PDA

View Full Version : "LWcore" plugins

VonBon
10-13-2009, 05:11 PM
i'm currently on the 12th day of SAMS learning C.

i've heard that the new core will be using python and was wanting to
know if i'm wasting my time learning "C".

i was thinking C++ but a friend of mine told me to learn "C".

if i learn "C" will it be alot for me to cross over to python?

hrgiger
10-13-2009, 05:18 PM
CORE is written in C++ so I'm not sure how useful it would be to learn C. Here's a good page that sums up python pretty well: http://hetland.org/writing/instant-python.html

KillMe
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
core is c++ and currently python scripting but apparently through something called swig can use other languages

lightwave as it stands now is c though

got no idea what it all means though as i'm no programer

WCameron
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I've always been told a good grounding in C would be a good thing to moving on to C++....

- Will.

GregMalick
10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
i'm currently on the 12th day of SAMS learning C.

i've heard that the new core will be using python and was wanting to
know if i'm wasting my time learning "C".

i was thinking C++ but a friend of mine told me to learn "C".

if i learn "C" will it be alot for me to cross over to python?

If my plan was to use python, then I'd be spending time learning that.
But maybe you have other uses in mind for those C skills.
If not, go to the library and get some python books.

JCG
10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
If you're using the "Teach yourself C in 24 hours" book, I'd say that absolutely everything you see in the first 12 days will translate almost directly into C++.

Declaring variables, operators, for and while loops, if/else/switch, pointers... all that will work pretty much identically in C++. The syntax is almost identical on purpose. (Strings [that's the next chapter, right?] will be quite different since there are many string manipulating classes that you can use in C++. However, it won't be a total waste either. Manipulation, reading and printing text to screen is just easier in C++, but the logic is similar).

It's often said that if you start making bigger projects and getting more practice in C, it is sometimes harder to get out of that design mentality and thinking in an object-oriented way than if you start fresh with C++, or even C#, or VB.net. However, completing the "24 hours" book would definitely not cause any problem of that sort.

I think if you pick up Sam's "Teach yourself C++ in..." (after this one), you'll spend the first half of the book constantly going, "oh, I already knew this!!"

Something that you might want to try after learning plain C/C++ would be a beginner tutorial on Qt (since CORE is built on Qt), like the "My first Qt GUI application" at: http://sector.ynet.sk/qt4-tutorial/

VonBon
10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
thanks yall.

its the SAMS "C" in 21 days, but it does have a bonus week to prep
you for c++.

i also bought the c++ in 24hrs.

i will take a look at the "QT" cause GUIs is one of the things i'm
interested in.

thanks again.