PDA

View Full Version : which mac for lightwave 9.6

Gilles France
10-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Hi,

I'm using an Imac 2,8 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo, Ram 4 Go. I'm wondering to buy the mac Pro 8 core duo for more productivity. What's your opinion please ? Is it really really faster for render ?

Excuse me for my english, I'm french :-)

JonW
10-18-2009, 04:30 AM
2.26 Ghz V8 with at least 8 gb ram.

This model is the will give you the most Ghz per dollar per frame out put rate. If you need more power you are better off buying a second box rather than the 2.66 or 2.93, they are just too expensive.

Another option is to seriously consider 3 or 4 “bare box boxes” using a i7 920 with 12 gb ram each, & do your rendering on these. The good thing with LW is that you can set everything up on the Mac & then go & do the rendering on PCs.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102663

littlewaves
10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
if you're buying a mac pro I'd try and hold out for early next year.

I'm holding out for dual 6-core processors or failing that a much cheaper dual quad. Considering a quad core imac came out today I think it's a dead cert the Mac Pro base model will be 8-core next refresh.

However if your imac is handling everything okay and you just fancy a render increase I'd definitely go with JonW's suggestion. Way more bang for your buck (although much higher footprint both carbon and physical not to mention noisier!)

4dartist
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I'd buy an 8core. They are 'really really faster' at rendering, than say a Core2Duo. They are almost exactly 4 times as fast. It scales remarkable close to linear. (at least from the tests we did)

You could always get a refurbished one too and save some money, and I can't say I recommend the Mac monitor. The colors are very good, but they are sooo $$. I'd get a dell, although you may have to calibrate it.

We have 4 refurbished 8cores and maybe 6 or 7 refurbished monitors. One 8core lost a video card, and 2 monitors have a bad ghosting problem. That's about it though.