PDA

View Full Version : Initial impression of Vue xStream v8

clagman
10-16-2009, 09:28 AM
With the limited amount of testing I have been able to do it I will say these things about rendering inside LW 9.6:

It renders a LOT faster.
Dynamic eco seems MUCH more stable.
No switching cameras after edit.
No screwed up camera keyframes.
Using the atmospheric controls to edit light position works.
Atmosphere quality is crazy.

Now that I've gotten everybodys hopes up, I'll be doing some substantial testing over the next few days (in script development part of the current project so I will have time to let the machine render). I hope this is as good as it seems.

clagman
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
PRmotionblur works well. Low quality AA to keep the render time down for the test. If you guys want me to test something out just let me know.

lwaddict
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice that they finally got this down after charging everyone repeatedly to get what they were promised with 6.

I complain...
but I'll probably buy the damned thing. Ugh.

3dworks
10-19-2009, 10:06 AM
clagman, thanks for keeping us updated - i've bought the upgrade as well but will get access to version 8 only after release in november...

GregMalick
10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Aloha,

Vue Inf 7.0 User here.

I'm not sure if you're under RDA - but if possible could you show some of the improvements in v8 ? E-on's simple list just isn't enough to sell me - poor marketing if you ask me - then again maybe I missed some nifty hidden release videos.

Also, I've always held off on the xStream because of all the bugs and poor support people have been squawking about. No sense in flushing money down the toilet. Plus I've always worried that the xStream version wouldn't work as well as the Infinite version - so I would have sunk myself down a hole with no escape. And I'm recently turned-off by LW not mentioned in their news release about Deeper xStream Immersive Integration .

So please give us as much of the real scoop on v8's "short list of exciting new features". :rolleyes:
And any suggestions/recommendations for Infinite users would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is my best understanding of the upgrade prices:
v7inf -> v7.5/v8 infinite $295
v7inf -> v7.5/v8 xStream $645

Not sure how a support price would save any more money.

3dworks
10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Aloha,

Vue Inf 7.0 User here.

I'm not sure if you're under RDA - but if possible could you show some of the improvements in v8 ? E-on's simple list just isn't enough to sell me - poor marketing if you ask me - then again maybe I missed some nifty hidden release videos.

Also, I've always held off on the xStream because of all the bugs and poor support people have been squawking about. No sense in flushing money down the toilet. Plus I've always worried that the xStream version wouldn't work as well as the Infinite version - so I would have sunk myself down a hole with no escape. And I'm recently turned-off by LW not mentioned in their news release about Deeper xStream Immersive Integration .

So please give us as much of the real scoop on v8's "short list of exciting new features". :rolleyes:
And any suggestions/recommendations for Infinite users would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, this is my best understanding of the upgrade prices:
v7inf -> v7.5/v8 infinite $295
v7inf -> v7.5/v8 xStream $645

Not sure how a support price would save any more money.

probably clagman can say more about xstream 8 - but as far as i can tell you from my experience - and with a bit of sarcasm - xstream 8 is just xstream 7, but actually working (!), with a few bonus additions. probably it's not far off to see e-on's versioning more as point releases: 0.6 for xstream 6 until 0.8 for this version, meaning that a totally 'mature' version 1.0 (10) is near to be released end of next year :D

well, it's easy to make jokes about that - on the other side developing technology as such connection plugins is really a challenge and probably a kind of never ending updating game, especially if you consider all the past SDK issues with LW. the base app vue has always been much more stable anyway.

if you buy into xstream you always can use the base app without LW plugins. it is the same as the infinite version, same stability etc. also, keep in mind that the plugin for LW is limited in one important point for now: no direct placements in layout of ecosystems... they say it's the SDK not permitting it... it's of course easy to switch over to the vue app and place them over there, switch back to layout and see them in viewport - but it's not exactly the perfect workflow.

anyway, as soon as i can get my hands on the final version 8 xstream i will report as well... ;)

for mac users only: another thing to keep in mind is that for now you better stick to windows 64 bit when using xstream anyway, as it needs huge amounts of RAM to work in a stable manner as soon as you add ecosystems and some complexity to the scene. e-on announced a 64 bit OSX version to be released shortly after the official release of vue 8. let's see if they keep the promise, and especially if this will mean plugin support for LW 9.6.1 cocoa 64 bit.

cheers

markus

kfinla
10-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm a v7xstream owner and certainly noticed the absence of lightwave mentioned in the vue8 marketing. It's a transition time for NT so if I do upgrade I'm think of calling about going from 7xst to 8 infinite which is not an option on the e-on site that I've seen.

JohnMarchant
10-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Well im keeping my money in my wallet until its been out some more and some of you kind people out there sell it to me. I wont take what EON says on face value

pixym
10-21-2009, 10:00 AM
PRmotionblur works well. Low quality AA to keep the render time down for the test. If you guys want me to test something out just let me know.

Thanks for sharing your results ;)
45mn with what computer spec?

Sekhar
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
With the limited amount of testing I have been able to do it I will say these things about rendering inside LW 9.6:

It renders a LOT faster.

Not sure you can call 45 min for a single frame low quality render fast, even with MB.

clagman
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Sorry been away for a bit. Let me catch up first by saying to Sekhar, it renders fast-ER not fast haha! The secret to getting such long rendertimes is to use fractal landscapes rather than standard. I wanted to push the software a bit. Plus that was done in xStream which as we know is slower than native Vue rendering due to the lack of AA optimizations and such. Using standard higher resolution terrains could have cut the time in half probably.

3dworks, you are right. At least all the folks who purchased 7 should be getting 8 for free. I consider myself lucky that I got in when I did.

Pixym, I am using a Dell T7400: dual 5490 Xeon, 16Gb RAM, dual Quadro CX, multiple RAID.

pixym
10-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok thanks,
So it is very slow with this hardware…

clagman
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I suppose slow is relative. 45m/frame is probably about average for me. We use a bunch of blades to make up the difference. I think we generally shoot for 30-60m per frame. We add or remove detail to keep in in that area makes it easier to figure out how long a job will take to render. That particular shot has soft shadows turned on which also eats up some processor.

I think rendering a Vue scene with no native objects in it also increase render time. Covering landscape and instances with buildings, tanks or whatever ya got does make a difference. Plus clouds are a real pain. If you aren't looking to animate the clouds and/or having them interact with characters in the shot (jets flying through etc) it's really a waste to use them. Use the old school method of spherical mapped sky image on a dome. Renders VASTLY quicker. I like using skylight for radiosity behind a image mapped dome, then you just uncheck "render sky" in Vue options. Works great and quick to render.

What I'm trying to do is push it's capabilities so I turn it all on. If you think 45 minutes is bad try working with volumetric sunlight and a dynamic eco with trees up close, haha!