PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave with video cards

Figrin
10-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Can Lightwave handle duel video cards yet in SLI mode?

IMI
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
No.
As far as I know, no windowed application can run in SLI, unless specifically written for that.
Not that that matters much anyway, since LW uses very little of your GPU's power as it is, doubling it wouldn't do much. LW uses your CPU for almost all its OpenGL.
CORE may be a different story.

In a system with SLI, a 3D program will use only one of your video cards.

Figrin
10-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you. wasn't sure if there would be a advantage or not but as long as it will work on one im good with that :).

biliousfrog
10-15-2009, 03:32 AM
It also applies to dual GPU cards such as the Geforce 295 which uses 2 x 265's, you'll only be able to use one of the GPU's.

ToMar
10-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow, I'm lucky to stumble over this thread. As I hand plans to build a machine with dual GPU cards in SLI config .

Having a nice board with one unused pci-e slot kind of bugs me a bit. Any advantages of 1 video card for each Display. (although I started to think about 3-4 Display config)

IMI
10-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Wow, I'm lucky to stumble over this thread. As I hand plans to build a machine with dual GPU cards in SLI config .

Having a nice board with one unused pci-e slot kind of bugs me a bit. Any advantages of 1 video card for each Display. (although I started to think about 3-4 Display config)

You could do one video card for each display, but for LightWave it's really kind of overkill with no real benefit.
I have a GTX 285 running two 24" LCD monitors. It is far more than adequate, but for LightWave, I think I had the same performance when I had just one GeForce 7950 GTX running two 22" inch monitors.
As I already pointed out, Lightwave benefits very little from your GPU. Most of its OpenGL is run through your processor, so your CPU *does* matter.
GLSL in Layout and Modeler, however, are using your video card more, but even there I don't think more than one video card would be much of a benefit.
Core will be using your GPU far more, I believe, and might even be leveraging the GPU for certain calculations and rendering too, so if you're planning a CORE machine, you might want to look into that more.
What they have actually stated on that subject has been very vague, but for just for regular LW, don't hurt your bank account buying the best video card available. However, if you game or use other 3D programs that do use your GPU more, that might be worth it. Still no SLI though in any 3D apps I know of at least.

Unfortunately NewTek doesn't seem interested in answering CORE questions, or even technical questions that might influence a person's hardware choices, so the only way to find out what you might want to do is to join Hardcore and hope for the best.