cresshead
10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
this was being touted around siggy this summertime...nice to see it up on TED

OnlineRender
10-20-2009, 12:07 PM
I want a lightstage 6 ;)

biliousfrog
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
It's a bit odd when you think about it though...they took an actress, captured her facial movements, features and skin texture, rigged it all, then animated it doing exactly the same as what she was doing....You've got to wonder whether it was all a bit pointless :D

SBowie
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I thought the video of the fellow from DD discussing Benjamin Button was well worth watching, too.

Nicolas Jordan
10-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Even though this technology is really cool I don't really see much use for it in the context in which it's presented and demoed. Maybe I am missing something here but why try and replicate a realistic face in CG when you can just use the real source material?

biliousfrog
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I thought the video of the fellow from DD discussing Benjamin Button was well worth watching, too.

I can highly recommend JJ Abrahms talk too...there's a lot of good talks on there, nice for some inspiration when things are getting a bit hectic

wacom
10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Could be very helpful if the actor's contract is up, they are no longer with us, or there is a radical change to the shot which would make it easier to do CG over a new plate. Could also help in instances when a stunt double would still be too dangerous and the shot is close.

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I admit that just on its own it's not really an "impressive" use of technology, but there are applications for such things.

Lets just see how long we can keep Lucas from getting his hands on something like this though...

I should also add that this is the kind of stuff face robot is meant for...

monovich
10-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I want a lightstage 6 ;)

I'm waiting for Lightstage 7.5b, I heard thats when all the bugs will be worked out.

SBowie
10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. I admit that just on its own it's not really an "impressive" use of technology, but there are applications for such things.I think the Benjamin Button talk provides one very reasonable answer to the question 'why?'

OnlineRender
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
It's a bit odd when you think about it though...they took an actress, captured her facial movements, features and skin texture, rigged it all, then animated it doing exactly the same as what she was doing....You've got to wonder whether it was all a bit pointless :D

A good example would be something like The Crow , Mainly for action / dangerous stunts . but i can name a few good ZB artists that could probably model something that detailed .

still cool technology

shrox
10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Even though this technology is really cool I don't really see much use for it in the context in which it's presented and demoed. Maybe I am missing something here but why try and replicate a realistic face in CG when you can just use the real source material?

You don't have to pay synthetic actors, or put up with their Christian Bale moments. They don't worry about a career either, and can't refuse a part or role.

littlewaves
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Lets just see how long we can keep Lucas from getting his hands on something like this though...

he'll probably superimpose Ewan McGregor's face over Alec Guinness.

Titus
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM

Lucas doesn't like humans, he want droids for all his movies, just look at the SW prequels all the characters are droids.

Andrewstopheles
10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
nothing especially new or innovative there
but it looks like a good way of doing all the prep work quickly and easily in production
so i think its a great pitch to want to use their systems to save time and money

radams
10-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Well from a FX supervisor's point of view.

This would be great..for doing digital doubles (long or closeup shots)
recreating or adding shots after production.

How many remember that even Golum's preformances were done on set..and then posted to better match the actors.

It also gives a start for enhanced or altered humaniod creatures.

And like Benjamin Buttons...the ability to age..or even say have them look younger ;)

Then the abilities to then create games & story based computer/video games.

That would be awesome :)

And that is just a starting point for this technology.

Cheers,

IMI
10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
It's awesome. Truly awesome and impressive as hell, and I can certainly understand the need for such tech, and the applications for it.

Maybe I'm just weird though. I kind of like the CG characters to have a little CG look to them. I think an obvious CG character has more... character... than a CG model doing a perfect impersonation of a real person.
I don't really like watching movies, constantly asking myself "is that real or CG?", while I get so distracted thinking about that, that I can't enjoy the movie.

And no, it's not just because I can't do it. :D

EDIT:
Ahh, but for games though - that's a different story altogether, I think. The more real looking everything is in a game, the better, IMO.

radams
10-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Just had another thought on how this would be helpful technology.

Thinking of how we have lost some major talented actors over the years...during a production.

With this technology...it may allow a production to be completed...
Think back at the movie Gladiator...or even the loss of Heath Ledger.

This would have been helpful.

Cheers,