PDA

View Full Version : Website Updating - Image Copyright/Watermarks?

JGary
10-13-2009, 11:24 PM
I updated my website this week with new work and made some minor changes. I have a lot of licensed work on my site (Hasbro, Disney, Sony, etc.) and was wondering how people handle copyrights when displaying work done for licensed properties. Copyright text below each image, or maybe some sort of light watermark over the images?

Any other feedback on the website would be greatly appreciated as well. I'm definitely not a web person and have kept the site very simple.

www.digitaljackson3d.com

Thanks for any help!

Silkrooster
10-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Very nice work. Any image that is copyrighted make sure you put some kind of a watermark on the image self. It doesn't have to be very visible, just enough to see it. But I assume most of these images have already been sent to the copyright office for processing. If not they should be, it will make your job easier if you need to retrieve any monetary damages.

As for the site it self, there is a lot of going back to the main page. You might want to try a directory approach where you can select any page from anyplace on your site. Then the viewer can move from one to the next. also the back button should try to be in the same location for each web page then the viewer won't have to hunt for it.

JGary
10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
As for the site it self, there is a lot of going back to the main page. You might want to try a directory approach where you can select any page from anyplace on your site. Then the viewer can move from one to the next. also the back button should try to be in the same location for each web page then the viewer won't have to hunt for it.

Thanks! I eventually plan to do a complete redesign and its good to hear some suggestions.

meatycheesyboy
10-15-2009, 05:57 PM
As a basic web site it is fine. It's perfectly functional and serviceable but I do have one thing that I'd suggest.

I'm going to take a guess and say that you are working on a monitor with a resolution of either 1600x1200 or 1920x1200.

I say that because on my work computer (1920x1200) the front page displays quite nicely and is perfectly framed but on my home computer (1650x1080) the bottom gets cut off.

Since you're target audience is mainly designers and other 3D artists, I think you can probably assume that resolutions are going to be on the high side but designing for a 1200 pixel vertical really limits the number of people that will see your website properly.

BTW, I love your work.

JGary
10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm going to take a guess and say that you are working on a monitor with a resolution of either 1600x1200 or 1920x1200.

I say that because on my work computer (1920x1200) the front page displays quite nicely and is perfectly framed but on my home computer (1650x1080) the bottom gets cut off.

Good observation. Yes, monitor resolution is 1600x1200. Funny thing is, I originally had the homepage dimensions at 1024x768, but when I updated the site last week and made some changes to the homepage art, the vertical length increased. I probably originally designed the homepage to take into account smaller monitor resolutions, but have since completely forgotton. I guess it's sometimes best to leave things alone.

Image comparing new layout to original 1024x768

BTW, I love your work.

Thanks!!