PDA

View Full Version : strange HW issue - expert's advice needed

Pavlov
10-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi all,
i just upgradeed a PC for my farm and it has a very strange issue; both me and vendor cannot get what's going up here. I'll report the facts so you'll understand better.

- I upgraded a Q6600 system putting an i7 950 processor, an Asus P6T SE motherboard, 4 GB ram DDR3 Corsair, a new 800W powersupply. I kept in place HD, graphic card, CDrom and case.
- I formatted HD then installed XP pro 64 bit OEM which was on previous PC. Installation was hard because after formatting it didnt find NTLDR, so i had to copy it manually from XP's CD.
- Once setup, i just installed BNR and fired up calculations: after some time (20min- 1 h) the PC reboots. I tried installing LW locally and loading a scene from LAN; after some computing it reboots. If i render a scene unplugging PC from LAN it renders nicely, no reboot.
- I tried installing XP from scratch, formatting HD in depth; after formatting it asked again for NTLDR. So we changed HD but it did the same, we had to copy the file manually.
- We did several tries changing Ram, MB, HD, Graphic card, CDreader: the issue remain. We also changed LAN cable and switch but no result.
- In the end we tried changing processor with an identical one: the only difference is XP installs nicely, no file missing this time. But once It's rendering on LAN it reboots again.

It's about 10 days of tries and honestly i start think this machine is cursed.. no old component remains here BUT case (coolermaster Centurion).
Before someone asks, Temperature is OK, near this machine other 8 similar ones runs 24/7 and all of them are overclocked. The PC room is kept cold.
Any idea ?

thanks for reading,
paolo

biliousfrog
10-17-2009, 07:14 AM
My only thought is that it has something like wake on LAN enabled or you have a conflict with the ethernet driver. If it's fine without being connected to the LAN there's obviously something going on there.

Out of curiosity, why are you using only 4gb RAM when the i7 boards are designed to use triple channel memory? Have you tried running 3 x sticks (3gb or 6gb)?...it might be a bandwidth issue.

Pavlov
10-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi,
vendor had just 2 rimms, but i was aware of this and i tried also with 3, taking them from another I7.. same issue.
Regardin LAN, i'll check WOL in Bios... but strange think is this is same MB i use on other I7's and i dont have this issue.

Thanks for now,
paolo

Stooch
10-17-2009, 11:34 AM
the p6t SE is notorious for hardware issues.

check out the newegg reviews, its full of stories similar to yours. may be a bad board.

you might want to check for bios updates as there were a few

Hi all,
i just upgradeed a PC for my farm and it has a very strange issue; both me and vendor cannot get what's going up here. I'll report the facts so you'll understand better.

- I upgraded a Q6600 system putting an i7 950 processor, an Asus P6T SE motherboard, 4 GB ram DDR3 Corsair, a new 800W powersupply. I kept in place HD, graphic card, CDrom and case.
- I formatted HD then installed XP pro 64 bit OEM which was on previous PC. Installation was hard because after formatting it didnt find NTLDR, so i had to copy it manually from XP's CD.
- Once setup, i just installed BNR and fired up calculations: after some time (20min- 1 h) the PC reboots. I tried installing LW locally and loading a scene from LAN; after some computing it reboots. If i render a scene unplugging PC from LAN it renders nicely, no reboot.
- I tried installing XP from scratch, formatting HD in depth; after formatting it asked again for NTLDR. So we changed HD but it did the same, we had to copy the file manually.
- We did several tries changing Ram, MB, HD, Graphic card, CDreader: the issue remain. We also changed LAN cable and switch but no result.
- In the end we tried changing processor with an identical one: the only difference is XP installs nicely, no file missing this time. But once It's rendering on LAN it reboots again.

It's about 10 days of tries and honestly i start think this machine is cursed.. no old component remains here BUT case (coolermaster Centurion).
Before someone asks, Temperature is OK, near this machine other 8 similar ones runs 24/7 and all of them are overclocked. The PC room is kept cold.
Any idea ?

thanks for reading,
paolo

Pavlov
10-17-2009, 12:17 PM
thanks, i'll inform my vendor to see if we find a substitute.

Hieron
10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Updating the bios in the OS may be tricky though, fried 2 Asus boards that way by now. Funny thing is that you know it is fried when it happens.. the flashing utility crashes.. Then you're still in the OS but can never shut down the pc anymore :)

Perhaps there was a fix, I just got new ones and stay clear of Asus flashing bios in OS by their own tool.

Stooch
10-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Updating the bios in the OS may be tricky though, fried 2 Asus boards that way by now. Funny thing is that you know it is fried when it happens.. the flashing utility crashes.. Then you're still in the OS but can never shut down the pc anymore :)

Perhaps there was a fix, I just got new ones and stay clear of Asus flashing bios in OS by their own tool.

if you have faulty memory then flashing bios could be dangerous, so far ive flashed about 4 different boards from windows with no problems. I wouldnt recommend flashing with an unstable system, tahts about it.