PDA

View Full Version : DOF Antialiasing

Gilles France
10-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to render an image 1600x2400 with a large depth of field. I've tried AA : 8, AS : 0,01, enhanced high, it's very very very long the blur is not efficient.
What did I go wrong please ? Could someone help me ?
Does exist an another to way to control depth of field ?

opensource
10-17-2009, 07:22 AM
If I remember correctly you can use a null to set the focus / DOF point when attached to a camera . sorry best ive got , its google time .

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101188&highlight=depth+field another thread

Jim M
10-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Which camera are you using? If you are using a 'perspective' cam, try setting motion blur passes to 3+

Cohen
10-17-2009, 01:06 PM
If its not a a photo-realisitic rendering, you could process a simple depth of field effect based on the depth buffer using any of the DOF image filter plug-ins. They are quick and provide acceptable results in many cases.

About Jim's suggestion regarding increasing the motion blur passes. While that is a creative way that can remove the grain in the rendered image, it does not specifically refine the DOF affect. Only way to improve the effect of dof is increase the number of sampling of AA. And since its a 2k image, I wouldn't recommend doing more than one pass of rendering.

Gilles, definetly do as Jim suggests with using the new perspective camera. It uses the new technique for computing the DOF effect, which is much more realistic and faster than the old method used in the classic camera. And if it still takes too long, then I suggest using the "Digital Confusion" filter or the "Depth-of-Field Blur" image filter.

Jim M
10-17-2009, 02:15 PM
About Jim's suggestion regarding increasing the motion blur passes. While that is a creative way that can remove the grain in the rendered image, it does not specifically refine the DOF affect. Only way to improve the effect of dof is increase the number of sampling of AA

I disagree.

Regardless, its often better to render out a depth pass and use that as a blur mask in post

jaxtone
10-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Lightwave´s DOF are so damn slow and complicated. Give us a faster, better and "easier to setup" DOF and I am back into it.

Hieron
10-17-2009, 05:02 PM
:) your posts are getting repetitive Jax

Gilles: it really depends on your image, but for many shots it works best to export the depth buffer and do it in post. There are some nice Photoshop or similar plugins around and it allows some nicer control than using the built in depth buffer DoF options.

That won't work with certain geometry or transparant surfaces etc though, but when it works it saves tons of time.

Amurrell
10-17-2009, 07:11 PM
A lot of people have been asking about depth of field lately. Refer here for some suggestions on getting good images.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101188&highlight=Death+field

It may help define some things and get rid of some of the mystery behind LW's DOF capability.

Gilles France
10-18-2009, 02:32 AM
thanks a lot all. I think I found the right way for my image

jaxtone
10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Sorry to upset you but I just wanna be sure of that no one have missed that I am really dissapointed with the old school stuff in LW that kills your joy before it´s even has started. :D (But I agree that it sounds like an echo from the past... wich of course not would have been a fact if the developing process for this matter had started 10 years ago.)

If it would have been up to me this disadvantage cannot, will not or shall not take part of any new LW versions in the future!

:) your posts are getting repetitive Jax

Gilles: it really depends on your image, but for many shots it works best to export the depth buffer and do it in post. There are some nice Photoshop or similar plugins around and it allows some nicer control than using the built in depth buffer DoF options.

That won't work with certain geometry or transparant surfaces etc though, but when it works it saves tons of time.