PDA

View Full Version : gradient envelop to make particles fade?

Johnny
10-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm trying to make my particles fade out by using a gradient. Hypervoxels>Shading>Color>T-button>Gradient (input parameter Particle Age).

2 colors in the gradient: the first color is the color I want the hypervoxels to be while they are visible. The second color is no color, but the alpha turned down to 0%.

My reasoning is that, as a particle gets older, it goes from the color at full visibility, to no visibility.

I have fiddled with this all day and can't get this to work. I see almost no change whatsoever no matter how I twist and twiddle the controls, invert keys, trash it and start all over again.

doesn't matter if I also apply this gradient to the opacity and density channels in the hypervoxels panel under shading also.

It seems as though the particles want to do what they want to do, and to heck with me!

Is this a "busted in the Mac version" thing?

Maybe I'm looking at it too long?

Help!

thank you!

J

SplineGod
10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
The HVs dont fade when they age they just pop out of existence. Use the dissolve function to do that.

Johnny
10-20-2009, 09:25 PM
The HVs dont fade when they age they just pop out of existence. Use the dissolve function to do that.

well that certainly explains why my method failed dismally.

thank you!

J