PDA

View Full Version : Displacement with a UV map

Philbert
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
What's up with UV displacement maps moving your object in X Y or Z? Is there some way you can apply a UV amp for displacement without having to pick XYZ direction?

probiner
10-16-2009, 11:22 AM
What's your setup?

Philbert
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
A character head, opened the Object Properties, clicked the Displacement Texture button, picked the UV option and UV map, then the image file.

probiner
10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
What about nodes, are you avoiding them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0gRkeuspU

Philbert
10-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Who said anything about avoiding them? I just forgot, I don't displace very often and most of the time that I did do it was before nodes existed. Thanks.

I assume since I'm not using zbrush I'll just use the same setup except minus that Subtract node. (no pun intended)

SplineGod
10-16-2009, 12:58 PM
If youre not using nodes try normal or bump displacement.

Philbert
10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I already have normal maps on there, I wanted to displace the geometry as well. I did just follow what William did in the video, minus the Subtract node, and it seems to be working fine. At least it was until my computer crashed, but that's irrelevant.

SplineGod
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM
No, not normal MAPS, normal DISPLACMENT....theyre 2 different things.
LW has several ways of displacing actual geometry:
Displace along and axis
displace along normals
bump displacement
displace along a morph

Philbert
10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Larry Sorry I missed your call. I just misunderstood. It turns out the video did not help I was just seeing my normal map. I've got a Normal Displacement map on now, but it seems to be blowing up everything the same amount. Is that tweaked with the Attenuation Bias?

Algae998
10-16-2009, 02:57 PM
I think you should be able to use that same node setup even if its not a zbrush displacement map. As you mentioned, try removing the subtract node. This is the only way Ive been able to get a displacement map working properly and not displacing its position.
Another thing that works well for me is to set subdivision order to after motion (geometry tab in obj properties) and set node displacement order to before world displacement (deform tab).
Hope that helps a bit!

Philbert
10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah I tried the method from the video minus the Subtract node and it wasn't doing anything. Changing the subdivision order now. We'll see how that works out. I'm kinda glad this is taking a while, it's keeping me busy while I wait for an art test to arrive from a big game studio. :p

Philbert
10-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Nope, tried just about every method now. They seem to all either do nothing or every bulges out the same amount

Philbert
10-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Ooh! I remembered that I had the same problem last time I was doing this and someone sent me the attached node setup with instructions written in each node. Here's a render too the only problem is some weird creases which I think are caused by a bug that doesn't add padding to the baked displacement map.