PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Camera_Selector is dangerous

Emmanuel
08-30-2003, 08:50 AM
Hi folks !

Jut wanted to warn anyone about the Layout plugin that comes with LW that does allow You to switch cameras during previews.
It can cause the hierrarchy of Your models to collapse completely !!
I just had this happening to me, my character in the scene was completely exploded !

NewTek, fix it or take it out of LW, please !

riki
08-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Sounds nasty, can anyone confirm this?

Can you repeat the problem?

richpr
08-31-2003, 01:56 AM
It seems we have had exploding hierarchies a while back for some people in scenes... Not sure what it was related to...

Emmanuel
08-31-2003, 03:13 AM
It happened to me in the past, but I was also using yo_mirrorbone.p, and thought it might have caused that.
But now I figured that it was the camera selector plugin, cause there was no other plugin used in those scenes that exploded recently.
Its funny, You save and reload and its all a big mess.
Get rid of the plug, and everything is fine.
Okay, funny is not the right word...
Dunno why it does that, but its pretty ugly.

trick
08-31-2003, 03:21 AM
Confirmed and reported very, very long ago...
Thought it would have been solved in rev.b or .c (which I don't use BTW. Seems very little people are using this otherwise it would have !!! Now we will have to wait till [9] because of that :D

I'd like to use it in pre-viz scenes where a lot of dynamic camera-switching and -changing is goin' on...

Oh...the hierarchies are lost after reloading the scene if I remember correctly, which means character setups are down the drain !!!

Emmanuel
08-31-2003, 05:42 AM
True, btw I am on 7.5c...ince its just an Lscript I think, I am really wondering why it would be so hard to fix between two revisions :rolleyes:

fxnut
08-31-2003, 07:15 AM
Hi guys,
You can always use Camera Director as a replacement. It was posted on Flay last week, and you can download it from my website here (http://www.andynicholas.com/thezone/index.php?area=downloads)

I've had about 800 downloads so far, and no bug reports or complaints, so I'm pretty confident it does the job without the problems you mentioned.

Regards

Andy

WCameron
08-31-2003, 07:26 AM
dont forget to mention the most important part -

- It Does it DURING Renders! -

Heh.

- Will.

trick
08-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by fxnut
Hi guys...

Ho, ho, ho... XMas 's early this year...great work !!!

Doug Nicola
09-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Yep, Camera Director does the job (switching in playback/preview and renders), and does it very well. Just put it through a quick test of 6 different cameras switching 8 times over about 1300 frames, also with a zoom env thrown in. Perfect performance. Saves and reloads perfectly. Great work and thanks Andy!

fxnut
09-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Cool, I'm glad that Camera Director does the trick. Thanks for the feedback guys. It makes it worth spending the effort to release it as a freebee :D

Regards

Andy