PDA

View Full Version : Any easy way to do a slideshow?

Nangleator
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Every once in a while I decide to do something like a slideshow in LW. I know a video editor is the way to go here, but it sometimes makes sense to use a few of the cooler capabilities of 3D.

So, I load an image into Modeler, note the dimensions, make a plane in those dimensions, apply the image as a texture to that surface, and use autofit.

Then I make a new layer, for a new image plane.

Tedious!

Any quicker ways of making the image come out with the correct aspect ratio, so that nothing shows but the image?

probiner
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Problem is that you dont have an image sequence timeline controler.

This would be great.

(ding ding ding dong Mr.Dpont, pls attend to the node department. Mr.Dpont, pls attend to the node department. Ty. ding ding dong dong)

You can do it in cascade with 'IF' node, but its quite stupid. but it works after the setup. IFnode-A: if Null.X.Position=1 then alpha-A 100; if Null.X.Position=2 alpha 0, so it passes. IFnode-B: if Null.X.Position=2 then alpha-B 100 if Null.X.Position=3 then alpha-b 0. And so on.

I did it once for 12 images, few thoguht :) If they where 200 it would very tedius. Thing is you can save that, only thing you have to load is the images in each node. Still tedious :D

SplineGod
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
You might try using a gradient node and input a texture to each key of the gradient.
Set the gradient based on distance to a null. Moving the null should go from one image to the next.

probiner
10-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Aahh thats a nice one

bjornkn
10-15-2009, 06:11 AM
If they all have diffferent aspect ratios I can't see how you could avoid having to manually apply the dimensions. I wouldn't use autofit though. I would make the plane square 5x5m, and fixed values for the image, and then use Reset on U&V repeat/Tile.
I don't know what's more tedious, to add a lot of images and keys to a gradient than to copy/paste a layer several times and change the image (and size) accordingly?
With a gradient you'll get fadein/out all the time with Hermite, and hard transitions with Stepped. I suppose you could control this using some input for Alpha?
Using layers you can use envelopes to fade in/out opacity. With nodes you would probably be able to control fading with another Nulls position? And/or control more fancy wipes, spins etc? Lots of options, but I think all with be more or less tedious if you have a lot of images.

Nangleator
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Heh. Okay, I wasn't being stupid. I was half afraid there was some simple answer I've been missing for years, but it's nice to know it's as complicated as it seems!

Thanks, all.

RollerJesus
10-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Wow, I didn't think others were using LW for slideshows... neat!

@Nangleator, I also like to cut out the subject in Photoshop, place it on clipmapped plane and place it just a bit closer to the camera than the subject on the original plane. Then you can move the clip mapped plane at slightly different speeds than the plane with the original image. It gives a subtle parallax feel, which is pretty nice if not overdone. :)

Sorry, if that explanation doesn't make sense, I have an example at home if you're interested.

probiner
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
You can export fimlstrip format from After Effects *.flm in render queue
And with it you can set an offset movement and set Offset Repeat in Post Behavior to make the strip runs through a screen. And Incoming Curve in Graph editor set to Stepped.
This will probably make it easier to do a scrub, by im not seeing how for now.
Cheers
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78384&stc=1&d=1255618919

probiner
10-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Did a scene for fun.
I don't know how does lightwave handle big images. My example is ok since its ony 24 images 100x116.

By the way, a question: - How do you fake luminosity coming out of a suface withouth screwing up the texture. So like a surface would render like it was with 100%luminosity, but it would output to other surfaces with GI, for example, 500%luminosity?

Cheers

Nangleator
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Sadly, I lack After Effects, which is odd for someone with our skills. I'm also missing half the alphabet and my torso. It's okay, I've found workarounds.

probiner
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Are they good? :)

Nangleator
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
How do you fake luminosity coming out of a suface withouth screwing up the texture. So like a surface would render like it was with 100%luminosity, but it would output to other surfaces with GI, for example, 500%luminosity?
Oh, a different object parented with a brighter surface and unseen by camera?

probiner
10-15-2009, 10:02 AM
ok ok. I was trying to skip that tedious part too :P

But since its a render thing i thought there could be something like GI input channel or something. so you could control how much luminosity would come out of a surface.

Cheers