PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

leagalghost
10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
does anyone know how to make a suspension in a car?

SplineGod
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
which part in particular are you having trouble with?

Silkrooster
10-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Auto parts catalogs makes a good reference. There are a lot of parts that make up a suspension so you probably will have to be more specific.

JonW
10-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Air, coil or cart springs?

You need to look at each component & break it up into its most simple geometric parts. Or say two simple geometric parts & Boolean subtract one from the another.

Gas cylinders, well, self explanatory. Two or three cylinders, 1 for the body & another for the piston. A very short cylinder on its edge at the end for mounting, but put a hole in it by doing a Boolean Subtract with another cylinder the diameter of the hole. (you need to think of hollow spaces in objects as an object in a negative form, create a simple object for this negative)

Cart springs, even easier, just some flat bars with a radius on the edge, Slice up into sections to bend it a bit.

Coil springs, just do a Toroid, cut & stretch & copy.

Air suspension balloon, many ways but probably a sphere & select a few rows of the top Points, do a Set Value “v” on the Y axis. repeat for the bottom half of the sphere. So then it will look something like a permanently squashed tennis ball.

leagalghost
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
sweet thanks, another question, how bout creating a suspension effect, example: if a car drives over a curb and the car bounces up and down. How would one do that?

JonW
10-21-2009, 04:27 PM
If you haven’t done so download all the tutorials, they will explain things better & you will pick up things quicker.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Usually one ends up using an idea for a completely different process, but that only comes will experience.

Trial & error, but make lots of errors, its the best way to learn.

As Thomas Edison said “I learnt 5000 ways how not to make a light globe”

erikals
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
maybe try this,
http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/spring.php

leagalghost
11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
hey thanks guys, i really appreciate the help you gave me, but i figure it out with hard fx, and it works perfect! thanks again!

leagalghost
11-27-2009, 12:01 PM
another question about the "Depth Buffer View" instead of the black being in the white rendering in the background, is it possible to have the white in the foreground? and to control that with a node or another object?

DrStrik9
11-28-2009, 02:38 AM
You guys are way over my head. Wouldn't it be possible to do this using Relativity?