PDA

View Full Version : dual core

dmac989
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm running LW 9.2 32 bit on Win XP 32, and I have installed a dual core processor. For the OS to use the dual cores I had to swap the kernel, question is, does LW9.2 automatically utilize the dual cores?

If not, how do I enable it?

BTW, If i pop up task manager while Im rendering, it shows both processors running but they only go up to 49%, so it can't be working properly

Amurrell
10-19-2009, 10:46 PM
LW should detect the threads automatically, but you can set the render threads in the render globals panel to 2. I can't remember how efficiently 9.2 uses the cores since I've been using 9.6 for a while and it uses them pretty well. Go ahead and update to 9.6. Nothing to lose since it's free, and is far better than 9.2 in many ways. Don't know about 9.6.1 and its stability yet in some areas, so I'm waiting..

dmac989
10-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Great, ok that worked. Yes downloading 9.6 right now, thanks! Been out of it for a few months.

Sensei
10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
If you're using Classic Camera, you should use as much threads as possible, especially if scene has dramatic poly count change in vertical.
If you're using Perspective Camera or other Advanced Camera Tools, then the most optimal is in your case 2 (or Automatic in LW v9.6 settings).

After installing LW v9.6 make sure that older config files are deleted, or use -c parameter to redirect config directory in both Modeler/Layout (if you will be using both LW v9.2 and LW v9.6).