PDA

View Full Version : Weight map for fiber fx help: layout

Algae998
10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey all,

Im trying to put some fur on my dog model and Im using weight maps in the fiber fx node to control where the fibers are. Ive tried putting the eye sockets, nose, mouth and nails to 0%, -50% and -100% weight (one solid model) but they still grow fibers..any suggestions?

I was going to try painting a uv map for this but figured the weight map would be easier and more of a sure result.
Thanks in advance!

sandman300
10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Just to make sure. Your using the weight map on a gradient for the scale, density, or both? I find that seperating the areas that you dont want hair into a seperate surface (even if it's textured the same) helps controle the FFX. then just lower the scale and/or the density to near zero at the polys at the edges of where you want the hair to be.

The way I set up a weight map for a character is to define areas of the geonetry as individual values. For example I start with the body at a 0 value (this will be my median value). With this value I go over to layout and run FFX with the weight map on the scale, and input values till I get the results I'm looking for as a median scale. You can then go back to modeler and adjust the weight map to identify areas that wou want shorter/longer or no hair. You might have to adjust values at the transitions between areas but if you keep zero as the median value and shortest at -100, longest at 100. things should flow smoothly between areas. Then it really comes down to adjusting the gradient in layout.

After the scale value is set then you can fo back and do the same thing for density. And I also do the same for gravity.

Dodgy
10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
It's working for me. Did you set the weight as a gradient in the Density T panel?

Algae998
10-16-2009, 06:16 PM
It's working for me. Did you set the weight as a gradient in the Density T panel?

That did the trick! I completely forgot about the weight map option for a gradient. Originally I had only set the weight map in the nodes only.
Thanks!

WCameron
10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
it works the same way in the node editor, basically you run a weightmap node to a gradient node to the FiberFX node.
I originally tried it too by just tying a weightmap
to the fiberfx node.
SEEMS like it should work like that. Like bringing in an image in black and white and using that for the length, but apparently not :-)

- Will.

Dodgy
10-16-2009, 08:51 PM
I just tried a weight map in the node editor and it worked. Must be something odd going on....

WCameron
10-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I just tried a weight map in the node editor and it worked. Must be something odd going on....

it does! Hmmm. maybe it was 9.5? I KNOW it didnt work
on my mouse character... I'll have to check the scene..

- Will.

Dodgy
10-17-2009, 05:56 PM
That's what I wonder. FFX was a lot flakier in 9.5 than 9.6, so I wanna know if all these bugs people report are from their initial 9.5 experiences or 9.6.

Algae998
10-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Im running 9.6..but Im not familiar with FFX so it could be just my error.