PDA

View Full Version : HD soon?

logic28
10-16-2009, 04:17 AM
Hi there,

This is the question that many private TV companies are asking in Italy:
Is there anything in the pipeline to suggest that some time in the future we will have a new VT card and switcher able to broadcast HD?

I hope that Paul Lara will drop in to this.

Mauro of Logic28 :thumbsup:

billmi
10-16-2009, 11:15 AM
This has been previously discussed here in the forum.

There have been no announcements regarding an HD version of VT, and from casual discussion by NewTek employees here in the forum, I am not expecting one to be produced.

The Tricaster XD300 is planned for release later this year, providing HD functionality - http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/xd300.php

SBowie
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
...from casual discussion by NewTek employees here in the forum, I am not expecting one to be produced.In the assumption that I might just be an employee who has engaged in 'casual discussion' on this topic, I just want to say that - whatever my own personal preference or guess might be - I'm really not aware of any decision on the matter (just to keep the record clear).

wbd12
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I asked about the future of VT and if any software/hardware changes would be coming. I was told there won't be any. Newtek makes a lot more money off of selling TriCasters and that's where they are going to put their time. Additionally, providing customer support for VT is difficult. One customer's computer system can be totally different (in components) from another. It's a nightmare to support. In contrast, Newtek sells the Tricaster as a preconfigured turnkey system. Since the components are essentially the same in all of the systems, it's easier to provider customer support.

Even though I understand their reasoning, I'm actually very disappointed there won't be any more development or upgrades to it.

SBowie
11-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Even though I understand their reasoning, I'm actually very disappointed there won't be any more development or upgrades to it.I am not sure I entirely agree with this conclusion. It's too open-ended.

There have certainly been no official statements to the effect that the existing VT won't benefit from any updates/upgrades. That would surprise me quite a bit.

As far as a hypothetical "VTHD" or "VTXD", I'm not sure - don't think anyone is absolutely. There have been long threads on this topic. I'm on record with my own personal opinion that I'd rather see TriCaster be NewTek's 'live production' solution, with SE as the core of a editing/post system (which could include HD i/o hardware) freed from all of the live production/switching/streaming overhead the current product entails. In that magical dream realm where I always get my way, that would be the true successor to VT imho - but all of this is speculation at this time.

starchieo
11-06-2009, 04:23 AM
What brought me to VT was the live switching side of things. With the ability to have up to 8 SDI inputs along with many other configurations as opposed to the restrictive tricaster models.

Perhaps dumping the edit side and promoting the fantastic switching/live capabilities as a product that is stand alone and available as HD would find a new market.

There is a burgeoning market out there for quality affordable mixers and perhaps splitting the current VT into an edit Package and a Live package will bear more fruit.

SBowie
11-06-2009, 05:22 AM
What brought me to VT was the live switching side of things. With the ability to have up to 8 SDI inputs along with many other configurations as opposed to the restrictive tricaster models.Sine live production is your realm, is there any thing apart from the number of inputs XD300 offers that doesn't seem to meet your needs?

mzafrany
11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Aside from 3 input the CG is very limited (even with the new 2 layers).

We sell VT with Titlebox CG offering virtually unlimited layes with advanced support for objects like flash, PowerPoint, web content, timed events and more.

I have suggested several times that NewTek would incorporate Titlebox into Tricater (no need to re invent the wheel).

SBowie
11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Aside from 3 input the CG is very limited (even with the new 2 layers).How are you including Titlebox output in your live productions? Have you got some way to bring it up on the Switcher or in overlay? Or do you just put its output in a DDR on your VTs?

mzafrany
11-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Titlebox has a driver that sends it's output to a VT as a 32bit source so we just select it as the DSK.

Titlebox handles integration of all CG layers and sends the result to the VT as one frame buffer.

SBowie
11-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Interesting, thanks. It would be nice if it could present itself across a network, like LT does (offloading the CG processing and management to another system and operator in the process). It's years since I heard of this CG solution, thanks for reminding me.

starchieo
11-13-2009, 02:36 AM
Hi Steve,

it is mainly the number of inputs, although the price point is a sticking point too ( at least here in the UK).

Kevin

SBowie
11-13-2009, 05:36 AM
I hear that - seems like pretty everything associated with HD puts it into a different realm from my personal budget. Hopefully economics of scale will kick in as things progress. That said, and although I don't know if the same deals have hit European shores yet, there are some astonishing deals in the newly announced XD300 Power Up program - might be worth inquiring, as it seems unlikely it'll get better than this any time soon.

ted
11-14-2009, 05:06 PM
there are some astonishing deals in the newly announced XD300 Power Up program - might be worth inquiring, as it seems unlikely it'll get better than this any time soon.

So true. I thought NewTek would offer a similar deal...IF you sent back your current TriCaster.
But with this deal you get to KEEP your current TriCaster AND get a killer deal on the XD300.
I've been wanting to pick up a back up TC. This will allow us to automatically have a backup with one being HD. Sweeeeeet! :thumbsup:

Quiet1onTheSet
11-14-2009, 09:18 PM
So true. I thought NewTek would offer a similar deal...IF you sent back your current TriCaster.
But with this deal you get to KEEP your current TriCaster AND get a killer deal on the XD300.
I've been wanting to pick up a back up TC. This will allow us to automatically have a backup with one being HD. Sweeeeeet! :thumbsup::hijack:
Congrats, Ted, in your having exterminated your Standard Def, NewTek hardware from Symantec® Norton® junkware. 'Proud of you, guy!
:hey:
Carry that discipline over to your soon-to-be acquired, XD300, and your experience will most assuredly be "as sweet as it gets"!
:thumbsup:

Q1