, so the detail is not great.
You can see one of them here http://my.opera.com/sprogger/blog/2009/09/28/y-o-p-305-hms-bounty

Eroneouse
10-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice piccy and yes although the darkness of the time of shooting hides some of the detail theres still enough to see what a major feat rigging a real ship would of been. I would love to see the rest of the piccys you got of the Bounty rebuild docked and/or under sail that you took while you were there. Just as a point of interest I understand some of the people who live on the island the bounty was destroyed at can still trace their lineage back to the original mutineers from the Bounty.

R.Feeney
10-24-2009, 03:48 PM
It may take a few days to gather them up and find somewhere to post them but I`ll get there :)

Eroneouse
10-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Thank you very much :) that would be most appreciated.

R.Feeney
10-31-2009, 07:28 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/richard.feeney/Bounty?authkey=Gv1sRgCIr9vLjT0rqztgE#

My apologies for nearly forgetting these, HMS Bounty night shots