PDA

View Full Version : OT - external midi trigger for mac or pc?

wp_capozzi
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Hello,

Does anyone have experience or advice to build or rig together a simple switch to trigger events on a computer? Mac or PC. I'm aiming to start/stop audio and video clips with a footswitch. I'm not sure how involved it is. Seems I remember seeing a way to control Lightwave with a midi device, but that is much more than I need to do. Hardware and software advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Bill C.

RollerJesus
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
For audio:

Most midi interfaces will have a 'router' application that accompanies them in which you can route an incoming midi signal to an internal or external destination. I would try to get a copy of any software sampler and hook up your footswitch to your midi interface.

My footswitch goes through a keyboard, as it doesn't have a direct midi connection on it. So, then I just load wav files into the software sampler, assign it to whatever midi note the footswitch is and it will fire them when hit.

I don't have any insight into video though. I use Logic. It has a software sampler and you can play video within it, but I don't know how to hook the video playback to midi input. Although, i imagine it would be pretty simple via it's environment window.

cresshead
10-15-2009, 10:19 AM
well you can get usb footpedels that mimic your mouse buttons...that would be the simplest maybe...look into RSI add ons for thos who need alternates to mice.